• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goobs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2014
    i have an old 870 wingmaster that i would like put a +10 mag ext. on, what are some reliable brands?
    also would i be sacrilege to have it cerakoted? it has some minor surface rust and id like to have it more of an earthy color than re-bluing.
    Gun Zone Deals

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Get it refinished if you want. You can't hurt the value and may even help it. Unless it is a family heirloom that is. If so, then save it and buy another to modify.

Remington makes extensions but I am not sure if they are available in that length. I have never tried theirs though.

I have had good luck with offbrand extensions (Choate I believe, the common ones available anyways). There are bad reviews out there but when you make tons of them it is going to happen. I think I own three or four now.

goobs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2014
    its not a family heirloom, picked up it up at a garage sell for $100.
    thanks for the help guys.

EDIT: i wanted the plus nine but its too long for my gun, so it'll probably be the +7 which will be a hair longer than the barrel.

im liking the nordic stuff.

Last edited:

goobs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2014
    I've got the Tacstar +10 extension on my 870. Been pleased with it so far. Put it on shortly after I bought the 870 a year ago.

so it's 10 rds total? because on tacstar website its says minimum 26"(i have a 28" barrel) for +10 and on nordics website their +9 adds 23" after the barrel lug. so im assuming the nordic actually adds 9 rounds and the tacstar adds to the existing rnd count.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    so it's 10 rds total? because on tacstar website its says minimum 26"(i have a 28" barrel) for +10 and on nordics website their +9 adds 23" after the barrel lug. so im assuming the nordic actually adds 9 rounds and the tacstar adds to the existing rnd count.

Yes, it's 10 rounds total in the magazine. I've got the 28" barrel (pretty sure, but don't have it near to measure), and it's almost the entire length of the barrel, save maybe the last 2" roughly.

Watchdog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio
    Remmy factory ones are fine, Scattergun Tech makes some different ones too. I would stay away from tacstar and cheap ones as the springs bind, and get hung up at the junction. I think the S&J followers are the best ones you can get though.

You can get shotties dirt cheap at times, I picked up a Mossberg 500 for $150 in August, older all metal model. :)

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    I like the Remington-branded extensions, because they seem to match the gun's finish the best. But if you're getting it cerakoted then I'd go with whatever's cheapest.

This sounds like a 800 pound shotgun you're trying to build. Mag tube all the way out a 28" barrel? That's gonna be unwieldy.

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    I had the 10 round extension on my 870. It was cool at first but that wore off with all that weight pulling the front down. Great for blasting a lot but sucks to carry it and swing. Tacstar was the one I had and the spring sucked, I always wanted to try a Nordic extension.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    To me, the extension doesn't add much weight by itself. Y'all are correct that with a full 10 rounds it will be heavy. On the other hand, though, you have the capacity there IF you need it, but you don't HAVE to load it with a full 10 rounds. When I want maximum firepower, it'll always be capable of it, unlike if you went with a lower capacity extension, or no extension. That being said, most of the time my shotgun will be for home defense, therefore 10 rounds of 00 12 gauge buck will always be in it while on home defense duty.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    To me, the extension doesn't add much weight by itself. Y'all are correct that with a full 10 rounds it will be heavy. On the other hand, though, you have the capacity there IF you need it, but you don't HAVE to load it with a full 10 rounds. When I want maximum firepower, it'll always be capable of it, unlike if you went with a lower capacity extension, or no extension. That being said, most of the time my shotgun will be for home defense, therefore 10 rounds of 00 12 gauge buck will always be in it while on home defense duty.

I don't think anyone is basing their weight cautions on an empty tube.

goobs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2014
    this is just a paper killer really and the occasional bird gun. nobody likes reloading so more is better. the weight isnt an issue, and like stated i dont have to fully load it.

on a side note, is there a place i can get like a "chilton" manual for specific guns?

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    on a side note, is there a place i can get like a "chilton" manual for specific guns?

What exactly are you looking for? If you're just looking for a basic "how to field strip, clean, etc" your gun, then the manufacturer (assuming they're still in business) usually has the manual that would have come with the gun for download. If you're looking for more detailed than just a field strip, or for a gun that's not made any more, then YouTube can be your friend.

goobs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2014
    i want to know anything and everything. i have, for all my vehicle's the actual mfg service manual, i would like the same for my guns. if i wanted to take it apart, down to every little nut and bolt and put it back together, i want a book that'll tell me that.

Top Bottom