• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kilgore_nobiz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    San Antonio
    Have been in San Antonio less than a year and would like to purchase a handgun for home defense and to teach the wife and kids how to shoot. Looking for recommendations on who is a good, fair dealer in town.

djren12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2011
    Universal City
    Sparks Firearms in Universal city has had my bussines for the last 2 handguns I ave bought. Great guys good customer service and of course best prices on great guns. Got my H&K P30 from them at the Premier gunshow 3 weeks ago and this past weekend I bought my CHL gun an XDS from them. I did shop around the show and they had the best price, but the guys are cool as hell and will answer any questions you may have. I went yesterday for the first time to their shop to pick up an extended mag for my XDS and they were cool enought to hold the last one for me and it was at the same price I could have bought it from online. Their prices on ammo are right on par, they will not gouge their customers and the store was very clean and organized. I will be shopping there again soon, looking for a nice lil 22 for the wife to shoot at the range and am sure I will end up buying from them.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    In my opinion you are better off going to one of the local gun shows (SAXET or Premier, not those nasty TGS ones like up in Live Oak!).

You'll find better deals and there's more of a selection. San Antonio has a decent number of gun shops but none of them can really compete with the deals you'll find at the shows. The folks at the Powderhorn are nice but their selection is slim these days and their prices OK at best. Nagel's is way expensive as is Texas Guns and Drury's. The Gun Shack in Helotes is a bit better on price but they don't have as many guns to offer as compared to the bigger shops. Academy has decent prices and usually some selection, as well as numerous locations to choose from.

I'd recommend coming out to the next SAXET show (4-5 May), we meet for breakfast at the IHOP on Saturday before the show and you can meet some of the characters from this forum. If you are not sure what you are looking for, we can give you some ideas. Plus, we know who are the better dealers at the show.

Cheers! M2

GrandpaOf18

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Elmendorf TX
    I like A Place To Shoot. Not bad selection (for the times we live in), and prices are not bad. Last 3 I purchased there, and even though it is a bit more than academy (less than 10%), I like to support the LGS where I can, and they are fair, plus you can shoot it then and there, since they have a Range.

3AXBAT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Shopping at a gun show can be a tricky thing, particularly for a newbie. If you are shopping for a brand-new gun and know precisely what you want, say a 4th generation 9mm Glock 19, and know what they go for at the brick-and-mortar stores, then it's a great place to comparison shop. You can handle a bunch of different models, which is always a good thing. If you haven't narrowed down what you want any closer than "a gun for home defense", then the gun show can be an overwhelming place to shop. You can find good and bad deals there, but without prior research, you won't know the difference.

I have the most confidence in The Powderhorn. I have never heard anything inaccurate there, or seen anything unrealistically priced, bar some re-blued 1st issue Colt Woodsmen.

If you are shopping in the used market, that's a whole different thing. Research and experience are even more important.

And remember, the seller doesn't especially want to sell you the best gun for your purpose, he wants to sell you the gun he has for sale. Also, the sticker price is not necessarily the bottom price. Always ask "What's your bottom price?"

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Do you have any idea of what you're looking for? How much experience do you have? What's your price range? Any preferences in caliber? Size? Capacity?

I ask because if you haven't shot a lot of pistols than maybe we out to get ya out to the range and let you try a couple of our pistols. A couple of rounds should give you an idea of whether you like a particular handgun or not.

You also want to see what it feels like to conceal carry if you're wanting to do so.

If this is your first handgun purchase, and are not overly familiar with firearms, I'd recommend the following book...

First Handgun Boot Camp - Choosing your First Handgun, Handling it Safely, and How to NOT Look Stupid at the Range

I picked it up when it was being offered for free on the Kindle a few months ago, it is really a great primer for someone who is new to the sport of shooting and looking for their first handgun.

Cheers! M2

Termitehunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    San Antonio
    I like The Gun Shack in Helotes. Always treated me well. Great service and fair pricing all around. If they don't have it, they will order it.

Alamo Tactical is a good one too.

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    Dury's is the best dealer in town.
    I also like Don's and Powderhorn, but you won't get
    a better guarantee than Dury's,

Yes, you can get a better price at a gun show or Academy.

P.S if you are buying very low end guns don't bother going to Dury's.
    They might not have them.

Last edited:

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I've done business w/Nagel's many times over the years. He often has some of the best prices around on Glocks an' Sigs. He'll also have a good selection of some of the upper-shelf .45's like Wilson, etc. Walking into his back room is a treat in and of itself - you'll see guns there that you'll see nowhere else in San Antonio.
    Bob isn't there to be the cheapest shop - he's there to STAY in business. He will work with someone to the best of his ability ("Can you work on that price any?" has often saved me some $$$ there) - but he'll also be able to show you guns that you've only heard about (check out some of his collector-grade SA's some time).
    Drury's - yep, their guarantee is IMPOSSIBLE to beat IMO - it's just that I don't often find much in there to make it worth the drive - but I WILL go in if I'm in the area.
    The Powderhorn - I've dealt with David - and his Dad Bob Day - for over 25 years. When ChunkyMonkey went into the AACOG Police Academy, I went in there looking for a pair of Glock 22's - one for each of us - so Chad could practice with what was then one of the most commonly-issued guns. I wanted one just to be able to try one, and to be able to outshoot his ass without him having any excuses. When I told him why I wanted them, David cut me a deal that was phenomenally beyond fair. I usually buy 1-3 guns there a year, and have for longer than I care to think about. He's a small shop, but always friendly and polite - and as noted, you don't hear a bunch of wanna-be BS from his staff.
    I PREFER to buy from local GUN shops. If I pay a few bucks more, so be it - because without them here, the box stores have NO one to keep them honest, and frankly I hated dealing with 'em because they usually have their counters stacked by idiots who'd die if they had ta walk and chew gum at the same time. They don't UNDERSTAND guns and gun laws - just what someone (who doesn't UNDERSTAND any better) told them what THEY think the laws and guns are.
    Tell me all ya want about the "great deals" - but I prefer to do business with some place run by someone I can look in the eye and say "I want to talk to the OWNER" - and do so.

Top Bottom