• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I think a lot of burger places have jumped on the bandwagon of trying to out top the other places when it comes to a burger.

My thoughts on what makes a great burger. Is simplicity. Great ingredients to start with. Great beef, a great bun and fresh vegetables and a good cheese.

For me, a great burger is like a good steak. A good steak carries the meal on it's own merits. Everything else needs to compliment the steak. A great burger is just the same for me. The meat and bun should be the stars.

If you have to come up with fancy toppings to make a burger, then something is missing.
    Gun Zone Deals

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Disagree. That's like saying a good pizza is only crust, tomato sauce and cheese. Simply not the case.

A great burger is complimented by its additions. A slice of pineapple. A fried egg. Yes, even cheese (although I don't care for it most of the time as it takes away from the burger itself).

The best burgers are built around a solid patty (or two, but three or more is too much) with creative ingredients and a toasted bun.

A plain burger is dull and unimaginative.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Less talking. More hamburger pics! Dammit.
    OIP.jpg

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    A great burger is complimented by its additions. A slice of pineapple. A fried egg. Yes, even cheese (although I don't care for it most of the time as it takes away from the burger itself).
    This is just so wrong on many levels. Cheese takes away from it, but sure, add a pineapple slice. Pineapple on a burger? Abomination, just like on pizza.
    1600787324449.png

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    From the griddle, I prefer my own hamburgers to anyone else's.

Chop onions fine, put some butter on the griddle and then the onions. Leave until very well done (partially blackened).

Hamburger patties next on the griddle. Salt and pepper only.

Put some of the grease cooking off from the hamburgers onto a vacant part of the griddle. Put the hamburger buns down (cut side down) in this area. Leave until brown. Flip onto the other side for a little bit.

Assemble burgers. Put on the onions, pickles, lettuce, tomato. Mustard on the buns. No fried eggs, no avocado, no pineapple. A pure hamburger.

Probably not good for the triclycerides, but incredibly tasty.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Tonight it will be at my house.

1/3 pd burger, seasoned then formed into a patty with a press. Half the meet, press, cheese (Blue tonight.) Real bacon bits pre-cooked, the rest of the meet and press again. Sweet onion slice on top, no lettuce or tomato. Grilled 3min 30sec/side.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Disagree. That's like saying a good pizza is only crust, tomato sauce and cheese. Simply not the case.

The best burgers are built around a solid patty (or two, but three or more is too much) with creative ingredients and a toasted bun.

A plain burger is dull and unimaginative.

You probably never had a really great cheese pizza then? I have! And it was just a crust, sauce and cheese, and it was awesome tasting.

And a very plain, basic burger that starts with the right meat, cooked to perfection on the right bun, and the right cheese, with minimal vegetables is the perfect burger IMO. And I have had some over the years done just that way.

Majority of the time, I do burgers here at home on the grill. Hand formed patties. just salt and pepper, grilled on a wood fire, on a toasted bun, cheese melted on the patty during the last bit of grilling, and it's the makings of the great burger! If I want to take it up a notch, I add some grilled bacon slices to the burger!

Nothing wrong with some additions to a burger, but the foundation for a great burger will always be the meat and the bun first. Without great mean and a great bun to start with, all you end up with is burger with some fancy toppings IMO.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    You probably never had a really great cheese pizza then? I have! And it was just a crust, sauce and cheese, and it was awesome tasting.

And a very plain, basic burger that starts with the right meat, cooked to perfection on the right bun, and the right cheese, with minimal vegetables is the perfect burger IMO. And I have had some over the years done just that way.

Majority of the time, I do burgers here at home on the grill. Hand formed patties. just salt and pepper, grilled on a wood fire, on a toasted bun, cheese melted on the patty during the last bit of grilling, and it's the makings of the great burger! If I want to take it up a notch, I add some grilled bacon slices to the burger!

Nothing wrong with some additions to a burger, but the foundation for a great burger will always be the meat and the bun first. Without great mean and a great bun to start with, all you end up with is burger with some fancy toppings IMO.

I have, but Americans have no idea what a real pizza tastes like. It's like Mexican or German food here, they're nothing like or anywhere close to the originals.

And for all the talking about how great people think their own cooking is, 90% of the time they are simply legends in their own minds. I can't count the number of times I've had people tell me they cook the best burger, steak, etc. in the world only to find it's mediocre at best!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I have, but Americans have no idea what a real pizza tastes like. It's like Mexican or German food here, they're nothing like or anywhere close to the originals.

And for all the talking about how great people think their own cooking is, 90% of the time they are simply legends in their own minds. I can't count the number of times I've had people tell me they cook the best burger, steak, etc. in the world only to find it's mediocre at best!

I do agree with that for the most part. But I have had on many occasions the authentic versions of ethic foods and not the Americanized versions, and yes, there is many times a huge difference between them.

MMM, you really need to come to my house sometime! I have a few things I have worked on for many years to perfect. My brisket, steaks, burgers, chili and a few other things. Some of my methods I use, are more or less just the simple tried and true methods that are simple and work. I found many times, simple is many times the best approach to cooking, and using quality ingredients.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Starting up a new restaurant from the ground, is a risky business decision. Over 70% will fail in the first two years. Even the more successful restaurants operate at very low profit margins, just to stay in business.
    You know the old saying, how to have $10,000 in the restaurant business, invest $100,000. I think that good food alone doesn't work. You have to sell alcohol too.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

Could be. But everyone who has eaten my burgers always wants me to fix them again.

You do have a point, though. I don't know how many restaurants have come highly recommended but were not worth visiting a second time. And some were just bad.

Heck, there are people that think Bill Miller serves bbq and On the Border is TexMex.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    I luckily had a different experience when I moved here from Louisiana. Back then there wasn't good brisket in LA. So I came here ordering pork ribs or pulled pork when I went to bbq joints. One night, at a friend's house for drinks, he asked if I wanted some leftover brisket he had smoked that day. I reluctantly said sure. Holy shit! Brisket can taste like this. Was the thought that went thru my mind. I've been a brisket convert ever since. This was right when Franklin had his bbq truck in Austin. So I've seen the recent bbq evolution in Austin. Brisket is good

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I luckily had a different experience when I moved here from Louisiana. Back then there wasn't good brisket in LA. So I came here ordering pork ribs or pulled pork when I went to bbq joints. One night, at a friend's house for drinks, he asked if I wanted some leftover brisket he had smoked that day. I reluctantly said sure. Holy shit! Brisket can taste like this. Was the thought that went thru my mind. I've been a brisket convert ever since. This was right when Franklin had his bbq truck in Austin. So I've seen the recent bbq evolution in Austin. Brisket is good

You need to try out County Line BBQ on the river. Wife and I and friends of ours, have eaten there several times in the past. Great BBQ. Awesome brisket.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Could be. But everyone who has eaten my burgers always wants me to fix them again.

You do have a point, though. I don't know how many restaurants have come highly recommended but were not worth visiting a second time. And some were just bad.

Heck, there are people that think Bill Miller serves bbq and On the Border is TexMex.

I do like On The Border. Great food, but not what I consider authentic Mexican food. Very casual Mexican food at best.

Same here. Try out something new or different that others highly recommend, and only end up disappointed.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom