Join TexasGunTalk

best place for good training in Texas

Discussion in 'Training & Competition' started by awmp, Jul 31, 2008.

1. awmp

awmp New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Since Thunder Ranch left some time ago were are some good places in Texas to train? Austin, Dallas ?

2. fm2

fm2 Event Coordinator

Apr 27, 2008
    What kind of training are you looking for? Self defense, to get better at IDPA or IPSC, PPC.....

There are many traveling trainers that offer great training in Texas. Tom Givens, John Farnam, SouthNarc, Tactical response.........

For CHL holders with a focus on self defense, I recommend a basic defensive pistol class, from any of those below. After that I suggest ShivWorks PUC & ECQC 1-2 class.

Here's some excellent training schools.

CSAT, near Nacogdoches
    http://www.combatshootingandtactics.com/

Tac pro: near Ft.Worth
    http://www.tacproshootingcenter.com/

KR training has a good program that has very gradual steps between classes. near Austin
    http://www.krtraining.com/

3. htxred

htxred Active Member

Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    beginner's tactical on tuesday nights at shiloh. sort of like a intro to IDPA.
    advance tactical workout hosted by Comp-tac victory gear on wednesday nights at shiloh. Gregg Garrett and Gordoan Carol do have private leassons/classes of their own. Brian Hoffner has a few things going on at various ranges throughout the houston area. John Farnam is having a class in october and november.

4. Hoji

Hoji Bowling-Pin Commando

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Lone Star Gun Range near Lockhart is VERY good. Allows draw from the holster and rapid fire{no full auto yet}

5. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX

I second that. ;)

6. popo22

popo22 Member

Feb 1, 2009
    You might want to try this Officer, he works and teaches in te Austin area. Accuracy Influenced Mechanics
    I know him to be a very good shooter and instructor.

Good Luck

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Active Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Karl Rehn (krtraining.com) just SE of Austin. Excellent shooter (IPSC Grand Master), NRA instructor trainer, well versed in SD issues. Highly recommend Karl.

8. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Here's some I'd recommend:

Jeff Gonzales at Trident Concepts Trident Concepts, LLC.; Concepts that meet reality, it is worth the effort He's based out of Cedar Park now and offers quite a few different types of courses. Good guy and well regarded in the industry.

Larry Vickers of Vickers Tactical Vickers Tactical This guy should be on everyone's training short list. The classes are expensive but, this is pretty much the highest quality instruction you can get. Larry is a former member of a tier 1 military SF unit (look at his site, you'll see what I mean), so basically you will get the best of the best. You really can't ask for much more than that.

There are many other great instructors out there. Those are just a couple I remembered off the top of my head.

9. tomharkness

tomharkness Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Bring your Kel Tec's

10. accordingtoome

accordingtoome Active Member

Oct 13, 2008
    ya you never know if you need something to put under an uneven table leg,.