• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slurmdrinker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Houston, TX
    For the people on the north side of Houston, which shop/place do you think gives the best prices? I'm buying my first gun and don't know any of the places.

Also, what ranges let you rent guns to try them out?
    Hurley's Gold

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Prices vary a lot from place to place and sometimes for different makes. Some places give a nice discount for cash.

Carter's Country is the largest and has the best selection. I suspect that the number of people who hate to deal with Carters is much larger than the ones who like them. They have a large shooting range, but it's at the bottom of my list of favs.

There aren't too many places that let you rent guns. Pasadena Gun does (I think), but that's far from the north side. Gun Emporium in Conroe is pretty decent for prices, but that may be a bit far north of you.

slurmdrinker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Prices vary a lot from place to place and sometimes for different makes. Some places give a nice discount for cash.

Carter's Country is the largest and has the best selection. I suspect that the number of people who hate to deal with Carters is much larger than the ones who like them. They have a large shooting range, but it's at the bottom of my list of favs.

There aren't too many places that let you rent guns. Pasadena Gun does (I think), but that's far from the north side. Gun Emporium in Conroe is pretty decent for prices, but that may be a bit far north of you.
    Thanks. Right now I'm looking at Sportsman's Outlet & Indoor Center. You ever go there? I was looking at Carter's first, but I've also heard some bad things from there.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Sportman's outlet is a good one. Gary has done an incredible job rebuilding and remodeling the place.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I don't think so. But this isn't the place or time to discuss that.

gary's shop is the best thing going in the Kingwood area. all the more reason to support him.

slurmdrinker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Sportman's outlet is a good one. Gary has done an incredible job rebuilding and remodeling the place.
    Thanks. I just called and they said they don't rent out guns to try. Big con for me. Oh well. Is their selection of firearms huge? Fair? I'm looking to buy either a handgun, Beretta 92FS or Sig P226, or go with the Remington 700 SPS in .308. Maybe even a simple shotgun, Mossberg or Remington, for home defense. What about their range? Is it only for handguns?

Sorry for all the questions. I don't want to bombard Gary(I assume that's the guy I spoke with) with all these questions over the phone. Would rather do it here.

*unrelated*

futurama is cool.
    Haha, you noticed. Big fan. I've watched every episode.

Range would be Shiloh Indoor, Shop would be Spectre Firearms, but I am biased....
    Thanks, I'll check those out.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    If you're looking for home defense, then a shotgun is the right way to go. Specifically a pump shotgun. Every criminal knows what the sound of pumping a shell into the chamber means. The best defensive gun is one you don't have to shoot.

Handguns take serious practice in order to use them correctly and accurately. Shotguns make a very big hole in the general direction they are pointed.

If you want to learn pistol shooting, consider a Ruger Mark III .22 pistol. The ammo is cheap, the pistol is accurate, and the cost is very reasonable.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    uh yes. Not this shit again!

Look. the shotgun is probably the worst home defense weapon out there. racking a shell into the chamber just tells the turds where you are. Most shotguns have no lights,not night sights and are simply not easily set up for home defense. shot over penetrates worse than 5.56mm and you had better understand that you are accountable for each and every round you send down range.

The Pump shotgun requries two hands and arms to operate. Hope you aren't having to carry your wife or kids or god forbid you are wounded in one arm.

Jesus christ, get an AR or a good pistol with the proper lights and night sights.

308nato

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Between Tomball & Waller
    A Winchester 1300 Defender is a good home defense shot gun, have had one for years and
    with practise in different senerios works fine for me left or right handed.

Shiloh rents different pistols to try also.

jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring

Look. the shotgun is probably the worst home defense weapon out there. racking a shell into the chamber just tells the turds where you are. Most shotguns have no lights,not night sights and are simply not easily set up for home defense. shot over penetrates worse than 5.56mm and you had better understand that you are accountable for each and every round you send down range.

The Pump shotgun requries two hands and arms to operate. Hope you aren't having to carry your wife or kids or god forbid you are wounded in one arm.

Jesus christ, get an AR or a good pistol with the proper lights and night sights.

every tool has it capabiliteis: my Mossberg has a tritium bead and streamlight, we have no kids at home, wife has her own guns, see big box of truth on over-penetration, my ARs require two hands as well, plenty of pistols to go around

Jesus loves me, this I know ...

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    SC-Texas: You are behind a closed door and you say, "Go away I have a gun." Doesn't mean s**t.
    But if you rack a shell into a shotgun, the point is made. Chances are then very good that you don't HAVE to fire. Liability and damage avoided; crime disrupted.

And if you do have to fire, missing with a shotgun is not likely.

As for OO buck carrying farther or penetrating more than a 5.56, that's just wrong. Mathematically impossible.

If you can only have one gun (and mind you I don't believe in having only one gun), then it should be a shotgun. You can hunt birds, small game, and deer with it. At short range, nothing is deadlier.

Buckles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Cypress, TX
    Thanks. I just called and they said they don't rent out guns to try. Big con for me. Oh well. Is their selection of firearms huge? Fair? I'm looking to buy either a handgun, Beretta 92FS or Sig P226, or go with the Remington 700 SPS in .308. Maybe even a simple shotgun, Mossberg or Remington, for home defense. What about their range? Is it only for handguns?

Sorry for all the questions. I don't want to bombard Gary(I assume that's the guy I spoke with) with all these questions over the phone. Would rather do it here.

Haha, you noticed. Big fan. I've watched every episode.

Thanks, I'll check those out.

if you are looking for a shotgun. ive got a remington for sale in the classified section. as far as gun shops go, ive also heard good things about Tomball Pawn. They have a pretty nice selection in there.

slurmdrinker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Houston, TX

Wasn't expecting that answer. I always thought shotgun was the BEST home defense gun. Though, I really want to get a pistol. It's much smaller and most of the time, more range accessible. REALLY wanting to get Beretta 92FS.

Best gun shop is tomball pawn they beat out most prices in town
    I'll look it up. I'm mainly looking for the best prices because I don't really get a lot of money. :)

if you are looking for a shotgun. ive got a remington for sale in the classified section. as far as gun shops go, ive also heard good things about Tomball Pawn. They have a pretty nice selection in there.
    I'll check it out and think about it.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    At 7 yds (21') which is probably a decent sized room for most people, you might get a 4" spread with 00 buck......does not exactly make it "impossible" to miss somebody.

....just my .02

EDIT: This is also out of an SD style shotgun with a typical short barrel.

JMATT199

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Magnolia,tx
    Best prices and inventory I have found is Tomball Pawn. Best Range Indoor is Shiloh or in Conroe, Shooters Station is real nice. For a one stop shop for everything is Carter Country. Gun prices a little high, but they have it( I like them best for reloading supplies ).

slurmdrinker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Man, Tomball Pawn is a little far off for me. 30 miles to the northwest. Too bad.

Does anybody know if the Academy in Humble(by Deerbrook Mall)sells guns? I haven't been there in a while. I could make a stop there then go to Sportsman's Outlet and Indoor Center.

Top Bottom