• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Watchdog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio
    I miss some of my favorite places in NOLA. I have not had a reason for work to send me there in sometime, so I am in withdrawal. Anyone know a good authentic place to get cajun creole food? Doesn't have to be pretty, or fancy just good and authentic.

If your first suggestion is Pappadeux's kitchen save it- I view that like recommending the Olive Garden to someone who wants real authentic Italian. hahaha
    Guns International

NavyVet1959

Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2014
    Texas, ya'll
    Even though I'm from Louisiana, the only "Cajun" food that I eat is boiled crawfish, boiled shrimp, filé gumbo, Étouffée, and crawfish/shrimp bisque.

For the most part though, I prefer the ones that I cook myself over what I can get at a restaurant. Now, there used to be a restaurant in Houston near the NW corner of I-610 (near US-290) called Atchafalaya River Cafe that I would often frequent just for their crawfish bisque. It was better than mine and I wish I had their recipe.

Watchdog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio
    Thanks for the recommendations so far, my favorite place in NOLA is a dark, dirty hole in the wall with some of the best Jambalaya I have ever had in my entire life. Told the wife and my boss that if I weren't married and a father I would have totally been one of those people that went to NOLA for work and never left. At some point in my life (even if for a short while 6 months or so) I will live there.

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    I tell ya what, Bernards is the real deal. He came here after Katrina, he missed the food, so he opened the restaurant. He started out in a super small place like 8 or 9 tables. He got so popular that he moved. The first time I went there I had placed my order, and while I was waiting he brought me a big bowl of Red beans and rice. He said they were made by mistake and offered them to me, I thought that was really cool. I have to figure out where he is now, I just know it is one of the colleges.

"Character is doing the right thing even when no one is watching"

GrandpaOf18

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Elmendorf TX
    Thanks for the recommendations so far, my favorite place in NOLA is a dark, dirty hole in the wall with some of the best Jambalaya I have ever had in my entire life. Told the wife and my boss that if I weren't married and a father I would have totally been one of those people that went to NOLA for work and never left. At some point in my life (even if for a short while 6 months or so) I will live there.

Pappy G's on Pat Booker Rd. is not a 'cajun' place, but Pappy G makes a mean Gumbo, and when he has Jambalaya, it's almost as good as my Wife's.

NavyVet1959

Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2014
    Texas, ya'll
    Good thread. Tough to get good Cajun food in Austin, as well.

I suspect that it is easier to get good Cajun food in Austin than it is to get good Mexican food in New Orleans. Well, at least it was back before Katrina. These days, with all the Hispanics that came to NOLA to help rebuild, there's probably a few good Mexican restaurants (or at least some good roach coaches).

When I was in NOLA back before Katrina, there also wasn't any Texas-quality BBQ places either. Then again, it's virtually impossible to get *real* BBQ outside of Texas.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

I was stationed in NOLA for several years & I've found NO good Cajun/Creole food in SA. Period. End of story.

yours, satx

Top Bottom