Best handgun company?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Vellcrow, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Vellcrow

Vellcrow Active Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    Let's hear your thoughts on the best handgun comapany out there. I don't mean the best handgun, I'm talking about the company itself. What company makes a great product, backs that product (and the customer who purchases it), and will be there through the good times and the bad?

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Active Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Small company - STI. I have known Dave Skinner for a number of years. he is a stand up guy who is dedicated to producing a quality product.

Large Company - S&W. Even though they have gone through several ownership changes and experienced painful transitions, they always stand behind their products. I have sent duty guns in for repair and never had to wait more than 5 days to get them back (and that was when you could ship handguns regular UPS ground).

Many folks got a bad taste in their mouth after their parent company (Tompkins) started negotiating with the Brady Bunch during the Klinton years. That was not a S&W decision, it was a Tompkins decision. Now that they are owned by a US company again (Safe-T-Hammer) that sort of BS is unlikely to happen again.

S&W has made some mistakes. They have made some crap. They always move forward and correct the mistakes. The M&P series is a classic example of their forward thinking. Many officers around here are trading their Glocks for M&P's.

3. dadoo

dadoo New Member

Jan 27, 2009
    good company

The only company I have had to contavt so far is Taurus. My front sight flew off my PT145 and when I called them they sent me a new one immediately. When it happened again a year later, I sent the whole slide to them and they reinstalled a new one. All of this at no charge. Easy folks to work with and a lifetime guarantee to rely on.

4. photofreeman

photofreeman Member

Jan 12, 2009
    I also vote for Smith & Wesson. They are in it for the long run.

DADOO: How long did it take to actually receive your parts from Taurus. I'm waiting for the screws that hold down my sights. I hope they are quick.

5. nobodylies2.45

nobodylies2.45 Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Saginaw
    I ve had no problems with Springfield or Les Baer very helpful and always deliver a quality product.

6. Vellcrow

Vellcrow Active Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    So far:

Smith and Wesson +2
    Springfield +1
    Les Baer +1
    Taurus +1
    STI +1

7. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I would definitely say STI. After hearing Alan's experiences with them, as well as several other people in the past, the customer service is second to none and they really stand behind their product. Truly an excellent group to deal with.

As far as large companies, Sig Sauer. I love them so much I changed my screenname. ;) lol

8. juwaba98

juwaba98 Well-Known

May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX

About time too! Of course when I noticed the change I thought there was another among us and instead realized it was just you. :lolz:

9. Vellcrow

Vellcrow Active Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    Are you basing your decision on the gun or the company? There is a wealth of info that shows SIG is just as bad as HK when it comes to caring about the customer.

Remember, this thread is all about the company and its policies.

10. Brembo

Brembo New Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Charles Daly.

For my preference, I choose SigSauer pistols as tops (and they are a fine company), but no one goes to the lengths CD does to help customers.

Some companies talk a good game, but don't deliver. You name a single company that hosts a forum for its consumers and where the CEO will come and personally offer aid to the consumer who needs help. I've never found any to do that in my 42 years until I found Charles Daly. For a little company, they deliver big on customer service.

There's some people who cry a lot about having to wait for repairs, but this is generally people who are never happy no matter what and will never appreciate anything done for them. After dealing with Remington, Winchester, and S&W for warranty issues before, I can say I will stick with CD for a lot of future purchases.