• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GI-John

Hurry up and wait!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Houston/San Antonio TX
    I have the RRA Entry tactical AR15. I enjoy the range time i get with it. We are all aware of the ammo situation. I am looking into Conversion kits with .22Lr. From experience, does anyone have some suggestions. I am aware of that .22 is not the strongest caliber, I am just seeking some more recreational time with it at a cost effective rate. I am currently interested in the CMMG kit with the full size AR type mags. Any critical advice in terms of reliability, cost, durability? thanks
    ARJ Defense ad

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    was going to post a thread like this - searched first, and found this one.

so... any new ideas? i'm on the verge of buying. need to know which one. not going with a .22 upper - have decided on conversion.

like OP i am looking for those of you with personal experience.

:) thanks

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    thanks for the link

Np, I see them online avg about $190, Bass Pro Shop has them in stock for just under $200, and I saw two different models at the gun show this weekend one was $150 and the other $170 but nothing on the packaging said anything about the difference one was black and the other a silver/chrome so I need to look into it more.

Youtube review video

CMMG's ammo warning (CMMG Inc. - Ammunition Warning, Warranty Info What to Look For, Warning Signs, Bad Ammo)

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    The CMMG stainless 22lr conversion is good kit. Gave one to my brother for his birthday. I use a CMMG dedicated 22lr upper. In my experience they perform best with CCI Mini-Mags, but Federal Spitfires worked well too.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    yeah im thinking i will be going with CMMG -

i hear that i lucked out with my taurus pt92 Ceiner conversion.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    The CMMG stainless 22lr conversion is good kit. Gave one to my brother for his birthday. I use a CMMG dedicated 22lr upper. In my experience they perform best with CCI Mini-Mags, but Federal Spitfires worked well too.

i just took the plunge on a CMMG alpha kit.

Once it gets here and i get it to the range a new report will be in the rimfire section!

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    i just took the plunge on a CMMG alpha kit.

Once it gets here and i get it to the range a new report will be in the rimfire section!

Awesome that would be appreciated, I'm in the process of working out the details on a kimber 1911 .22 conversion slide kit right now with a member here so that's coming first for me.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    that sounds like a lot of fun.

definitely on my list - along with a new 1911!

GoldenBear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    El Paso
    I have the RRA Entry tactical AR15. I enjoy the range time i get with it. We are all aware of the ammo situation. I am looking into Conversion kits with .22Lr. From experience, does anyone have some suggestions. I am aware of that .22 is not the strongest caliber, I am just seeking some more recreational time with it at a cost effective rate. I am currently interested in the CMMG kit with the full size AR type mags. Any critical advice in terms of reliability, cost, durability? thanks

I picked up the CMMG conversion bolt, in Stainless (in the model line immediately before the Evolution series). It works, it's quick and simple to swap out, and I get practice with my exact same optic/trigger/etc setup. If I had to do it again, I'd buy the conversion bolt again.

For me, it shoots a bit lower. Grouping is about 1" to 1-1/2" at 25 yds (smallest groups using CCI MiniMag). The magazines have little plastic shims that you can file down for an exact-fit to your mag well.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    I picked up the CMMG conversion bolt, in Stainless (in the model line immediately before the Evolution series). It works, it's quick and simple to swap out, and I get practice with my exact same optic/trigger/etc setup. If I had to do it again, I'd buy the conversion bolt again.

For me, it shoots a bit lower. Grouping is about 1" to 1-1/2" at 25 yds (smallest groups using CCI MiniMag). The magazines have little plastic shims that you can file down for an exact-fit to your mag well.

Appreciate you posting your opinion and glad to hear its working well for you, will definitely get on someday.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Took mine out for some minor plinking. nothing comprehensive just a quick function test.

good on 5 gallon buckets out to 20 yards or so.

:)

Marlowe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    out in the boonies
    I wouldn't mind getting one of the CMMG's based on what I've heard about them, but for me the gold standard is an old Colt one I got decades ago: I'd love it if I could ever find more or larger magazines, but the thing's been absolutely reliable...

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    im guessing the magazines currently available wont fit the old colt model. but i wonder how hard it would be to ​make​ one fit...

Bear67

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    East Texas
    I have both the CMMG stainless conversion and a dedicated CMMG upper 18". They both work fine, but the .22 upper is more accurate especially out to 50-75 yards. But I use the conversion more often, so the upper may be for sale. The grand kids really like to burn ammo with the .22 LR Ar's.

Mike D Texas

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Parker County
    I have the CMMG stainless conversion and it works good in my Colt 6920.

The only time I have issues is if I try to run it really fast, then I will get an occasional FTE but it's pretty rare.

Sent from iPhone/Tapatalk

Top Bottom