• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kawi jm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    I'd go with a Spartan over the GP6. IMHO a Colt would be the best, but you will find a lot of support on this board for STI. They seem to make a very nice product and made right here in Tejas.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Rock Island Armory.See centerfiresystems.com or check them out on Gunbroker.com.I have five of them and all have been reliable out of the box.They are also affordable and they have a good variety to choose from.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    I own a Spartan and it is one of my favorite's.The frame's are made by Rock Island and STI make's everything else.Unfortunately STI's are very expensive.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I am thinking about buying a 1911 .45 that is not too expensive but is still reliable. What should I be looking at?

Expensive is relative. A $3000 Wilson, Baer or Brown is expensive to me. $700-$900 Kimber, Springfield etc. is not expensive. When you get down to or break the $500 mark, if possible, I think you are in a range of getting what you pay for. It may be perfect for what you want/need though.

Look for older Kimbers (preferably pre-series II which are ones that don't have "II" on the slide). You can come up great guns for $600-$700.

I'd go with a Spartan over the GP6. IMHO a Colt would be the best, but you will find a lot of support on this board for STI. They seem to make a very nice product and made right here in Tejas.

Colt being best, especially for the value, would be argued these days but some of the STI's would be awesome; but not inexpensive compared to others.

Also, The OP isn't from Texas so the STI loyalty would take a different twist. :p

GULFPILOT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Ausin, Texas
    I am thinking about buying a 1911 .45 that is not too expensive but is still reliable. What should I be looking at?

I was in your position awhile back and decided to go with the Kimber Warrior. Wife wouldnt let me spring for Nighthawk, so I chose the Kimber. 1k is still expensive for a pistol, but I think you get what you pay for when it comes to 1911's. I see you're from Oxford, nice area especially with Ole Miss there. Spent alot of time in Ms., most of my childhood in and around Meridian.

Green Rebel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Oxford, MS USA
    yes sir. can't beat the scenery down here. always a good thanksgiving when both the rebels and longhorns win. as far as price range, 500-900 is reasonable for now.

GULFPILOT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Ausin, Texas
    yes sir. can't beat the scenery down here. always a good thanksgiving when both the rebels and longhorns win. as far as price range, 500-900 is reasonable for now.

Checkout the Kimber TLE (Tactical Law Enforcement) model. This is the LAPD Swat Team model and can be found around 800-900.

kawi jm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008

Look into the Colt XSE line. They fit in your price range and are shooters right out of the box.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    I like my Para SSP Stainles, single stack, $699. Just as good as most of the Kimbers I have shot and or handled.... although I am going to pick up a CDP Pro soon....

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I have the CDP II which is the full frame and i love it. Recoils less than most .40's but it also cost about 1300 out the door

oldnbald

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Abilene, Texas
    I agree with mac79912 about the RIA. I only have one of them at the present time, a Compact Tactical, and I really like it. Eats anything and is more accurate than these old eyes of mine. $440 on Gunbroker auction. May be getting more later. I am just cannot afford a Kimber, STI, Blackhawk, Les Baer, etc., so I have to shop for the less expensive guns. I have 4 Llamas, a Taurus, and a used Para p12-45. All have turned out to be reliable, accurate and good handling firearms. Works for me.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I am not sure what you guys are going with this... Dont get me wrong Taurus, Llamas, etc... Are ok pistols for the price but if you have the money as I see you do for a STI, Kimber, etc... Go for it!!!! Between the Range of 500 and 900 you can get Anything ranging from a Para, Kimbers, STI, Springfield, etc...

Just my

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    It's hard to beat the Kimber Custom II in terms of price and features. They are a gun that needs a break-in, but they certainly are good pistols. The TLE model isn't much more and offers some very good options (front stippling, night sights).

If you can afford the extra, I think STI's are a better product than Kimber. Fit and finish are higher quality, and the triggers are much better.

I would not waste my time with a Colt. Their older stuff like the Series 70 models are good shooters and good looking guns, but they simply are not on par with their pricing. Frankly the Series 80 triggers feel like junk to me, and after handling a number of Colt National Match grade and higher pistols, I'm certainly not sold. They are beautiful guns though, and a Delta Elite would be great fun (10mm).

Springfield seems to be kinda hit or miss. I've shot some that were tack-driving smooth operators, and some (of the same model mind you) that were open groups and hard / gritty in the action. I've seen alot of them come in, and I think they are an excellent starting platform for later upgrades.

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    I own two 1911s in your price range: a stainless Springfield GI and a Kimber TLE II (nonrail).

Both have been 100% reliable and the TLE II is VERY accurate.

I have owned the GI for about 6 years and for a basic 1911..I am shocked at how good it really is. If you can handle the dinky sights...you'd be amazed at how straight it shoots! The only ammo is balked on was alloy cased Blazers, but my older Colts balk on these as well. Something about the lighter alloy cases messing with the timing of the action? Other than those...every other HP and FMJ I ran through the GI ran just fine. Hydra-Shoks, Silvertips and SXTs all ran great in the GI. MOst of the FMJs I have fed it have been WWB and Blazer Brass. For the money...I really think the Springer GI is a great basic 1911.

My TLE II was bought about 8 months ago from Tomball Pawn for about 800 bucks. So far, its been a perfect feeder. The Kimber manual SAYS to use 500rds of fmjs for a "break in" period. To test it...about 200rds into my "break in" shooting, I ran a 20rd box of 230gr Hydra Shoks and a mag of 185gr Winchester Silvertips through the TLE...just to see what would happen All fed just fine...no problems.

Some like to poo poo Kimbers...but I had borrowed two other Kimbers and with shooting my own TLE II....I can honestly say that every time I have shot a Kimber, I had very positive results. The first few mags out of my new TLE II put one ragged hole in the target at 15 yards...workd for me! The night sights on the TLE are also very nice. All in all..for 800 bucks or so, I really like the TLE II. This is also the pistol that the LAPD SWAT team carries.

So I vote the Springer GI or Kimber TLE II....I was not expecting them to be this good...but they sure are nice shooters. I also own two Colts, so I am picky but these two MUCH cheaper 1911s shot as good or better than the Colts.

- Brickboy240

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    The STI Spartan is nice, but if you have the scratch I'd go with a Kimber TLE. I dont own one, but I have run many a rounds through one that a friend has and it has run like a champ. However, to the best of my knowledge it is NOT the gun LAPD SWAT uses. Its based on the gun they use. Springfields are nice, but the only one I have owned is a TRP so I cant vouch for the Loaded jobbers.

Top Bottom