APOD Firearms

Best aftermarket synthetic buttstock for Mossy 590?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • O.S.O.K. 1961

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2018
    SATX Northwest Quadrant
    I've got a Mossberg 590 "tactical" version 20" barrel though and I really like it... except for one thing - the buttstock is just a bit too long for me - I'm 5'9", so average and most of the time, everything fits me like a glove but not this.

So, what aftermarket stock? I prefer "traditional" configuration but I'll look at anything. I do see that there are several options - Magpul being one of them - a little funky but if it works well...

Or how hard is it to shorten the stock synthetic buttstock? Can you shave an inch off by cutting or does that preclude re-installing the pad?
    Hurley's Gold

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Look for a Mossberg youth stock on ebay. They come up as take-offs sometimes.

You can cut down the stock stock OK, but cutting down the recoil pad is another matter as it (mine at least) has a steel insert.

I don't see a synthetic right now, but there is this would set...

Last edited:

O.S.O.K. 1961

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2018
    SATX Northwest Quadrant
    Youth set? I would think that would be too short. I just need a standard length stock - I really don't know why they put a stock with a LOP that's proper for somebody 6' tall when the average height these days is well, like me. And then if you factor in wearing armor or a tac vest... I don't get it.

Thanks for the replies! I will check out that Knoxx - and yes, I've been looking at the Magpul but they just look a little weird to my eye.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Youth is 13" LOP. I'm 5'11" and I like a 13" LOP.

Edit: I just measured the LOP on my Maverick 88 Youth 20ga and it is 12". I still like it...

Last edited:

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Magpul.

Seriously its the best. Easily adjustable LOP and comb height, good recoil pad, comfortable grip angle while still allowing proper reach of the controls. Lots of sling mounting points too

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I went with an AR adjustable type stock.

Cutting down a polymer stock never worked for me. The stock wouldn’t fit the recoil pad properly. A wood stock is better for this.
    The youth lengths didn’t fit me right either.
    I even tried one of the super short Hogue tactical stocks and it was too short. These are made for folks wearing body armor.

O.S.O.K. 1961

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2018
    SATX Northwest Quadrant
    Hmmm yeah 13" is too short - I don't know what it is but I really gotta have that length right to make it work. Again, I don't understand why the longer stocks are ... stock. I've seen this same complaint many times. You'd think Mossberg would get this right.

Thanks to all for the feedback. I guess I'll go with the Magpul.

Top Bottom