• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cajuntec

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    San Antonio TX
    I've used Blueing, and I've messed around with Duracoat and KG Gun Kote... but never on anything with intricate engravings.

I'm about to pick up a shotgun that I've wanted for a while. The bluing is done - it's almost silver on the sides. But the entire receiver is engraved with some very nice engravings.

I'd like to recoat the firearm myself, but not affect the engravings if I can help it.

What would you recommend I use? What is the best method for preparing such a receiver for re-coating?

Lastly (and least important) - how, if it can even be done, can I highlight the engravings? I've seen gold inlay and silver inlay, but I'd like to see if I can do something like that myself. I'd rather not use the Brownells color crayons to do this - I'm looking for something permanant.

Thank in advance. This is not the firearm I really want to "test" stuff on. I might find another cheaper firearm with engravings to practice on. I've coated items with writing, and those turned out fine - but sometimes some of the letters aren't as sharp as before due to the coating. I don't want to risk that with the engravings on this one.

All the best,
    Glenn
    ARJ Defense ad

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Honestly, I'd seek a professional.

I suppose it doesn't matter for the value of the firearm since reconditioning is almost always a bad idea in that regard, but they will have more experience with this sort of thing.

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    I have done cold blue as well as Dura Coat on a number of guns. Have also used the Gold kit to bring out the engravings/serial numbers on a few guns. I find that you get a better finish over all with the blue as it does not build up in the stamping like Dura Coat does. However, having said that if the engravings are good and deep either way would work. I used Dura Coat on a couple of CZ 82 pistols that have the pin type import stampings and they turned out nice even though the stamping is not all that deep ( I believe the small diameter of the pin holes captured the gold better than a larger stamped number/letter would have). I have some pictures on my home page.

Top Bottom