• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wbstx11

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2015
    I know this should be of interest to all, the price of primes and powder can vary quite a lot, and because of the hazmat fees it's impractical for one to buy on line. So, (especially in major cities) where have you found the best deal on powder and primers and what was a recent price?
    Texas SOT

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I was very impressed with 10 Ring Precision in Houston. That is a nice reloading shop and they have good prices and selection. It is one of the best reloading stores I have been in.

I do not remember their prices exactly but do remember wishing I had more cash on me.

JT Sports in Coperas Cove is a good store too. Not huge on tools but they have a good powder selection and bullets. They are close to me so that always helps.

I will pay $30/1000 for primers and $30 a pound for powder and not cry if I need them. If I find them for less I may grab some to stock up but that hasn't been a necessity for a while.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    I was very impressed with 10 Ring Precision in Houston. That is a nice reloading shop and they have good prices and selection. It is one of the best reloading stores I have been in.

I do not remember their prices exactly but do remember wishing I had more cash on me.

JT Sports in Coperas Cove is a good store too. Not huge on tools but they have a good powder selection and bullets. They are close to me so that always helps.

I will pay $30/1000 for primers and $30 a pound for powder and not cry if I need them. If I find them for less I may grab some to stock up but that hasn't been a necessity for a while.
    I'm right down the road from them. Great selection and friendly staff.

Pricing isn't always the best, but if you need it and they have it, it does beat waiting on the delivery truck.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

LFHenderson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    10ring also has a stock notice you can sign up for to get an email of what powders they have on hand.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

jpatm2

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    Bexar Community Shooting Range has the biggest powder selection of any San Antonio shop that I have seen. They have a wall of 8 pound jugs and a wall of 1 pound jugs.

JayeMechanico

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    Buda, TX
    I'm fortunate to live only about 15 miles from Cabelas in Buda. They have a thorough selection of powders and supplies, and the in store prices differ from the online advertised prices in some instances. i picked up some hornady 178gr and 208gr AMax bullets each for $32 100ct, and 1lb of RL-17 $28, 1lb of IMR 4350 for $28. Lots of in-store markdowns, and I believe they will match online store prices as long as they are not clearance prices. For the convenience and the cost, I'll stick to cabelas for now.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Hazmat costs are a killer for me when it comes to powder and primers.

I've had good luck at small mom&pop stores and occasionally at Cabela's.

Pistol powders and a few rifle powders are still hard to find.

The good thing about reloading is that there are lots of powders that can get the job done, even if they are not your favourite powder.

I prefer Unique, but have substituted "X"

I prefer AA2230, but have substituted "XX"

I prefer Bourbon over Scotch!

Be well.

trigger643

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2014
    Kingwood
    Another vote for 10 ring. Their pricing is competitive, if not always the cheapest, but I'll pay extra to support this local business and occasionally tap into their expertise.

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    I buy my primers from Academy, and my powder from the Rod and Gun Club (R&G).
    Sometimes the satellite stores has powder, but I know they bought it from the R&G only to sell it at a higher price.

Last edited:

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Dallas Market Hall show has had primers for $20-$25 cash and carry
    I dint know any other way to buy them cheaper

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Midway USA sent me an Email this morning offering free HazMat shipping for a limited time on CCI primers. That saves $28! Gotta hurry!

Flash

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Midway USA sent me an Email this morning offering free HazMat shipping for a limited time on CCI primers. That saves $28! Gotta hurry!

Flash

That's a pretty sweet deal. Knowing Midway, they are already sold out, and shipping was twice what everyone else charges to begin with :)

HandgunHTR

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    If 10-Ring doesn't have what you are looking for, you can try Lohman Arms off of West Little York (Houston). The storefront isn't much, but the folks in the building are friendly and helpful. Their prices are competitive with 10-ring. As an added bonus, they have a gunsmith on site and a shop dog if you want someone to keep you company while you wait to get checked out.

Top Bottom