• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • awmp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2008
    Since Thunder Ranch left some time ago were are some good places in Texas to train? Austin, Dallas ?

fm2

Event Coordinator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    What kind of training are you looking for? Self defense, to get better at IDPA or IPSC, PPC.....

There are many traveling trainers that offer great training in Texas. Tom Givens, John Farnam, SouthNarc, Tactical response.........

For CHL holders with a focus on self defense, I recommend a basic defensive pistol class, from any of those below. After that I suggest ShivWorks PUC & ECQC 1-2 class.

Here's some excellent training schools.

CSAT, near Nacogdoches
    http://www.combatshootingandtactics.com/

Tac pro: near Ft.Worth
    http://www.tacproshootingcenter.com/

KR training has a good program that has very gradual steps between classes. near Austin
    http://www.krtraining.com/

htxred

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    beginner's tactical on tuesday nights at shiloh. sort of like a intro to IDPA.
    advance tactical workout hosted by Comp-tac victory gear on wednesday nights at shiloh. Gregg Garrett and Gordoan Carol do have private leassons/classes of their own. Brian Hoffner has a few things going on at various ranges throughout the houston area. John Farnam is having a class in october and november.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Karl Rehn (krtraining.com) just SE of Austin. Excellent shooter (IPSC Grand Master), NRA instructor trainer, well versed in SD issues. Highly recommend Karl.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Here's some I'd recommend:

Jeff Gonzales at Trident Concepts Trident Concepts, LLC.; Concepts that meet reality, it is worth the effort He's based out of Cedar Park now and offers quite a few different types of courses. Good guy and well regarded in the industry.

Larry Vickers of Vickers Tactical Vickers Tactical This guy should be on everyone's training short list. The classes are expensive but, this is pretty much the highest quality instruction you can get. Larry is a former member of a tier 1 military SF unit (look at his site, you'll see what I mean), so basically you will get the best of the best. You really can't ask for much more than that.

There are many other great instructors out there. Those are just a couple I remembered off the top of my head.

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    You might want to try this Officer, he works and teaches in te Austin area. Accuracy Influenced Mechanics
    I know him to be a very good shooter and instructor.

Good Luck

Nice, Antoine is teaching the public now. He was a firearms instructor for APD academy for a few years before getting promoted.

I have shot with Antoine for years and can attest that he knows his stuff.

Especially good if you want to get into practical shooting, last I saw he was a Master in the IPSC Limited class.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Nice, Antoine is teaching the public now. He was a firearms instructor for APD academy for a few years before getting promoted.

I have shot with Antoine for years and can attest that he knows his stuff.

Especially good if you want to get into practical shooting, last I saw he was a Master in the IPSC Limited class.

He certainly seems to know how to shoot pretty darn well:

YouTube - USPSA Limited GM Antoine Lane

I wish I could do follow up shots that fast! ;)

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    He certainly seems to know how to shoot pretty darn well:

YouTube - USPSA Limited GM Antoine Lane

I wish I could do follow up shots that fast! ;)

Nice he made GM. He sure can run that Dawson Limited gun..... it has always amazed me...

What was truly amazing though was how well he ran a Glock 21 shooting IPSC limited before he went over to the 2011 dark side... :)

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Nice he made GM. He sure can run that Dawson Limited gun..... it has always amazed me...

What was truly amazing though was how well he ran a Glock 21 shooting IPSC limited before he went over to the 2011 dark side... :)

Since he's local, I'm thinking about trying to get a group together to have a pistol training course from him a bit later in the year, and maybe get up an AAR if things work out. I'm getting interested in the mechanical side of handgun shooting, improving speed of follow up shots, etc basically much of what more "competition" oriented shooting deals with. I'm into handguns from the self defense standpoint but, as long as I can learn the physical mechanics behind doing things "better" and faster then I feel like I can build on that and it's more tools for the toolbox at least.

shilohshooters

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    north houston
    Right on brother, shooting is a a continuing education that never stops. Let us know if you put that together. I'll make sure either Knock-Ngoc or myself makes it down there.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    If you watched the you tube video of Antoine you may have noticed that was 24 shots with a draw and a reload in 8.04 seconds. Yeah, that is fast. How many here could shoot 24 shots in 8.04 seconds much less aimed with a draw and a reload.

I have shot with Antoine on a number of occasions. He is a good, humble guy w/the passion and desire to improve his skills. I'm sure he would put on a good class. If someone gets something together with him I would be willing to help out.

Top Bottom