• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rifletex91

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Houston
    I've been shooting this little rifle for some time now and have about 5000 rounds through it. I has never had any problems with it and only the occasional duds in the ammo. It's a Marlin 795 that I bought me about a year ago for 120 before the 20 dollar rebate. The barrel on this Marlin is thicker the the one on my AKs. I find it very accurate out to 100 yards, and good out to 200. I can put the bullet right on top of the other hole at 50 yards. In my opinion I think this is the best .22 for under 150. Thoughts and opinions. Also, I want to get a second .22 and was thinking of a Ruger 10/22. I have heard nothing but good things and was hoping you guys can give me some more good reviews on it to give me that one more little nudge to push me over into buying one.
    Capitol Armory ad

Last edited by a moderator:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I think a Savage Mk II F might be a good bet. Walmart has them for around $127...and I've been saving my spare change in anticipation of picking one up one of these days...

Cheers! M2

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    i like my marlin mod 60 its a tube fed though its definitely more than any of my 10/22's out of the box. i also enjoy my henry lever .22

Outbreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    I have both a Stevens 300, and a Savage Mark II FV. The Stevens is just like the Savage Mark II basic model, just without the Accu-trigger. The Savage was bought solely to have a bolt-action host for my .22 Suppressor. Both are tack drivers at 50. I've shot the Stevens out to 200 with good results against steel. The Savage is pretty new to me, and I haven't shot it any further than 50 yet.

The Stevens was a bargain a few years ago for roughly $120 at Nagel's in San Antonio. The Savage is the heavy barrel model, cut to 16" and threaded, came in under $300 on gunbroker. Both take the same 5 or 10 round mags, which Walmart stocked for a while for less than $20.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    For a cheap out of the box shooter, I think it would be very hard to beat the Marlin. It is unlikely that an out of the box 10/22 will shoot as well. Now if you want to spend $$ on modifications, the 10/22 is a no brainer.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I have a Marlin bolt-action tube-fed .22 that I bought about 8 years ago. There's no telling how many rounds I have through it, probably close to 50,000 at this point. Very accurate and reliable. I think it was $139 at Academy. It was the first gun I ever purchased and I'll never sell it.

mikeofcontex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Midlothian, TX
    Marlin model 60 or magazine equivalent... if you can find it in stainless, it's even better. I have a couple. It shoots anything and is plenty accurate for head shots on squirrels. I've chased 100 yard accuracy with 22LR and think I've finally stumbled onto the problem... even the highest velocity ammo goes subsonic at about 75 yards and destabilizes... for me, it answers the question of why I can get dime sized groups at 50 yards and usually nothing better than an inch and a half at 100.

Top Bottom