• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I thought about picking up a good safe before my wifey leaves her current job & looses her employee discount, but I don't particularly want to load and haul one across country and we're only talking a couple hundred bucks in savings anyway, so once we get down to our new home I need an honest gun safe. We've been living in rentals for years so I couldn't exactly bolt stuff down, or to the walls so I've just been using a free standing Stack On cabinet for now but its time to invest in a real safe with some fire protection and security. Where's a good place within a reasonable drive of Magnolia to get one?

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    The store that sells safes!

Seriously, once you get located, you might reach out and do a Google search of your ares, since I assume you don't want to have to haul a heavy safe very far. Some places might even offer free delivery as an option.

Maybe some members here close to the area you move to might have some suggestions to help you out.

Looking forward to you moving to Texas!

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    The store that sells safes!

Seriously, once you get located, you might reach out and do a Google search of your ares, since I assume you don't want to have to haul a heavy safe very far. Some places might even offer free delivery as an option.

Maybe some members here close to the area you move to might have some suggestions to help you out.

Looking forward to you moving to Texas!

That's why I'm asking here - this crowd is probably going to have first hand experience vs google's recommendations. Free moving is great, but if we have to move it, it shouldn't be an issue. My pop has a cargo trailer and truck he'll help me move whatever we need with, and I've got an appliance hand truck that *should* be up to the task of moving it. Might have to employ a rope & pulley system to get it up the stairs if we can't muster enough manpower, but we could get it done.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Bought my first Ft Knox from the dealer in Houston - Safes R Us, at 12757 East Freeway in Houston. Their # is (713) 455-2741. Tried a couple of other manufacturers subsequent to that, then bought another Ft Knox a couple of years ago. The next one will be another Ft Knox, as well. I just like their build quality and fire-resistance better.
    If you ARE going for a fire rated safe, I would not even think about doing a self-delivery. Mine weight in at like 1800+ lbs - NOT something you wanna do yourself, IMO - and I have a lift gate on my truck that'd move it.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Tractor Supply has some decent deals from time to time.

That's a prime example of getting what you pay for.....although "budget" safes have their place, once your collection grows to a certain point, it makes sense to spend the coin to get a better one. Go play with a few Champion, Ft Knox, etc upper end safes and you'll better understand - especially the locking mechanism.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Budget matters.
    Until you reach a certain price point, they are basically just containers, some are slightly better than others, though.
    Just look for them to go on sale.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Budget matters.
    Until you reach a certain price point, they are basically just containers, some are slightly better than others, though.
    Just look for them to go on sale.

Have a buddy with a VERY extensive collection. His China-made safe has had the locking mechanism fail twice now. He's paying $500/pop to get it "fixed" each time......at some point, he'll get the hint.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Have a buddy with a VERY extensive collection. His China-made safe has had the locking mechanism fail twice now. He's paying $500/pop to get it "fixed" each time......at some point, he'll get the hint.

"Most" don't have your budget.

Mine has never given me any problems, but it's a dial, not electronic.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    "Most" don't have your budget.

Mine has never given me any problems, but it's a dial, not electronic.

Way I figure it is, the safe represents replacement cost of 3-4 of the guns it's protecting......that's what made me decide to "up the game". But, I get what you're saying, as well - my first safe was a LOT less expensive than what I'm using now, but the gun values were a LOT less, as well.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I bought a Liberty Safe from a dealer that delivered and set it up in my house and good thing because that bitch weighs just under 1000 lbs empty

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Used safes can be had for a good deal sometimes....when folks move and don't want to take them for what ever reason....

They tend to let them go cheap just to get someone else to move them......

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Used safes can be had for a good deal sometimes....when folks move and don't want to take them for what ever reason....

They tend to let them go cheap just to get someone else to move them......

Not the upper end ones.....at least, not that I've seen in years. They'll usually bring just under what a new one costs, it seems.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Body is still only 12ga.
    I'd compare prices with others keeping that in mind.

ETA: Quick look didn't show price.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Body is still only 12ga.
    I'd compare prices with others keeping that in mind.

ETA: Quick look didn't show price.
    I'm honestly at a loss for what to get I have $2,000 to spend give or take. Also I have to mount to the wall

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom