• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Peter M. Eick

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Houston
    In the non-custom actions, meaning the Stolle's etc. I think the Remington is probably the best. If I were to buy another rifle in a bolt today I would buy a 700 or a 40x in 222.

All of my other 700's have been very accurate and reliable.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Mausers are my fav right now. I have an old custom bench gun based off a mauser 98 action chambered in .22-250 can cover 3 round groups at 100 yds with a dime. The other is a Belgium FN in .30-06 that has taken many deer and pigs but kicks like a mule.

kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    I'd have to vote Mauser as well, and since I'm partial to czech weapons my fav mauser is the VZ.24... but that's a completely biased opinion. I know alot of people who love the Swedish 6.5x55 Mausers.

Redhat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    CZ 550 in .270. Mauser action and holds tight groups with several types of ammo...also the price was right. I don't use the set trigger much as I find it too light!

I used to have a Rem VLS in .308, also a great shooter. Only work was having the trigger adjusted.

mcss383

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    Highlands, TX
    Due to time frame alone I would say the Mauser or 1903(A3). They have both been around for a very long time and have always operated and shot very well when maintained.

I really like the 03A3 I use for hunting (sporterized a loong time ago). If I do my part, Win Ballistic Silvertips will hit groups at or under 1". Butter smooth action and it has never failed me. The only mod to the gun, besides bent bolt and fiberglass stock, is the Huber trigger I added. A great addition btw.

Caliber: 30-06. Again, a time proven design that does what you need it to in most situations you come across, hunting or competition.

yam13f

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    nacogdoches, tx
    i've owned alot of rifles, but my favorite has to be my remmy 700 5r. it shoots so good, i bought another one, lol. the first one now has a jewel trigger, and is a sweet shooter with the 175 gr sierras.

Nodena Ranger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Downtown Nodena-NE Texas
    I too have a sporterized 03A3 (1967) that I absolutly love. I've also been a big fan of Remmington 700's forever, however I've been shooting a Tikka T3 in a .338 Federal with a Zeiss 3X9 for a couple of years and is a very nice set up. It doesn't have a miss in it....... yet. When you go to the gun room to get a rifle... you can close your eyes and pick one because they all shoot flat, long and hard. They're all good rifles.

RamseyRed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Bolt Gun

I have a custom SAKO action, Douglas barrel 308. Consistently shoots under ¾” at 100 yds and about 1¼“ at 200 yds with Sierra 168 gr bullets over 44 grs of H4895. Medium heavy barrel.

C-Z Sniper Rifle (Yes, that's what C-Z calls it) in 308. Loading to fit the magazines this rifle is constant at ⅔ to ¾ MOA at either 100 or 200 yds with the 155 gr. Sierra Palma bullet over 44.3 gr H4895.

I have had 308 Remington 700's that were adequate but for some reason I have not kept any as 308. I usually have them re-barreled and re-chambered. One was with a Hart barrel that was a riflesmith's nightmare the way it was butchered, but the rifle shot well.

Were I to buy a new 308 rifle I would give serious consideration to a C-Z.

Top Bottom