• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dwgill11

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Hey everyone, I am new here and fairly new to handguns as well. I just bought a Beretta PX4 Storm .45 ACP type F and I am hoping to get everyones thoughts on the PX4 family. I think I am looking to trade out of the .45 and down to the full or compact size 9mm. Has anyone made this switch or has shot both of them? If so, what did you think? I really like the pistol, I am just so much more comfortable shooting a 9mm. Any and all input will be greatly appreciated.
    Gun Zone Deals

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I have the 9mm PX4 compact and it's a nice shooting gun. Very accurate, not much recoil.
    I have not shot the .45 though so I have nothing to compare.

tx_transplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Greenville, TX
    I have the full size in .40, which is my EDC. It's a great shooter, very accurate and minimal recoil. But, I haven't tried the 9mm, so can't offer any help there.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    I have the full size in .40, which is my EDC. It's a great shooter, very accurate and minimal recoil. But, I haven't tried the 9mm, so can't offer any help there.

I've owned both the .40 and 9mm and shot the .45. There's noticeable difference in recoil, but barely enough to make any decisions on recoil alone. I ended up getting the .40 first because I wanted something more than the 9mm stopping power, but didn't want the cost of the .45. I bought the 9mm later on and sold it almost immediately because the mags are indistinguishable and actually fit in either gun and that was just too much risk for me.

The .40 is my EDC and it gets a beating under the gut of my 6'2 350lbs. frame. It's been through the cold of New England, the heat (and sweat) of Texas, and keeps in trucking. There's no doubt in my mind my life can depend on the pistol.

IF your concerned with a .45, then you'll have no issues with the 9mm (and get a lot more rounds stacked into it too). If it were me and I could afford to pay .45ACP prices and shoot as much I do, I'd have the .45, but that's just personal preference really.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BG1960

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Unincorporated East Harris County
    OP, I have [cough, cough] handguns in my safe, including a 9mm PX4 Subcompact. Out of all of them, my EDC is a PX4 .45 just like yours. Don't know how it happened, but that one is my favorite for carry. Don't know what to tell you on the stepping down to a 9mm. Obviously it isn't a choice I made. I will say that IMHO the PX4 line is the most unappreciated handgun line around, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

dwgill11

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Thanks everyone.. I just got an email from a buddy of mine who has a cz 75 p-07 and we may work out a trade for it.
    Hate to ask again, but any thoughts on the CZs

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    CZ 75 is a tried and true firearm. Many have cloned it (including the baby Eagle from MResearch). Personal preference at that point.

With any firearm second hand, you better make sure there is little wear on it and it functions.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...any thoughts on the CZs
    I've shot many CZ-pattern pistols and liked most. I own one that's too large to carry but it's a joy to shoot. It's a solid, proven design.

If you're thinking about a trade, I hope you can arrange to meet your buddy at a range and each of you run 100 rounds or so through both. Since the Beretta PX4 is a perfectly fine firearm, the choice is more a matter of "feel". One will simply feel more right in your hand and as you shoot it. One will seem more natural. One will seem to let you hit what you want to hit with less effort (and probably quicker, too). On paper, one will group more consistently for you in casual, off-hand shooting (as opposed to testing off bags which shouldn't play a part in deciding on a carry gun, imo.)

In the end, when you shoot two very different pistols side by side you'll find yourself saying "I just like that one better" even if you can't quite articulate why.

Let that subjective, touchy-feel stuff be your guide. When you're comparing two perfectly adequate designs, that's where the only significant differences lie.

Just my opinion. YMMV.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I've got the PX4 in .40 S&W and it's a terrific gun. I think benenglish's suggestion is a very valid one: shoot both pistols before making a decision.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    The nice thing about the PX4 in .45 is the mags being compatible with the .45 carbine. I'd LOVE to find one of those.

I've been looking for years. Seen plenty in 9mm, but none in .40 or .45. You have to make sure it's the right version too, because the CX4 has a model that can take the 92 mags or the PX4 mags.

KELEKONA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2013
    Texas
    I have shot all 3 calibers and ended up buying the .40 for a couple reasons. First reason was that I wanted a little more power than a 9mm. Second reason was that I wanted more capacity than a .45. The 9 definitely was the easiest to shoot, the .40 is a little snappy but with practice is tamable. I also have the CX4 in .40, definitely worth every penny!

As suggested I would try to shoot both guns, side by side, before you make a trade. The PX4 is super reliable and doesnt get the recognition it deserves.

BTW if you have larger hands then add a hogue hand-all grip to the PX4, makes a difference!

jbgramps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Austin
    I'm quite happy with my 9MM PX4. The only problem I have is my wife shoots it better than her old J-frame, so she has claimed the PX4 as hers. The PX4 doesn't get enough respect IMHO.

Top Bottom