• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Iron-E

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2017
    Canada
    So I am a big time collector when it comes to guns and gear. And it's even better when I get to use it. I go on a lot of hikes, camping and hunting trips and enjoy "immersing" myself in the environment by strapping on some good ol camo. But I live in Canada and will be moving to Texas soon. So you can see the natural environments are different. So in Central/Eastern Texas what camo do you guys use/recommend? Multicam and Krytpek seems to be popular, I'm a fan of A-TACS, let me know what you guys think. Big Thanks from up North!
    DK Firearms

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    So I am a big time collector when it comes to guns and gear. And it's even better when I get to use it. I go on a lot of hikes, camping and hunting trips and enjoy "immersing" myself in the environment by strapping on some good ol camo. But I live in Canada and will be moving to Texas soon. So you can see the natural environments are different. So in Central/Eastern Texas what camo do you guys use/recommend? Multicam and Krytpek seems to be popular, I'm a fan of A-TACS, let me know what you guys think. Big Thanks from up North!
    Best camo in texas? A really large pickup truck. You'll never be picked out...:)
    Central Texas I prefer cargo shorts and a nice Hawaiian shirt.
    Dude you know Canadians spontaneously burst into flames here right?

Central Texas-dry. Think African Savannah but with scorpions and hipsters.
    East Texas-VERY different. That Gulf coast tree country. Typically very green and as noted, very humid. People are armed here to avoid being carried off by mosquitoes.

Also remember, in Central Texas watch out for the chupacabras at night. In East Texas the jackalopes are about. Just don't challenge them and you will be ok.

Iron-E

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2017
    Canada
    Best camo in texas? A really large pickup truck. You'll never be picked out...:)
    Central Texas I prefer cargo shorts and a nice Hawaiian shirt.
    Dude you know Canadians spontaneously burst into flames here right?

Central Texas-dry. Think African Savannah but with scorpions and hipsters.
    East Texas-VERY different. That Gulf coast tree country. Typically very green and as noted, very humid. People are armed here to avoid being carried off by mosquitoes.

Also remember, in Central Texas watch out for the chupacabras at night. In East Texas the jackalopes are about. Just don't challenge them and you will be ok.
    Hahaha! It sounds delightful! I was thinking around central Texas, a bit North West of Austin.

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Might I suggest doing a Google image search for "central Texas natural terrain" or something like that. You'll see lot of greens from cedar trees/grass and tans/grays from the limestone. No idea what that equates to in camo styles but it could be a place to start.

jeepinbanditrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Dallas
    Multicam works really well in most parts of the state. Espeically North Central Texas. Old school M81 Woodland camo works pretty good as well. ATACS-FG. These are camo options I've tried here personally and have experience with and they works quite well.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Bushlan if you think you need cammo.
    https://bushlan.com

Your in for a bit of culture shock when it comes to hunting in TEXAS! Most land is privately owned so your going to have to buy land or get a hunting lease. Either way not a cheap thing. There is some public lands to hunt, but every cheap idiot in TEXAs is hunting that. I tried 30 years ago & it was a pretty scary thing. Imagine a drunk who just bought his license, rifle & scope @ Walmart in the field. Also imagine they are not aware that they need to zero their scope.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Just west of Austin? Interesting... you've picked kind of a transitional area concerning both geology and flora. I always thought in the hundred miles or so, going from the east of Austin to the west of Austin, you get to see what the changing topography and climate (good ole Mother Nature) role really can do to a relatively localized region. From the dark, rich greens and browns in the east to the much lighter browns and greys of the west. From forested, tall trees in the eastern region to the almost high plains kind of sage brush looking areas in the west (the famous Texas Hill country).
    --
    What we need is more unemployed politicians.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    You can get any type of weather you want in Texas, depending on what you want. And a lot of it can be brutal. I live in the Hill Country in Kerr County and it's not too bad most of the time, but it's still Texas. :green:

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Common denominator.
    Limestone background. Oak tree foreground.
    Based on the spreadsheet house noted.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Best camo for hunting.
    Blue jeans or cargo shorts and a t-shirt. Carhart jackets work well. Deer down here are use to ranchers working stock. When they see some dude creeping about in camo they run like hell.

99% of the time you will be in a box stand anyway so no need for camo there. Save your money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Best camo for hunting.
    Blue jeans or cargo shorts and a t-shirt. Carhart jackets work well. Deer down here are use to ranchers working stock. When they see some dude creeping about in camo they run like hell.

99% of the time you will be in a box stand anyway so no need for camo there. Save your money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    This is true.

I do wear some level of camo for dove hunting because they can see you and turn sometimes. But it is whatever camo I have handy, or at the minimum just avoid bright colors.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I think some muted or vegetable colors with a feral hog mask would work.

YMMV considering the population and infestation of feral hogs being way beyond pandemic and lots of people shoot hogs on site.

Top Bottom