• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I don't understand the recoil excuse. In hunting you are taking very few shots, and honestly you don't feel the recoil. I've shot .22 LR to .460 Weatherby Magnum, and would feel fine with either.

If you are "recoil sensitive" then opt for a heavy gun in a .30-caliber bullet, or a light gun with a .243 / 6mm bullet. In Texas you can get away with just about anything on most of our game. We just got back blowing up small varmints with a .204 Ruger.
    You can also opt for the 204 for deer if you want to put the time in to master that weapon to point where you can shoot the eyes out of flies at 200 or so. Shot placement is key. I wouldn't try a 204 on a hog, but I'd have no problem talking deer with it. My cousin used a 222 on deer and it did great. I know people that use a 257 or other quarter bore's for everything they do.
    Texas SOT

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    A fellow I work with has killed many hogs with his .204 out to 150yds or so. Like you said, it's about shot placement.
    No doubt it can be done. I just wouldn't want a newbie trying it and losing a wounded animal or worse having a wounded bore that decides that he dose not want to play nice.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    You can also opt for the 204 for deer if you want to put the time in to master that weapon to point where you can shoot the eyes out of flies at 200 or so. Shot placement is key. I wouldn't try a 204 on a hog, but I'd have no problem talking deer with it. My cousin used a 222 on deer and it did great. I know people that use a 257 or other quarter bore's for everything they do.

The .204 at close range does more damage than a .308. It's not going to punch through in a shoulder shot, but it will essentially blow up inside the animal. You put that in the vitals, or head, and it's lights out, but as you said, it's shot placement.

The .204 also has no recoil, but a pretty loud report (bullet is doing 4000 FPS). Barrel life is short, but it's a hunting gun.

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    All I can say is that at this point, I'm still grateful I found this site. Not only are you all full of great gun info in general, but it's nice to hear from people in the area who know what we'd be dealing with in the first place. Thanks for all the help everybody. While I still need to wait until my finances are ready for another gun purchase, you've given me alot to work with when making the final decision. Whenever I am able to buy the next gun, I'll be sure to let you know what I decide. Ofcourse that's kind of expected here...lol...we all want to show off our new "toys". Thanks again!!!

J-bone

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    I own a Rem. 700ADL in .270, it's a great shooting rifle, but recently purchased a Weatherby Vanguard in .270 with the tan synthetic stock. To be totally honest I think I like the Weatherby better. The barrel is slightly longer. I think this helps with accuracy. Not to mention the Weatherby was about $100 cheaper than the Remington. I passed my Rem. down to my 13 year old son. After that I found myself buying another rifle. This time a Howa bolt rifle in .223. Howa is the company that builds the Weatherby Vanguard series rifles for Weatherby. This rifle is awsome as well. All Im trying to say is look outside the Rem.---Winchester box. There are alot of good rifles out there. I found out about the Weatherbys and the Howas and Im totally satisfied with their accuracy and their fit & finish. $400 is always easier to spend than $500 and in my opinion the rifles are just as good as the Rem. if not better. .270 is my bullet of choice for whitetail. I've had 30-06, 7mm ,.300mag ,.308 ,30-30 ,.243 ,and several others. I always go back to the .270win. It just seems to work the best for deer. Thats why I gave my son my Rem. .270 and bought another .270 Weatherby. We both shoot the same caliber so I only have to buy one kind of bullet. Pretty smart I think.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    That's what a sidearm is for.
    Some places wont let you carry a side arm while you hunt. And I want the bullet to go threw both shoulders on a hog, that way he he gets a good anchoring wound and will not be so inclined to bite the hunter. Like I said, it can be done But I would recommend something a little more potent than the 204. In my opinion the 30-30, 308, 30-06, or the 270 would be better suited for hog work. I would even vote for the various quarter calibers like the 25-06 or the 257, but the 204 will not get my vote in the hog department. It's just not made for that kind of work. But you shoot what you want I'll shoot my 30-06, you shoot a 204. It don't matter to me one bit.

Libertarian_Longhorn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    I'd go with a 30-30 loaded with the new leverevolution polymer tips by Hornady. There's a reason the 30-30 is the most widely owned rifle in the country. Other than that, get a 30-06 if you plan on hunting elk or black bear one day.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I doubt it. They're is a 30-30 hanging on more walls across this country than AR 15's! And they have definitely killed more deer.

+1 I think the 30-30 as the AR beat right now, but at the rate they are selling may not be that way for long unless big brother steps in.

Old Man of the Mountain

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    I'm fairly certain that distinction goes to the AR-15...

It was announced on the NRA produced TV program "Shooting USA" that the NRA had declared the AR as "America's Rifle". They claimed that it was number one in yearly sales, number one in accessory sales, and number one in total numbers of rifles owned by Americans.

Don't know if that is correct, but that is what they said.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I doubt it. They're is a 30-30 hanging on more walls across this country than AR 15's! And they have definitely killed more deer.

+1 I think the 30-30 as the AR beat right now, but at the rate they are selling may not be that way for long unless big brother steps in.

I'm not so sure about that. I know that out of all the people I can pick up my cell and call, maybe two have a .30-30 in the house, but almost everybody else on the list has an AR-15 (or three), and one of the ones I'm counting in the .30-30 category has several ARs.

I'd be willing to be there are almost as many AR-type rifles in California alone than there are .30-30 rifles in the entire US.

Zen

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Kingwood, Tx
    In my sincerest and humble opinion, a Savage Model 11 can be had for $500, give or take, and the caliber options cover damn near anything. Not to mention the world of the Barrel Nut makes it much easier to change if you prefer later. I'm a .308 kind of guy myself - will take down damn near any 4 legged creature I'd ever have the need to as well as having proved itself against those more clever 2 legged ones, if need be.

Top Bottom