• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amistad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2008
    San Antone
    Stoeger Cougar 8000F

I did a lot of Internet research before buying this gun a few weeks ago. As of yesterday, I've put 1,300 rounds through it. I can say without reservation that this is the smoothest, sweetest nine I have ever shot, hands down.

The aluminum alloy frame adds to its value in my view, and the rotating barrel locking system eats up some of the felt recoil. A very, very cool gun, especially for the money. I like the 9mm so much that I have since bought the Beretta Cougar .45 (no longer manufactured) as well. I caught my two "big cats" napping the other morning and grabbed a shot of them before they began stirring. You can see them here:

http://www.freshonmymind.com/cougar_45-9/cougar-pair.jpg

I carry the nine most of the time and love the thing!

Amistad

SAND_MAN1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Fort Worth
    ^ Nice pic! I just bought mine last night after reading alot of reviews on several forums and doing some research. I plan on going tonight and doing some shooting at one of the gun ranges here.

Amistad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2008
    San Antone
    Importance of adequate lube

Sandman, I would encourage you to field strip the piece and ensure that there appears to be adequate lubrication inside the slide where parts rub together. This is especially important regarding the lug on the locking block where it moves back and forth in the diagonal channel of the barrel.

When I first took mine out to the range, I have some failure to feed problems. I broke the gun down, examined it closely, and discovered that it was very dry inside. Since applying adequate lube to this beauty, it hasn't missed a lick, not even once! (I keep it somewhat "wet" when I clean it upon returning from a trip to the range...)

Amistad

shinerb24

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Go with a Beretta M9/92FS, or Glock, don't waste money on Taurus, there is alot of JUNK in the gun industry, my thoughts on Taurus and Springfield XDs, JUNK!!! Go with something that is not going to malfunction when you need it the most. Colts, Springfield 1911s, or HK

onac255

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    Go with a Beretta M9/92FS, or Glock, don't waste money on Taurus, there is alot of JUNK in the gun industry, my thoughts on Taurus and Springfield XDs, JUNK!!! Go with something that is not going to malfunction when you need it the most. Colts, Springfield 1911s, or HK

XDs are junk?...hmmm... Your funny.

Oh and welcome to the site.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    I'll throw in my props for the Stoeger Cougar. I love mine, and it cost $399.99 at Academy (right under the price limit, not counting tax of course). I have small to medium hands, and the grip works great for me. Plus, Beretta's website is selling extra 15 round "LE-only" marked mags for the Beretta Cougar (same gun, different name) for $20 a piece. Just be sure to get a "D" hammerspring from Dave Olhasso's website (click on the link to go there). Changing out the hammerspring with the DAO Cougar's hammerspring goes a long way to making the DA pull much nicer. I also recommend the polymer guide rod be replaced by a stainless stell guide rod, also from Dave Olhasso (he's currently out of stock on them at the moment).

Considering a Stoeger Cougar in 9mm as a reasonable priced bed side gun....I thnk it's a little big for CC. Question.......are all Cougars D/A only?? Sales people at Academy don't know and with trigger lock in place...you can't tell.

onac255

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    Considering a Stoeger Cougar in 9mm as a reasonable priced bed side gun....I thnk it's a little big for CC. Question.......are all Cougars D/A only?? Sales people at Academy don't know and with trigger lock in place...you can't tell.

Most Cougar models are traditional DA/SA pistols.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    are all Cougars D/A only?? Sales people at Academy don't know and with trigger lock in place...you can't tell.

No, DA/SA. And you can always tell the morons at Academy to take the lock off and cock it for you...assuming they won't let you handle it sans lock.

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    Last fall, I bought a lightly used 1991 made SIG P228 9mm from a local store for around 400 bucks.

For the 400 dollar range, that would make a great first carry gun. Its very reliable, well made and accurate.

You might search around for a police trade in P228 - they're out there for about 400 dollars.

- brickboy240

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    ......Springfield XDs, JUNK!!! Go with something that is not going to malfunction when you need it the most. Colts, Springfield 1911s, or HK

Junk huh? I am assuming you have ZERO experience with an XD... Mine has run flawlessly since I got it, the only malfunctions were manufactured for training purposes and it is amazingly acurate right out of the box. I have yet to find an XD OWNER with problems, alot of people who have absolutley no idea seem to have problems with it tho.....

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    No kidding!

I have an XD40 that has never jammed in the 7 years I have owned it and shot it heavily.

The XD might not be top of the line, but its way far from junk. If you ask me, they run great for what you pay for them. Mags can be found everywhere and don't run you 50 bucks a pop like the HK, either.

- brickboy240

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I would for sure have you're son be the one to handle the gun before the perchase as he is going to be the one shooting it.I'm looking into the xd's, cuz I don't like Glocks.(it's just my opinion nothing wrong with em I just don't like them all that much) In my research I've heard very little BAD about xd's or glock's for that matter. And I own a cz 75B .40 and only had 1 problem after over about 1,000 rounds and I'm not sure the fail to feed wasn't my falt threw poor oiling the day before the range trip.the 75 is a bit big for a ccw but the point is that you should probably save up the extra 50 or bucks for a "big" name. If I were you I'd stay away from high piont tho
    p.s the cz feeding problem happend twice in the same day within 15 min of each other and after some rem oil on the slide preformed perfectly

Top Bottom