• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • carney

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2008
    Outside DFW metromess.
    Alright I'll be buying a 1911 before too long, and the price limit is $1,000. I'm looking for a full size stainless model, and I am open to most any brand. What 1911 would you buy and why?
    Lynx Defense

HighVelocity

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    DFW, TX
    For 1k, get an SS Springfield Armory "loaded" model. It comes with nightsights, beavertail grip safety etc. You'll have enough money left over to buy a fist full of quality 8rd magazines, practice ammo and a holster.

I personally go back and forth between my SA loaded and my Kimber Pro Carry. The main reason I recommend the SA over the Kimber is that you'll get more features for less money and SA customer service is 2nd to none. As for quality, either SA or Kimber would fill the bill.

There are less expensive guns like Rock Island Armory, High Standard and others but you get what you pay for in the 1911 world. A cheap one is usually just that, a cheap one.

My .02

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I guess I'm biased but I would get a Kimber Stainless full size. Kimber's customer service has been excellent from my experience they will answer your questions over the phone and give honest responses. People that have sent in their guns get them in short time from what I've seen on the 1911 forums.

STI is in Georgetown, might give them a ring to see if they offer any stainless options. I'm sure their guns run good too.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Another vote for Kimber.

My story with Kimber's CS is a long one, but it's an example of a company that takes care of their product with no regards for some warranty on paper or excuses. Above and beyond doesn't accurately describe what they did for me, the 3rd owner of a low round count pre-series II Pro Carry HD (6-7 years old).

And the gun shoots like a dream.

But there are a lot of good suns out there. Look for good pre-owned ones. I found out without realizing it, great deals on great guns pop up when you least expect it.

If you're looking for new, try www.sportingarms.com. They are in Lewisville, local for me, but do most of their business on-line and are a Kimber Master dealer, as well as many other lines. They got me quotes that were competitive with on-line quotes by small, el cheapo shops even after considering paying tax. Tom and Becky are not only really nice people, they're great to deal with.

carney

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2008
    Outside DFW metromess.
    I'm kinda digging the looks of this one, not bad I don't think for $727.

16354.jpg

Still got the stainless but it looks different than every other all stainless 1911.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_24/products_id/16354

txbirddog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    If you are willing to go away from SS, I might go after a KZ45 from Wilson Combat. There is one right now on Gunbroker.com. It is almost new. You would get the service and reliability of Wilson with a few extra rounds. I am looking for a KZ9 myself.

If you look towards a major brand, Kimber, SA, Colt, etc., look to a slightly used one as you can save hundreds. This is a good time to find some good prices around tax time and with current economical conditions. You can then use the savings for mags, holsters(you will need several) and ammo. Best of luck.

India0311

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    If I had a $1000 cap on a new 1911, I would argue an STI would be the most bang for the buck. As far as fitting, finish, accuracy, reliability. You're not going to have to get it tuned to be reliable for the most part.

Sorry but I have to disagree...you don't always get what you pay for in 1911s. Some cheapys are reliable and accurate, some priceys are unreliable. A 1911 that doesn't cycle at least makes one heckuva fistload, however...

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    If I had a $1000 cap on a new 1911, I would argue an STI would be the most bang for the buck. As far as fitting, finish, accuracy, reliability. You're not going to have to get it tuned to be reliable for the most part.

Sorry but I have to disagree...you don't always get what you pay for in 1911s. Some cheapys are reliable and accurate, some priceys are unreliable. A 1911 that doesn't cycle at least makes one heckuva fistload, however...

I'll admit I went out on a limb when I bought my Springer GI in SS. It is by far one of the cheapest name-brand 1911s at $515 sticker. It's been 100% reliable since the magazine springs have been worked in, and it is way more accurate than I am for sure. The fit and finish are not perfect, but what $500 gun is? I had a 1911 buff/gunsmith friend of mine go through and clean up some of the hurried production crud from inside it. That is one of the things you pay for when you spend more though, so a pricier one would look better inside.

aerod1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Garland, TX
    Ooooooh, I looove my Springfield Armory loaded model. It is accurate, when I do my part, and is 100% reliable. This gun has never failed to function properly since I bought it about 5 years ago:cool:.

bentol888

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    Pt1911

I'm pretty sure you'd be hard pressed to find a better deal (for your money) than the Taurus. A little over $500 with all the extras plus the trigger job, standard.

