• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thegomezclan

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    Kerrville Tx
    I'm really thinking about building a ak and wanted to know where would be the best place to get a 80% lower. I don't mind spending money for quality and is ak builders a good place to buy parts and tools. Thanks for any info.
    Hurley's Gold

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Last edited:

Thegomezclan

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    Kerrville Tx
    Depends what you're wantthrough ito achieve. Do you have an AK-kit yet, and what kind? Are you looking for a milled or stamped receiver? Do you have the skills and tools to bend a flat, weld the rails in place yourself and heat-treat the receiver? etc, etc.

Have a read through here to see what's involved first: Surplus Gun Nuts - Part 1 - How To Build Your Own AK47

[url]http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/souptonuts1/index.asp

[/URL]
    Wow Andy, thanks for the link. I will look through it.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I think the term you want is "receiver." There is no "lower" on a Kalashnikov, and I've never heard of an "80%" unless you mean a bent blank or a drilled flat.

However, the receiver on an AK is like the lower on an AR in that it is the serialized part of the rifle that is considered a firearm.

Cheers! M2

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Sorry, yes receivers. Yup buy 80% I mean pre bent.

Gotcha! And no worries, it's a completely different world for someone who is used to building ARs...

NDA is pretty much the standard for AK receivers, but you have to know what you're building and what parts you are building it from before ordering one.

Good luck, and if you have any questions feel free to ask!

Cheers! M2

Thegomezclan

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    Kerrville Tx
    Thanks MMM, I'm not in a big hurry buy all the parts because I have an ak 74 built by Arsenal. How hard can it be to build one if they are being built buy terrorists in cave in Afghanistan.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Thanks MMM, I'm not in a big hurry buy all the parts because I have an ak 74 built by Arsenal. How hard can it be to build one if they are being built buy terrorists in cave in Afghanistan.

Well, it's a lot different than an AR! I would advise finding a builder in your area that can show you the ropes. It's not anything you want to do on your own unless you have gunsmithing skills, experience and equipment.

Sure, they're building AKs in the Khyber Pass using hammers and other crude instruments; but you really wouldn't want to shoot one of those if you can help it! They've been know to explode on occasion or, if you're lucky, just be inaccurate as hell!

By the way, are you looking to build another -74 or a -47?

Cheers! M2

Thegomezclan

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    Kerrville Tx
    I have a lead on getting two 80% receivers that are heat treated already and they are for the 47. I hope somebody in my area with experience building AKs will chime in.

00-Guy

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 27, 2011
    San Antonio
    The difference in building an AK vice an AR rifle is that the AK build requires special tools to fashion the receiver if you do not buy pre-bent. (a jig, press and a welder. include some way to heat treat.) You'll then need a 12 ton press and jig to press the rivets or mod a pair of bolt cutters to press them. Pressing the barrel can be easy with some modified all-thread and a few brass connectors. The problem will be the receiver connector to hold this setup all together. Sure all the rest can be done with a bow-drill and a hacksaw, but if I'm shooting it, I'll be using a drill press, mill and at least a dremel.

Today you need to figure out how many AKs you want to build to justify the cost of the tooling. Figure that 4 or 5 builds to "break even". The costs of kits are not what they were 5 years ago where AKs were cheaper to build than an AR. I think that all I needed to build the 80% AR was a drill press, dremel, barrel wrench, a roll pin punch and a few other tools just laying around.

The first responder had the best advice: Read every AK forum on building and the surplus rifle forum post. Then do some basic cost analysis. You might be surprised that to build an AR is less expensive. Also be aware of the 922c part compliance issue with a surplus build. You'll still be putting out dollars for more parts to make the rifle legal.

I do not know any commercial builder "up north". There is a fellow in San Marcos who quoted in the $300 to $400 range for a build.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Remember the model car and/or airplane kits when we were kids? The AR is a level 1 "snap-tite" kit. No glue or paint required. The AK? Level 3.

Nodak Spud. They are not easy to build. The key to the whole process is proper heat treat of the receiver.

Didn't have a problem with mine. Built it in a buddy's garage. Romanian "G" kit build, NDS-3 receiver. Called head shots on LaRue target at 250 yards all day long a couple years ago.

Thegomezclan

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    Kerrville Tx
    I have a lead on a gunsmith here in Lubbock that will build AKs and was wondering what to expect on a price to build one for me. I learned about yesterday afternoon after he closed shop for the day.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom