Best hunting rifle?

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by GM.Chief, Apr 24, 2009.

1. GM.Chief

GM.Chief Well-Known

Mar 16, 2009
    My wife and I are looking to purchase a hunting rifle in the near future for deer and/or hogs. What are yall's opinion for the best decent low to medium priced rifles/calibers?

2. dbgun

dbgun TGT Addict

Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    Remington/Mossberg/Savage in .243 or 25-06 for a first rifle.:2cents:

3. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Depends on terrain and some other things. How big are the deer in your area? What are you comfortable with? How long are the shots you'll likely take?

4. Bullseye Shooter

Bullseye Shooter Active Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    My first deer rifle was a .243 Winchester. I still have it and have shot lots of deer with it. All one shot kills. And I had a friend in Montana (he passed on) who used a .243 on elk, but he was able to get relatively close and place his shots. Having said that, if you're talking only one rifle for both deer and hogs, I would look at a .308 Winchester. A little easier on recoil than a .30-06 and cartridges with varying bullet weights and styles are available. The .308 will do pretty much anything a .30-06 will do with less powder.

I'm a big fan of Savage bolt actions. Excellent rifle with an inexpensive price compared to Remington and Winchester models.

5. dee

dee Well-Known

Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    There's no one perfect cartridge. I've used .223, .22-250, .243 and .30-06. I've had animals run with all four even with the .30-06 and hit was a perfect hit right through the vitals( heart and lungs were toast ). So I think it just depends on what the shooter wants personally. But keep in mind the smaller the caliber the less forgiving it is about shoot placement.

6. country_boy

country_boy TGT Addict

Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I use a semi auto sks with soft points. Always takes down a buck in one shot.
    Not really a fan of bolt action rifles.

7. dbgun

dbgun TGT Addict

Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    Agree, but if this is your first rifle & your wife is also going to shoot it, then IMHO the .243 is the way to start off with. If it's just you that's going to do the shooting, then I recommend the Win. 270 (in any name brand).:2cents:

8. Posit

Posit New Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Given the lack of more specific information - and probably even with more info: Savage or Tikka in 25-06. Low to medium price, both accurate out of the box, 25-06 will drop anything you're likely to run into in Texas, and most other places as well.

9. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    My wife loved taking hogs & deer with her brothers .243. When it was time for her own rifle, she went with the 25-06. Either of those are great starters and either will kill anything native to Texas. We know a lady that shoots a 30-06, but it does have more kick. I think it's easier to learn on something that doesn't intimidate you with its recoil. Due to that reason alone, I'd start with .243 or 25-06.

10. dee

dee Well-Known

Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I would also try and find people who have a few models of rifles cause different models and makes recoil different aven though they may be the same caliber.