• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rjrules1909

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 26, 2021
    Austin
    we use exclusively google docs, google sheets for home and even in office. you can download files in various formats in case you want to send anything. its free to use too and they adding lot of features

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns International

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    we use exclusively google docs, google sheets for home and even in office. you can download files in various formats in case you want to send anything. its free to use too and they adding lot of features

Nothing with Google is truly free when YOU are the product... and yes, the company I work for has me use the Google platform a LOT, to my chagrin.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Nothing with Google is truly free when YOU are the product... and yes, the company I work for has me use the Google platform a LOT, to my chagrin.
    I hear your pain. My company switched to Google mail for our mail and it does NOT integrate well with Outlook. You have to use their "G-Suite Sync" that, to say it sucks, puts a bad connotation on things that only suck, like Democrats and tornados.
    Google Meets is such a CPU hog when using it for video conferencing that we have multiple people with fairly new laptops that aren't able to use it since it's maxing out the CPU.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area

In case you aren't aware, Google wants to be a part of EVERYTHING you do...

rjrules1909

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 26, 2021
    Austin
    In case you aren't aware, Google wants to be a part of EVERYTHING you do...

yup. i am aware of it but every eletronic device we have has tracking now. phones, watches, music systems with alexa or hey google, insurance apps. cars with touchscreen etc, arko or ring or other camera systems we use, internet service providers. there is no way we can avoid that tracking unless we stop using everything which is kinda impossible.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    What bothers me also is the black box in cars. The maker can track location, speed, time, and other data that can be used against you. How long will it be before this info is sent to insurance companies and used to increase your rate?

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    What bothers me also is the black box in cars. The maker can track location, speed, time, and other data that can be used against you. How long will it be before this info is sent to insurance companies and used to increase your rate?
    The last few years I was employed, my employer used a device to track our vehicle use.
    They told us it was for insurance purposes however the birddogging sobs quickly used as a way to track our every move. Although most of us had no traffic violations from law enforcement, we were followed for the entire day by bored managers, in the name of safety.

rjrules1909

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 26, 2021
    Austin

insurance companies already started something like this. if you call insurance company they will say have special program like driveeasy program. you insurance rate will be low when you download that app and let it allow tracking.
    i have geico and their app is driveeasy program

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    USAA offers a discount for allowing their black box to monitor your driving. The savings isn't worth having a babysitter device transmit how and where I drive. It may see an abrupt maneuver but doesn't provide the explanation requiring that action.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    So the Event Data Recorder (EDR, aka Black Box) is built into every new automobile. Its built into the vehicle, taps into the CANBUS and ECU, and records a ton of vehicle data before and after a crash.

Seatbelt on?
    Were you pressing a pedal?
    Vehicle speed?
    RPM?
    Wheelspeed data?
    Steering wheel angle?
    Pretty much every vehicle parameter is recorded.

It’s totally separate from the dealio that insurance companies use, which basically plugs into the OBDII port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    I don't think it will be long before car companies sell that info along with location to the insurance companies. That way they will know where and when you speed. They just need to marry it up between the black box and the nav system.

rjrules1909

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 26, 2021
    Austin
    So the Event Data Recorder (EDR, aka Black Box) is built into every new automobile. Its built into the vehicle, taps into the CANBUS and ECU, and records a ton of vehicle data before and after a crash.

Seatbelt on?
    Vehicle speed?
    RPM?
    Wheelspeed data?
    Steering wheel angle?

It’s totally separate from the dealio that insurance companies use, which basically plugs into the OBDII port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

yeah i heard about it too but my cars are old so i am safe for now from those. not sure how long tho

rjrules1909

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 26, 2021
    Austin
    I don't think it will be long before car companies sell that info along with location to the insurance companies. That way they will know where and when you speed. They just need to marry it up between the black box and the nav system.

they will. they have financial benefits to do that and corporate only cares about stock value and profits. privacy doesnt mean shit to them

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I remember when the EasyTag system came into being. It was sold as being solely as a convenient way to pay for using a toll road. We were repeatedly assured the information would be kept confidential.

It was less than six months later that I first read of an attorney using a court order during a divorce to get EasyTag data proving patterns of movement consistent with an alleged affair.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring

Seatbelt on?
    Vehicle speed?
    RPM?
    Wheelspeed data?
    Steering wheel angle?

What bugs me about that is standard operating procedure (at least for Harris County Constables, as of the last time I was in a wreck) was to never access that data unless there had been death or serious injury during an accident.

I was (barely) involved in a 3-vehicle tie up on Beltway 8 at the toll plaza just west of I-45 on the north side of Houston. Since my car could still drive, the first Constable on the scene ordered me to proceed to the next exit, turn left, turn into the gas station parking lot, and wait. It took a couple of hours but the other wrecked cars were towed to the same spot. All the other people had left the scene in ambulances.

The Constable finally arrived and asked me what happened. I told him. He looked me dead in the eye and said "That story bears absolutely no resemblance to anything I heard from the other drivers and passengers. Here's a pen and paper. Go write down your statement and I'll make it a part of the accident report." It took forever but he left as soon as I gave him a written report.

Months later, both insurance companies of the other drivers deposed me because both parties were in disagreement over just about everything.

I told both sides the exact same thing. "Look at the Event Data Recorder <although I'm sure I called it something else>. I'll bet you dinner at Ruth's Chris that it will clearly show that the silver car had been exceeding 100 mph within 10 seconds prior to the crash. Also, I heard the silver car's engine rev to full acceleration just before the crash, so the EDC will also show the throttle position 1/10 of a second prior to impact as wide open. Besides, just looking at where the red car was hit, left or right rear corner, will tell you which side is lying. In my opinion, the silver car was completely at fault."

After the depositions were over, both sides opened up and told me the exact same things.
    • The EDC is never consulted except in the case of a death.
    • The on-scene Constable did not record which side of the red car was hit. Both guys agreed with me that if they had that information, the whole process would have been concluded weeks or months prior but since both cars had been junked and were no longer available, there was no way to go back and look. Nobody took any pictures at the scene.
    • The accident report had zero mention of my name and my written report was missing. They found me via my license plate number which was recorded in a single sentence saying a third vehicle was basically uninvolved but had minor damage.
    What good is an EDC if LEOs don't use it after most accidents?

PS - I hope SOPs for accident investigations have changed in the years since the incident described.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    What good is an EDC if LEOs don't use it after most accidents?

PS - I hope SOPs for accident investigations have changed in the years since the incident described.

Usually you need a grand jury subpoena or a warrant to pull data from the recorder. Like you said those were only for fatality crashes or cases were felony charges would be filed.

Pulling the data requires training and the software/cables and knowing how to interpret what the data is telling you. None of that will likely happen with a normal major/minor crash.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Since MS office is a subscription service now, what is the best free alternative for windows.

I’m not comfortable just downloading free software off the internet to see what works vs what will kill my computer.

It’s like $100 a year, less if you buy the renewal on eBay, and you can share it with half a dozen people. Cheaper than buying the latest version outright every few years.

Top Bottom