• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I’ve searched high and low and have found some really good burgers but the best is yet to be found. I did visit In- N-Out at Willowood yesterday to satisfy my burger cravings. It did not disappoint for the need.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I will always mourn for Just Burgers, the joint that used to be across the street from Klein High School in northwest Harris County. The place was run by a couple and the guy was a fine chef. They ground their own meat, made their own dressings from scratch, picked out the locally-sourced veggies themselves, etc. The only thing they didn't make in-house were the buns and those were carefully chosen from a local bakery. (I've seen places online where it was said that they baked the buns in-house but I swear I remember the buns being in giant plastic sleeves that would only be used for outside delivery. It doesn't matter; they were great.) Every resource went into producing the best burger they could make. You knew it was every resource because everything else was cheap as hell - bare concrete floor, second-hand furniture and equipment, and even no air conditioning! You even had to go behind the front counter, yourself, to fill your own drinks; that's how poorly laid-out the place was. From a physical facilities viewpoint, it was a truly miserable little hole in the wall.

But those burgers! Heaven on a pretzel bun!

They had a fairly short menu up on the wall. Not as short as Jax but manageable. If you couldn't find a combo you liked, they'd make anything you asked for and they were always made fresh, to order, and not in much of a hurry. And they were a buck or two above market prices.

o.jpeg

But for that extra buck or two, I got the best burgers I've ever eaten. They've been gone for over 5 years now, even though they got good publicity and fans even tried to save the place. The scuttlebutt I heard was that the joint was run on too thin a shoestring budget and didn't survive the divorce of the principles.

The only decent burger near me nowadays is Red Robin and that's such a drop in quality from Just Burgers that...well...it's usually not worth the drive.

I'm reminded of the comedian who used to talk about the fact that he never stayed in expensive hotels, even after he hit it big. He said that once you have the good stuff, you're never satisfied with normal. That was Just Burgers. It was the good stuff and it ruined me for pretty much anything less.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Ball&Chain and I went over to try Killen's Burger's in Pearland.
    Burger was pretty good but not the best I've had.
    There's a multitude of combinations so a guy would have to eat there every day for a month to try them all.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    They closed the Snuffer's in Red Oak because of the China flu restrictions. Good med rare burgers there. They still have one in Dallas I assume.

If you like an old school flat top burger Oma's in Waxahachie is the way to go. You'll feel like you stepped into the 50's when you walk in.

For the fancy burgers I like Rodeo Goat and Hopdoddy. Hopdoddy makes everything in house down to the ketchup.

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    Big Z’s was good.
    My wife would by the portobello on a bun.
    It was acceptable for a veggie sandwich.
    Is Chris Madrid’s still a thing?

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    A great burger? Simple. Great ground meat, that is fresh, not frozen. A great bun. Great vegetables. Cooked on a flat-top grill, or an open flame grill. Cheese is cooked on the patty during the last few bit of cooking so it's melted.

A great burger doesn't, or should need to be complicated to be good.

Dang! I just described the burgers I make at home! :banana:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Also a spot in Boerne on Saturday nights if you like hot rods called Soda Pops. Live music cars and decent burgers. But again when busy plan to wait. Very small place.

Soda Pops closed down months. I heard it was due to a substantial increase in rent. Was just out in Boerne on Friday, the building still sits vacant...

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    Soda Pops closed down months. I heard it was due to a substantial increase in rent. Was just out in Boerne on Friday, the building still sits vacant...

Dam that suck. Guess Maurice decided enough. I thought he owned the building. Wonder how his hot rod shop is doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I think those writers are full of it. I can't speak to the best burger in Texas - I've had a few from a few different places, but probably no where near the best in the state.

I *have* had a bunch of burgers in Washington and Oregon though - I don't think the authors of that had ever eaten at the Ribeye in Chehalis, Washington, nor did they ever eat a Cheezus from a little food cart in down town Portland whose name I cannot remember, but I'll never forget the burger, nor do I think they ever tried the burger at Ace's Tavern in the little town of Gaston.

Too many fru-fru stunt burgers on that list, not enough down to earth burgers.

So far my Texan tastes have only sampled the burgers from Ron's, a couple other diners, and Whataburger + some other fast food joints. I really like the burgers at Ron's, but I can't imagine they're the best in the state, tho they have the 2nd best chili-cheese fries I've ever had anywhere.

Too many places want to gussy-up a cheese burger and forget that the burger is the foundation and needs to be well made from good beef and seasoned properly!

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Off Topic Warning
    I heard it was due to a substantial increase in rent.
    Decades ago my favorite pizza joint closed for that reason. It was very successful, doing far more business than the landlord had anticipated. When it came time for lease renewal, the landlord demanded to audit their books. He was going to bleed them of every dime he could by making their rent a (high) percentage of their gross income. I knew the owners of three of the businesses in that strip center; he made the same demand of every tenant.

It backfired on him. Every business closed their doors when their lease expired. The most successful business of the bunch bought land two blocks away and built their own strip mall. Everyone else was out of business and the property provided him zero income. Eventually he just sold the whole shebang to someone who turned it into a Uhaul storage center.

Top Bottom