Best cost effective 22LR for Range Training?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Speaking only and specifically to ammo used, there is a significant difference between SV and HV ammo performance. The only HV ammo I have used lately with impressive results is federal auto match. Bought a bunch at Walmart for 21.16/325 + tax. It's rated at 1200 fps. SV ammo is far and away more accurate but will drop big time beyond 100 yards.

I'm shooting 10/22s with 18 or 20" barrels. I typically stay within 50 yards knowing the round just has it's limitations. Dialed in a 50 yards I get 8" more drop at 100 with SV ammo. So if you really want to shoot that far just take in mind aside from every other factor, that cartridge was never intended for long range shooting. I can shoot 5 shot 1" groups @100 with SV ammo but I doubt you could do it with any kind of wind beyond 100 yards.

The best SV ammo pound for pound was wolf ME and MT when they were produced by SK in Germany now it's mostly overpriced garbage except for Lapua midas or RWS R100.

RankAmateur

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2022
    New Braunfels
    The best SV ammo pound for pound was wolf ME and MT when they were produced by SK in Germany now it's mostly overpriced garbage except for Lapua midas or RWS R100.
    Interestingly, I believe the Wolf Match Target and Match Extra are now being produced under contract by Eley (even has the E stamped on the cartridge). SHOULD indicate that it's good, but... Federal Champion 40 gr was more consistent out of my CZ457 than either of the new Wolf cartridges. True Eley Match or Tenex, etc. is far better.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I've read a bunch about how the eley produced wolf mt and me aren't what they used to be. Tenex has always been reliable too. Naturally every rifles is a bit different but everything I owned has shot the SK branded ammo well.

Top Bottom