• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tony2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Magnolia
    I am looking to get a .308 that i can shoot subsonic. I see several different possibilities. Is there one that will work as a standard as well as subsonic or is it best to stick specifically to one use. I know the ballistics have to be spread between sonic and subsonic
    Hurley's Gold

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    To shoot both you will want a bolt action (or is that what you are thinking anyways?).

I don't know that one brand is better than any other besides preference and options. I like Savage myself but every brand has it's fans.

Tony2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Magnolia
    I am a CZ fan and it probably will be a bolt gun looked at a savage yesterday and I was impressed with the way the trigger broke. I started this off with 308. But would the 300 blk round be better for a dedicated system. I reload but I understand it can be difficult to reload subsonics in the bigger case shells due to flash over.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I am not very familiar with the 300 Blackout but I believe the supersonic rounds are very anemic. It just doesn't have the case capacity for any real power.

I would go with the .308 personally if you wanted a serious long range round. I haven't experimented much with subsonic rounds yet but I believe good info is available.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    The ballistic performance of all subsonic rounds is very close. It is simple a matter of velocity and ballistic coefficient. The .308, .223, .300blk, and even 9mm will be fairly equal. A .45 is usually all little slower and does not carry the same range. At a hundred yards they would be very equal ballistically, except the energy. Personally I prefer a 9mm for subsonic applications since it can be fired from a pistol or carbine. The 9mm 147g projectile is sufficient for any application, and it is far more inexpensive and readily available.
    There is no doubt that a full power .308 is an excellent round, but reliably finding and firing the subsonic version requires additional constraints. A bolt action is probably the best solution. Some firearms like the FAL can turn off the gas system easlily, making it a single shot rifle that must be manually cycled. Yet a twist of the gas regulator makes it feed standard .308 normally.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Charlie, in a ballistic sense you are right, but the 300 Blk was designed to do this. The 762x51 wasn't and has issues throwing that bucket at those velocities.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    What is the bullet weight on a subsonic .300 blk round? I have not seen any for sale lately, but I do see a lot of reloaders having no problem with supply. The cartridge seems to have a wide variety bullet weights available, but for a full pressure round what kind of weight are we looking at for subsonic?
    It appears that my Ti-rant 9mm is rated for subsonic .300 blk, but not full power.

Last edited:

Ready.Fire.Aim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is a quick summary from shooting hundreds of my subsonic hand loads through a chronograph. My suppressed hunting rifle calibers are .308, .300Black, and .44Special.

Rifling twist is the key. You will want to launch the heaviest bullet possible if hunting with sub sonics.
    A 1:12 twist will only stabilize a bullet length up to 180 grains at subsonic velocities. Most factory .308 are 1:12.
    A 1:7 twist will easily stabilize 220 grains at subsonic velocities. Most factory .300 Blackout are either 1:7 or 1:8 twist.

The speed of sound is 1126 feet per second. Any size projectile whether it is .22LR or .44magnum will create a supersonic " crack" sound if faster than 1126 FPS when the shock wave passes an object. With a suppressor, you can reduce noise from muzzle blast and also the flash but can't eliminate supersonic crack thus the need to stay less than 1126.fps.

The next to consider is down range energy. The formula for Energy is (WEIGHT of bullet) times ( SPEED squared). So let's assume the max velocity you load for is 1050 FPS. The only way to get higher down range energy is with a heavier ( longer) bullet.

It takes a faster twist rate like one turn in eight inches to stabilize a longer 220grain bullet. My .308 bolt rifle came from the factory optimized to shoot shorter 168 grain Sierra Matchkings through a one turn in twelve inches barrel. It will only stabilize 180 grain bullets at subsonic speeds.

Thus most folks like me transitioned from .308 to .300Black to get a barrel with a faster twist. I could have re-barreled my .308, I bought a new .300Black rifle instead.

The other consideration is most bullets wont expand at subsonic speeds, they will only deform and tumble on impact. Lehigh Defense has special bullets that expand at subsonic speeds but are expensive. I have 3 boxes but have yet to get a shot hunting with them. I also have some 245 grain cast lead bullets that should expand at subsonic speed. I shoot them in a Thompson Encore .300 Black SBR.

Smaller case capacity is an advantage .300black has for hand loading sub sonics.

I hunt hogs at night in my pastures with a suppressed 300Black bolt, 300B AR SBR, 300B Thompson Encore SBR, FN Patrol bolt .308 integrally suppressed by Johns Guns, and also a integrally suppressed Ruger 77/44 .44 Magnum.

I stick to 50 yards or under and go for DRT head shots with NV. I stalk on foot from upwind using a Flir thermal viewer. Hunting at night on foot is a huge rush. Much more primeval than hunting deer from a blind.

Good info on .300black subsonic here 300BlkTalk ? Index page

Have fun,
    RFA

Last edited:

Tony2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Magnolia
    Thanks RFA thats what i was really looking for the 300 is a 308 caliber isnt it. I do reoad and know some the assciated problems with reloading subsonics in ful size case 30.06 or .308 . I am heading the same way hogs at night on foot. I will check out the sight. Looks more and more like a .300 BLK. would like to know more about the night vision and which way to go with that

Ready.Fire.Aim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks RFA thats what i was really looking for the 300 is a 308 caliber isnt it. I do reoad and know some the assciated problems with reloading subsonics in ful size case 30.06 or .308 . I am heading the same way hogs at night on foot. I will check out the sight. Looks more and more like a .300 BLK. would like to know more about the night vision and which way to go with that

Knowing what I know now, if I only had one rifle, I would buy a .308 in 1:10 twist. You could shoot subs or supers accurately out of this rifle.
    Centerfire Rifle - Model 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD - Remington Centerfire Rifles

Trailboss powder works great in .308 subsonic and fills the case up. I have some great loads worked up for .308 subsonic but are customized for my integrally suppressed .308. They sound like an air tool being unchucked when fired. Also very accurate.

My next choice would be the same rifle in .300Blackout. I just bought one like it this year, works great with supers and subs. It is a very handy little rifle with a 16" threaded barrel and a good trigger. If you don't ever plan any long range shooting then pick it over the .308, it is a good choice.
    By Popular Demand - Remington® Proudly Introduces the Model 700TM SPS Tactical 300 Blackout®

.300Black also has an advantage if you just want to buy an upper for an AR15.
    If you have a Thompson Encore, you can buy a .308 or .300B fast twist barrel from MGM barrels.

Have fun
    RFA

Last edited:

Tony2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Magnolia
    RFA I like the idea of the sps in 308 with the1:10 twist. What bullet weight? S.C Thanks for the video I saw one you sent out about night hunting hogs. Not real familiar with night vision equipment. It seems you would need multiple units a hand held or head worn and either a laser type green light mounted on your rifle or some type of light gathering scope

Top Bottom