Texas SOT

Best Non +P Self-Defense Load for a .38 Spl Snubbie?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HawkeyeSATX

Jul 15, 2014
    Here is some really good data...

Hawk
    353756c91f1991dea22f809b4d361d33.jpg

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    May 12, 2009
    the biggest bullet, with the hottest load, than you can shoot consistently and accurately out of a given weapon.
    i am not an expert.
    but it seems to make sense. more energy more better right?
    to many variable from person to person or weapon to weapon to say.

personally i would carry a larger revolver and not worry about it.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Jun 23, 2014
    What's the best non +P self-defense load for a snubbie .38 Special? I know that +Ps have more energy, but recoil control can be a problem with them in a 16 oz gun.

Cityboy

Cityboy,

Let me give you an answer, based on my experience in observing ME's postmortem exams.

The MOST deadly wounds that are suitable for use with a J or K -frame .38 "snubbie" are caused by a hit to the central torso with a 200-220 grain SOFT LEAD bullet at about 700FPS.

At "self-defense ranges", that LONG & HEAVY FOR CALIBER lead bullet tumbles inside the chest & causes MASSIVE damage to both bones & soft tissues. = The "tumbling action" results in the bullet expending ALL of its energy in the first 12-14 inches of the thorax.
    (In the mid-1930s, the British Army found that their 200 grain soft lead .38 caliber bullet at 680FPS actually caused MORE massive damage to human tissue when fired into "fresh cadavers" than their old .455 caliber revolver round did.)

yours, satx

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    the biggest bullet, with the hottest load, than you can shoot consistently and accurately out of a given weapon.
    i am not an expert.
    but it seems to make sense. more energy more better right?
    to many variable from person to person or weapon to weapon to say.

personally i would carry a larger revolver and not worry about it.
    Technically speaking the fastest bullet has the most energy. That would be the lightest bullet with the highest velocity. They have the most recoil too.

That being said I always buy heavier for caliber rounds for personal defense. I just like them better.

To answer the OP, Hornady is my go to manufacturer for most bullets for serious work.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Whatever you can find or what you currently have. No need to waste time searching for something that doesn’t exist. Remember the Military’s have been putting them down forever with Ball ammo in 45acp, 9mm.

Last edited:

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    In non-+P .38SPL ammo, you can't expect any expansion from a hollowpoint. Your best bet is a bullet with a flat nose (meplat) like a wadcutter or semiwadcutter.

But, as said above, use whatever you can get. Can't be picky these days.....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Cityboy

Jan 20, 2021
    Fredericksburg, TX

HawkeyeSATX,

Just noted that the data provided are from a 7.7" barrel--any idea how much the velocities and energy would be reduced shooting these loads from a 2" barrel?

Cityboy

45tex

TGT Addict
    Feb 1, 2009
    Whatever you can find or what you currently have. No need to waste time searching for something that doesn’t exist. Remember the Military’s have been putting them down forever with Ball ammo in 45acp, 9mm.
    Until very recently the military use of ball ammo was due to treaties {Hague Conventions et al}
    With ball ammo the enemy is often wounded thus requiring 1 to 3 other enemy soldiers to tend to wounds. If the enemy is killed he can be ignored until the battle is over. Shoot one take out 2 or 3, works well in conventional warfare. Leaves our military at a disadvantage in the unconventional terrorist actions of today. So the old adtage about it being gooid enough for Uncle Sam so its good enough for me. Is not good for self defense with a handgun. which is a last resort weapon for the military to begin with.

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    The answer is: "the load that you can shoot the most accurately with..."

The .38 special is not a slouch cartridge by any means and pretty much any 158-grain bullet will do the job. As with every CCW, shot placement is key and the person that puts the most lead in critical places typically is the one that survives the fight. I don't know anyone that would stand in front of the business end of a snub nose revolver, even with cowboy loads.

IMO, +P in .38 special is not my "go-to" cartridge out for my carry M85 or 605.
    For me, they are harder to control and stay accurate at distances beyond 10-feet. If I feel more power would be needed, I would carry a .357 magnum over a +P .38 special.

I practice with my .38 special M85 at 20', with standard loads and I demand accuracy within a 4" group at that distance. Anything more is not acceptable, and in my experience, I get a lot of fliers with hot ammo out of the shorter 2" barrel.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Supposedly there is some self defense ammo specifically designed and loaded for snub nose revolvers with some secret powders that do best in a snub. Good luck at this time trying to find something.
    Doesn’t luckygunner.com have some testing on this?

Last edited:

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Until very recently the military use of ball ammo was due to treaties {Hague Conventions et al}
    With ball ammo the enemy is often wounded thus requiring 1 to 3 other enemy soldiers to tend to wounds. If the enemy is killed he can be ignored until the battle is over. Shoot one take out 2 or 3, works well in conventional warfare. Leaves our military at a disadvantage in the unconventional terrorist actions of today. So the old adtage about it being gooid enough for Uncle Sam so its good enough for me. Is not good for self defense with a handgun. which is a last resort weapon for the military to begin with.
    I know all about it but the fact remains ball ammo kills just as lead balls kill. The point was there is no perfect combo for self defense regardless of firearm. It’s just like Ford versus Chevy versus Dodge and always will be.

Top Bottom