• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    My chainsaw doesn’t cut for sh!it anymore.

Is there a best sharpener out there?
    Or are they all the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    ARJ Defense ad

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I always used a rat tail file. A few bucks.

A dremel if your throwing burnt sawdust instead of small grains of sawdust but the second you're not throwing big chips you should draw a file across the teeth a couple times.

You can ruin the teeth if you let it get that bad.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Electric sharpeners mostly wear down the chain faster. I watched a real lumberjack cutting trees. Every so often, he'd sit down on a stump and use a hand file to re-sharpen the teeth. We talked a bit and he said the main thing was to not wait too long to re-sharpen. I keep a round file and a flat file in the case with the chainsaw. The Stihl tool cited in an earlier post looks pretty cool.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    We have been using this one from Harbor Freight for about seven or eight years. Does a pretty good job getting them sharp. Once you get use to it, you can sharpen a bunch of chains in no time.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Electric sharpeners mostly wear down the chain faster. I watched a real lumberjack cutting trees. Every so often, he'd sit down on a stump and use a hand file to re-sharpen the teeth. We talked a bit and he said the main thing was to not wait too long to re-sharpen. I keep a round file and a flat file in the case with the chainsaw. The Stihl tool cited in an earlier post looks pretty cool.

I definitely waited too long...the chain starts little friction smoke fires on the tree but doesn’t cut anything LOL

I like the idea of having an extra, sharpened chain ready to go

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I have been using a Timberline for a few years.
    Love it... also bought the Stihl 2 in 1 easy file for all of my 4 saws and like it very well also because it takes the rakers down on the same stroke as the chain. Pretty nice set up

I keep my chains sharp and also I flip my bar upside down every few tanks of fuel because they will wear on one side of the chain in groove and cause your saw to not want to make straight cut.

A chain can be filed to almost nothing is left and still cut great.. lots of people discard chains that can have lots of life left in them.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I have been using a Timberline for a few years.
    Love it... also bought the Stihl 2 in 1 easy file for all of my 4 saws and like it very well also because it takes the rakers down on the same stroke as the chain. Pretty nice set up

I keep my chains sharp and also I flip my bar upside down every few tanks of fuel because they will wear on one side of the chain in groove and cause your saw to not want to make straight cut.

A chain can be filed to almost nothing is left and still cut great.. lots of people discard chains that can have lots of life left in them.

Thanks for the info. Never thought about flipping the bar upside down

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    I sharpen mine by hand. I’ve tried a dremel in the past and I didn’t like it. A little time with the right file and angle you’ll have chips instead of dust real soon. Don’t forget the depth limiters if you’ve already sharpened it a few times.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I seen an old sharpening fixture in a shop in an old barn that I would love to have rescued. The chain is placed in it & advanced to a small grinder. I had several different grit stones.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    When I had a chainsaw, I'd take my chains to Ace hardware. If I remember correctly, it was about $8. Of course, I didn't use the chainsaw more than 4-5 times a year.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    I used to have my chains resharpened, but they didn't stay sharp as long as a new chain does and at $9/10 to sharpen a chain, it was more economical to just buy a new one.

Also, being lazy in this particular instance, I don't care to do the sharpening tedium.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom