• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2008
    Whitesboro, TX
    Today I'm picking up my new Colt Defender. Although I shot a Defender several years ago, this is my first .45 to actually own. I've narrowed my ammo choice down to Federals LE Tactical. It's offered in 185 gr and 230 gr. Has anyone used bullets lighter than the standard 230 gr (not necessarily this brand)? I know each handgun is different; I was just wondering if anyone had any trouble shooting light bullets from a short-barreled .45. Thanks!

I guess I should add that I am leaning towards the 185 gr because I've read that it expands better in short-barreled guns. I've included the link from a very good article on personal defense ammo.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm
    Venture Surplus ad

ambidextrous1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My Defender functions with 230, 200 and 185 grain bullets. but something about the timing of the Defender makes it feel very smooth when firing the 185 grain ammo.

Ask a friend to load mags with 230 and 185 grain ammunition (only one weight in a magazine) and hand them to you (or load them into the pistol) randomly; see if you can notice the difference.

I use the Taurus solid copper ammunition (TCB45ACP) for carry.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Get different brands and shoot them.This will be the way to check which ammo works best with your gun.Please post a pic when you get the defender.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    It is a general practice with a new 1911 to run about 500 rounds of 230gr FMJ through it before trying other ammo. This helps to break the gun in and as a test for reliability. After that try several of the defense loads until you find one you like.

Not all guns like all ammo.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2008
    Whitesboro, TX
    Get different brands and shoot them.This will be the way to check which ammo works best with your gun.Please post a pic when you get the defender.

Okay, I'm ready to rock and roll! Wait, I got no boolitz!

1911.gif

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Nice Defender! Always loved those guns. You might also consider the Corbon Pow'RBall. In 45acp they are a 165gr, which should work well at more reliable expansion with the short barrel. Also, they have basically a perfect round nose profile so they shouldn't have any feeding issues. God sometimes I feel like such a salesman for Corbon. I just like their stuff so much. ;)

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Might want to stick with a standard pressure load. The more spring you have in that stubby 1911 the greater chance that it'll short stroke on standard stuff.

Elcolorado

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    Leadville, CO
    I just got my Springfield GI.45 Micro a couple of months ago. Still trying to decide on which ammo to use with mine also. So far it has eaten everything I've put though it but did have some problems for the first 300 rounds. So far with all the different ammo I've put through it (including 185, 200 and 230), it seems to like the Remington Golden Sabers in 230 over the Federal Hydrashoks in 185 or 230. But there are still a few types I want to try out in it. I haven't used Hornady XTP, Speer Gold Dot or the MagTech yet. Have heard good things about them for the 3" guns and need to try them out also. I have been told by many people that the little 3" can be very fickle on ammo, but so far haven't had too many problems with any. In speaking to Springfield on a difference issue, I brought up using +p ammo in the Micro and was told very energetically not to use it in the short barreled guns. It all had to do with cycle rate and was told that it puts a huge strain on the double spring set up that the Micro has, but not sure what the Defender has. BTW, great looking Defender!

Vellcrow

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    I just got my Springfield GI.45 Micro a couple of months ago. Still trying to decide on which ammo to use with mine also. So far it has eaten everything I've put though it but did have some problems for the first 300 rounds. So far with all the different ammo I've put through it (including 185, 200 and 230), it seems to like the Remington Golden Sabers in 230 over the Federal Hydrashoks in 185 or 230. But there are still a few types I want to try out in it. I haven't used Hornady XTP, Speer Gold Dot or the MagTech yet. Have heard good things about them for the 3" guns and need to try them out also. I have been told by many people that the little 3" can be very fickle on ammo, but so far haven't had too many problems with any. In speaking to Springfield on a difference issue, I brought up using +p ammo in the Micro and was told very energetically not to use it in the short barreled guns. It all had to do with cycle rate and was told that it puts a huge strain on the double spring set up that the Micro has, but not sure what the Defender has. BTW, great looking Defender!

Generally, commercial +P ammo wil not put any excessive strain on a modern handgun when used for function testing and defensive purposes. Shooting +P all the time at the range might accelerate the wear on a gun, but nobody expects +P ammo to be shot all the time, that is what your standard plinking ammo is for.

If you are totally against using +P ammo in your Micro, then at least get a lighter bullet like the 185gr. The 230gr defensive loads were never really meant to be fired out of the short barrels.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2008
    Whitesboro, TX
    I ended up selecting Federal Law Enforcement Hydra-Shok 185 GR +P for my Defender. I took it up to the Red River for a little shooting and am completely satisfied. Here are a few pics of 2 bullets that I picked up off the ground. The target was set up in front of a dirt bank. Talk about consistent!! Sorry about the poor focus. My macro doesn't work too well.

45acp001.gif

45acp002.gif

45acp003.gif

Top Bottom