RIATAC45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Correct me if I'm wrong but are Rock Island and STI not connected somehow, or maybe they just get parts from them or something, or maybe I'm just crazy. In any case I wouldn't let that bother me one bit, I have a Rock Island Tactical, and I love it. I had to replace the recoil spring due to a weak factory one, but for the money I saved vs a Brand name, I have alot more money for mags and ammo. It does all I need it to do. For a first 1911 I have no regrets. Just my $.02

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Rock Island Armory 1911's are made in the Phillipines. As far as I am aware, STI makes their stuff here in Texas so I really don't think they have anything in common and aren't connected in any way. If someone knows any different, please feel free to correct me. :)

ReVrEnD_0341

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Last year there was an article out on "cheap" 1911's. The writer did one of the scariest tough tests I have ever seen. Everything from firing in mud, covered in mud, submerged in water firing, run over by a truck, dropped from some height over 10ft. It was an interesting read to say the least. Kimber, Wilson, Colt and SA were in the test as well as a Rock Island GI. The only guns that finished the T&E and could still fire after were the SA and Rock Island.

The article was in a magazine I have somewhere around here. I'll try to find it unless someone knows of a link online.

The SA loaded is one of my favorite 1911's out there. Never had a problem with mine.

India0311

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Last year there was an article out on "cheap" 1911's. The writer did one of the scariest tough tests I have ever seen. Everything from firing in mud, covered in mud, submerged in water firing, run over by a truck, dropped from some height over 10ft. It was an interesting read to say the least. Kimber, Wilson, Colt and SA were in the test as well as a Rock Island GI. The only guns that finished the T&E and could still fire after were the SA and Rock Island.

The article was in a magazine I have somewhere around here. I'll try to find it unless someone knows of a link online.

The SA loaded is one of my favorite 1911's out there. Never had a problem with mine.

Here is the article you mention:

http://www.advancedtactical.com/sweeneyarticle.pdf

I am an admitted 1911 snob, but I bought a Rock GI based off that article and numerous testimonies from others...and I have right at 5,000rds through my Rock. It is a workhorse, and arguably not "cheap", but rather inexpensive (paid $400 with tax out the door).

In my opinion, the best bang for the buck is the Rock Island Tactical (since it has all the bells and whistles so many seek), but like I said, if you have a $1000 cap, you have more options.

Rock Island Armory and STI DO have a relationship...it's called Armscor. Armscor produces both the RIAs and the STI Spartan. The Spartan has STI internals, but the frame, barrel, slide, and fitting is all done by the same armorers that put together the RIAs.

Just because something is made in the PI doesn't mean it's not quality. Rocks are tough guns.

TexasHK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    Seguin, Tx
    I have to vote for Kimber also. I've heard good things about STI but have never shot one and I'm not a huge fan of the Springfield line, I've shot one and just didn't care for it much.

With a grand, you might look toward a Kimber Custom II TLE line with serations on the front and backstrap of the grip, magwell and night sights. For a little more, you get the light rail and a little money to play with.

I

TexasHK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    Seguin, Tx
    I have to vote for Kimber also. I've heard good things about STI but have never shot one and I'm not a huge fan of the Springfield line, I've shot one and just didn't care for it much.

With a grand, you might look toward a Kimber Custom II TLE line with serations on the front and backstrap of the grip, magwell and night sights. For a little more, you get the light rail and a little money to play with.

I have a a Kimber and through about 1500 rounds it has jammed once, but that due to cheap mags...

If your buying a 1911, just remember that they like a healthy diet of good magazines. I like both Wilson Combats and Tripp Cobramags. Wilsons run about $25 out of Midway and Tripps are about $30 - $35 each...but with these two you get what you pay for...and your 1911 with thank you for it.

By the way, the one magazine caused jam was a kimber mag. I love the weapons, but relegate there mags to range use only.

Kerbouchard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2008
    Dallas
    Well, you ask two seperate questions, so I will answer both.

The best 1911 for the money...Springfield Loaded. Hands down.

The best 1911 below or at 1K...Kimber CDP or Kimber TLE. You can see them at http://www.chltx.com/KIMBERS.php (the page takes a while to load). I carry the Ultra Carry or the CDP depending on the mood, and my favorite Kimber is the Grand Raptor, hands down, but with the Raptor, you're a little out of your price range.

As far as the Kimber Mags, they have improved greatly, and I have had no problems with any of them.

Top Bottom