• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Screenshot 2022-10-04 at 23-50-58 Why is the dust cover on a 92FS slanted while the M9 and ear...png

It doesn't get near as much attention as the 9 vs 40 vs 45 debate, 1911 vs Glock, or the "Is the P320 a weapon of ass destruction or the best thing since Saint Browning bestowed his blessing upon us" debates...

there is contention and debate among fanboys - Beretta dust covers. Old school 92's, 92FS's, and the M9 have straight dust covers. To my eye, they even angle downward slightly. I personally find them fugly. That one area ruins the lines and sleekness of the overall design.

They changed the frame in the 90's because .40's were cracking Beretta frames like they did Glock locking blocks - Glock went to their three-pin design. Beretta beefed up the frame around the locking block. Since they use the same frame between 9's and 40's - that change carried over to the civilian 92FS and variants. The M9 remains with the straight dust cover, because government regulation is so damn retarded that it'd damn near take an act of congress to allow the upgraded pistol to be phased in, even if everything else remained the same, despite the fact that these guns are functionally identical.

If you note on the image above at the back of the grip - the backstrap on the old frame is also not radiused / blended into the grip - whereas the mid 90's-onward guns, the backstrap is melted into the grip for a more comfortable feel.
    Gun Zone Deals

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    There are differences in my M9 and 92G Brigadier but I don't notice any difference in them at the range. As they've been neglected this year, they'll visit the range today during my RSO time.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I put a few magazines thru my M9 today after not having fired it for several months. It will never be carried but it was enjoyable to shoot.

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    I have small hands. The original, straight dustcover frame makes the gun too big for my hand. But the rear strap indentation on the newer frame design makes the gun fit my hands perfectly.

So, while I have owned 29 Beretta 92 variants over the past 30 years, I am not a fan of the older, M9 style frame.

Right now - this one is my favorite:

7LkcwRX.jpg

Except now, I have fiber optic sights on mine:

oAcYASe.jpg

6xkUgsu.jpg

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    I'm cornfuseled - how does the dust cover effect your grip?

Because the models with the curved dustcover ALSO have a slight change in the grip. I said it before.

The straight dustcover models have the bigger grip.

When they changed the dustcover, they also changed the grip. That slight grip change also makes a huge difference for people with smaller hands.

Top Bottom