• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ETex2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Rowlett
    My son has decided he wants to get a CHL, and is in the market for a 9mm. He wants to spend around $400 at most. Used is fine. I told him that I'm partial to the Ruger, since I've had a P95 for many years that I'm quite fond of. He's a big guy, big hands, etc.. He's depending on me for advice. He's asked me to look around for him, and may buy one at the gun show this weekend to sell to him, since I have a CHL.

Opinions or advice?
    Texas SOT

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    I think first and foremost he needs to shoot whatever it is he wants to carry/own before purchasing, at the very least he needs to hold and handle the gun. As for the "brand" I would say whatever he likes out of what he shoots and handles, go from there. I like Taurus, glock, and have recently been looking into the Springfield XD (have not shot one though)

Just a reminder, you may pick up a gun that feels good in hand, but not like the way it shoots, and just because you like it, your son may not...

Hope I've been of some help to ya.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    If I was going to buy, without firing, I'd save up another $150 and try out the PX4 Storm (Beretta). That thing felt like warm butter in my hand.

One of the first Kimbers I held was a Raptor. I did not like it at all. My wife talked me into taking a second look at Kimber and I couldn't be happier. Buttah!

txtrooper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    There is nothing wrong with the Ruger pistols. I have owned a couple and they seem to be dependable and cost efficient. If money is a concern, take a look at the Kel-Tec 9mm. I believe that it is under $300. I like the size and price, although it is not very fun to shoot. I believe that it would be a dependable cost efficient carry pistol for the price. Good luck.

tju1973

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    McKinney Texas
    For the price you listed, I would look at a Taurus PT111 Millennium (not Pro). I got one for $279 at Academy a few weeks ago, and I love it. Although it has 10 round mags, the MilPro mags (12 rounds) work in it fine ( I use my wifes mags in mine at the range). That, or maybe look at a good condition used Ruger, Bersa, or or even maybe an FEG High Power clone...

czechmate82

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    I'll throw in my props for the Stoeger Cougar. I love mine, and it cost $399.99 at Academy (right under the price limit, not counting tax of course). I have small to medium hands, and the grip works great for me. Plus, Beretta's website is selling extra 15 round "LE-only" marked mags for the Beretta Cougar (same gun, different name) for $20 a piece. Just be sure to get a "D" hammerspring from Dave Olhasso's website (click on the link to go there). Changing out the hammerspring with the DAO Cougar's hammerspring goes a long way to making the DA pull much nicer. I also recommend the polymer guide rod be replaced by a stainless stell guide rod, also from Dave Olhasso (he's currently out of stock on them at the moment).

onac255

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    I'll throw in my props for the Stoeger Cougar. I love mine, and it cost $399.99 at Academy (right under the price limit, not counting tax of course). I have small to medium hands, and the grip works great for me. Plus, Beretta's website is selling extra 15 round "LE-only" marked mags for the Beretta Cougar (same gun, different name) for $20 a piece. Just be sure to get a "D" hammerspring from Dave Olhasso's website (click on the link to go there). Changing out the hammerspring with the DAO Cougar's hammerspring goes a long way to making the DA pull much nicer. I also recommend the polymer guide rod be replaced by a stainless stell guide rod, also from Dave Olhasso (he's currently out of stock on them at the moment).

Thanks for the heads up on the hammer spring.

Also My Cougar came with a stainless steel guide rod from the factory.

Do you have an earlier cougar?

Darkwind

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Houston
    I got my PT-92AF from Academy a few years ago- price was $399 (before taxes)

it's my EDC blaster

pt92.gif

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom