• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    LOL! I thought I knew jack but I started getting into some of the BC, drop angle calculations, harmonics, etc... and I realized just how much I didn't know so now I'm going to act like a beginner and ask a sh*t ton of questions to all the guys and gals that know there bitness.

Harmonics is easy to work around, as most harmonic problems in precision bolt-rifles are a narrow window that you can tune out. I've rarely seen harmonic issues in most precision rifles.

The heavy barrel guns help reduce the total harmonic flexure anyways, but it still doesn't take much flexure to induce problems if it is at the crown when the bullet leaves. You're talking a tiny, tiny fraction of a second of a difference, which can be mitigated by something as simple as seating depth and neck tension.

BC is nice, but it pretty much just dictates how well the bullet retains it's velocity during it's flight path. Bullets with poor BC's develop alot of drag, and that causes them to shed velocity and drop quickly. However, because the bullet travels at a fraction of a degree, due to gyroscopic forces from the rifling twist, the added drag can cause an increase in spin-drift (Magnus Effect).

That is also why match bullets have lightweight or hollow front nose construction, to polarize the centroid mass of the bullet to try and mitigate the magnitude of the gyroscopic cant.
    ARJ Defense ad

Thumper_6119

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Amarillo, Texas
    When I was putting together my bolt gun for "long range" precision shooting, I knew I'd be shooting mostly at the ranges that you specified, but I also wanted to be able to hit 1k accurately. I went with the .308. It's not an "exotic" round so it's usually a little cheaper and easier to find. It's also a little cheaper to reload. I only shoot match ammo through my bolt gun, and I'm looking at starting to reload this winter.

My rifle is a Remington 700 5R with an AICS chassis and a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50mm scope w/NPR1 reticule.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    There are so many different calibers that you could choose for what you want to do that would work fine. If you reload you can make the most out of any caliber. If you don't,then you are limited by what factory ammo you can find.

I personally like 30 calibers for what I shoot.I reload,and there is a great selection of bullets,powder to work up the ideal load for each of my rifles. I shoot mostly shoot under 400yrds,because I don't have any longer areas that are close enough for me to go to often.

I also like Savage heavy barreled rifles,they are very accurate out of the box,and the aftermarket for them is almost as big as the Remington 700.
    Remington makes a great rifle,but I think their quality has slipped in the last several years.

Recoil really isn't an issue if you are looking at a heavy barreled type gun,I shoot a Savage 110FLP 300WM and with the weight of the gun,you can't feel the recoil.I have shot over 200 rds out of it in a day,and never even felt it.Even with Max loads,the bipod just raises off the ground,but the recoil is nothing to your shoulder.

001.gif

If you aren't going to be shooting over 500-600 yrds just about anything from a 223 and up will do what you want. But remember the lighter the bullet the more you will have to deal with wind drift issues. Changing for distance is easy,Kentucky windage is an art,and takes a long time to get good at it,at long ranges.

And then there is the issue of what kind of scope to put on it. Good scopes will run you as much if not more than the price of your rifle. If you want to shoot at long ranges don't cheap out on a scope. The $200 scope might look just as good as a $1000 scope at the store looking 30-40yrds across the store,but take it outside and look at something 500yrds away and you will see a big difference between them at high magnification. Not that you have to have the best,just get as much as you can afford,but be prepared to get a good quality scope. THB

Top Bottom