• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yetiking

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2016
    Sugar Land, Texas
    I have been going to more local shows. So far I really like the regular Pasadena shows as it has a good mix of vendors and a ton of individuals selling their own personal guns.

I have not been to any of the larger shows however and I am wanting some opinions on what the best gun show is Houston is to you and why ??

Also I love in Sugar Land and work in Houston so any great experiences with a good gun smith in either of those areas ?
    Military Camp

zedsdead

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2015
    I like the Pasadena show because parking is free, but I think the best show overall is the Houston Gun Collectors show at the Astro arena is the best from a standpoint of size and number of vendors.

It seems to me that attendees are drawn from a larger geographical area than the Pasadena show. Also, the members alway have displays of their personal collections, so there's a chance to see some really exotic guns there.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Parking & admission to the Houston shows are outrageous. I can think of better ways to waste a Saturday or Sunday. I really think changing demographics & the internet has killed gun shows for me. Way to much chinese junk, beef jerky & non related crap.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Parking & admission to the Houston shows are outrageous.
    Generally, I agree. For example, The Woodlands show dropped off my list for consideration because the parking lot is always full. People are forced to park in ditches and in the utility right-of-way across the street.

Sometimes, though, it's worth it. Conroe isn't bad. The parking is free and I've managed to find a space every time I've gone.

The HGCA show is a mixed bag. It's a bit of a drive. Also, I have to pay for parking and my parking spot may be quite a hike from the entrance. However, HGCA comes closest to having the good stuff on the tables. It's too bad that it's nowhere near what it once was. :(

Gramps

Cultured Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Central Houston
    What kinda 'smith work do you need? Briley's is at I-10 west & the Beltway. I know of a top notch 1911/2011 builder in Spring. There is a rifle guy in Waller, forget his name at the moment.

Gun shows - it's been a crap shoot for me. As a newbie it was awesome! Lots of really cool stuff to look at, fondle the new hotness & things I couldn't afford. But as I matured a bit, got a taste for a bit more outside the mainstream items or good deals, the HGCA show was the only that offered interest. As others have mentioned, parking & admission puts a dent in the good deal value.

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    The HGCA shows are decent enough. Just AVOID the one that always gets scheduled right after the SHOT show. Most big vendors, and a lot of the smaller ones, go to SHOT and are far too tired to do an immediate turn around for that show. I went to it this year and it was a quarter what it is in the other times.

I too like the Pasadena shows due to the proximity and free parking.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ... HGCA shows ... AVOID the one that always gets scheduled right after the SHOT show. ...
    QFT.

Side note - I've often wondered if anyone takes the train to the HGCA show. There's a train stop right there. Anybody?

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    QFT.

Side note - I've often wondered if anyone takes the train to the HGCA show. There's a train stop right there. Anybody?

I've done it for the rodeo, but not HGCA. The hike from the train stop to the door where they hold the show would make the hike from a parking spot look like a trip to your refrigerator in comparison.

A & P

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2014
    Tomball/Magnolia
    Second that. I was about the post the link but CZPistol beat me to it. His name is Pete Pieper (yes, like Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers).

I think he just does precision barrel work, like the name says. He's not going to fit your 1911. But I've seen threads he's done for barrels for silencers and it's immaculate. I've sent a few people to him. My uncle used him and when I was going to refer my uncle to a smith, it turned out he already knew him and eats breakfast with him regularly! He's in Hempstead, btw.

I also hear Tommy(?) just north of Tomball (called Master Gunsmith; on SH149 just off 249) does great work but he's semi-retired.

I've seen a few barrels threaded near Carter Country (not saying names so as not to bash...but, ...) and it wasn't the best work I've seen, but it was the cheapest. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

I guess it depends on what type of work you're needing done.

Top Bottom