• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crash83

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2017
    Spring, TX
    Live up here in Spring and looking for somewhere to take the course.
    So far i've seen Spring Guns & Ammo and Carter Country both offer the course.
    But Spring guns & Ammo want 90.00 bucks...does this seem like a good price?
    Or should i keep looking?
    Want to do it sometime this week.
    Texas SOT

crash83

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2017
    Spring, TX
    Ok..just wanted to check.
    A buddy of mine swears I should only pay 40 bucks. But the 90 included lunch and range fees.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Ok..just wanted to check.
    A buddy of mine swears I should only pay 40 bucks. But the 90 included lunch and range fees.
    I had to furnish my own lunch and ammo. Range fee was included though. If you just wanted to punch the ticket, a $40 class might do. If you actually want to learn something, I don't think you'd get much for $40.

crash83

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2017
    Spring, TX
    I had to furnish my own lunch and ammo. Range fee was included though. If you just wanted to punch the ticket, a $40 class might do. If you actually want to learn something, I don't think you'd get much for $40.

It's not about punching the ticket..
    I can do that in South Houston cheap and dirty...just wanted to make sure it was on the up and up.
    I want to learn how to correctly carry
    And absorb all the info I can.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    I can do that in South Houston cheap and dirty...just wanted to make sure it was on the up and up.
    I want to learn how to correctly carry
    And absorb all the info I can.

Then study ahead of the class...

https://www.dps.texas.gov/InternetForms/Forms/LTC-16.pdf

And the class--which must be between 4-6 hours--will address...

(1) the laws that relate to weapons and to the use of deadly force;
    (2) handgun use and safety, including use of restraint holsters and methods to ensure the secure carrying of openly carried handguns;
    (3) nonviolent dispute resolution; and
    (4) proper storage practices for handguns with an emphasis on storage practices that eliminate the possibility of accidental injury to a child.

(Source: TxGC §411.188. HANDGUN PROFICIENCY REQUIREMENT)

Also note that the requirement to qualify with a minimum .32 caliber was removed this year, so you can use any caliber (such as a .22LR) if you so desire. Also, it doesn't make any difference if you use a revolver or a semi-automatic handgun as it once did.

The shooting test requires 50 rounds of ammunition, and shooting is at three distances:
    • 3 yards – 20 rounds fired
    • 7 yards – 20 rounds fired
    • 15 yards – 10 rounds fired
    The majority of students pass the proficiency test when they have completed shooting at 3 and 7 yards. However, all 50 rounds must be shot.

The Texas LTC shooting test passing score is 175 points out of 250 points or a score of 70%. Here is the grading:
    • 5 points – shots fired in the X, 10, 9, & 8 rings
    • 4 points – shots fired in the 7 ring
    • 3 points – shots fired outside the 7 ring but on the silhouette
    • 0 points – shots fired outside the silhouette or off the target paper
    • Shots that hit just outside the ring but break the line count as the higher score
    The state allows for three chances to pass the shooting test. The vast majority of people--even those who have barely shot before (or even never)--pass during their first attempt. It's pretty easy.

Good luck, and have fun!

Cheers! M2

theneko

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2015
    I took it at Carters Country on Cypresswood a while back. Can’t recall the cost but the class was ok. Honestly the instructor wasn’t that great but I am experienced and have had permits before. I mostly wanted to get it over with and it was efficient. Don’t know if the same guy is doing it but he mostly went off the DPS curriculum and covered what needed to be covered. I would say 6/10 but I don’t have any other place in TX to compare to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NewToTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2015
    Houston, TX
    I just took mine at Boyert on Westheimer this past Saturday. I snagged their December special of $50 for the class, regular price is $85.

I highly recommend them. The instructor was hilarious and that is needed with 4 hours of dry/serious info.

DwnRange

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2015
    I can do that in South Houston cheap and dirty...just wanted to make sure it was on the up and up. I want to learn how to correctly carry and absorb all the info I can.

ain't gonna happen in 4-6 hours..........

My CHL was obtained in 1996 by becoming a CHL Instructor at the DPS in Austin, where as a NRA Instructor already, I qualified for the 3 day class (non NRA Instructors had to go for 5 days - and there were actually 3 NRA Instructors at that time that "graduated" to the 5 day class via errors/mishaps on the firing range during their 3rd and what was their final day of classes - 2 guys shot after the DPS rotating targets had turned and 1 woman, had a pistol problem and swept the firing line w/ her semi-auto sending a group of us diving to the ground).

One entire day, (8 hours) of my 3 days of instruction was devoted solely to "dispute-resolution" and I still have my copy of "The Games People Play" by Dr. Eric Berne on which this part of the CHL Instructor's class was taught.

As to the shooting portion of the test - I can teach a blind person to pass it and have done so several times myself "blindfolded" just to prove it can be done while instructing others back when it required 2 days due to the 10-15 hours of instruction required back then in order to complete the CHL process.

billviverette

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2015
    Check with Carter Country (Treaschwig), that's where I got mine the first time. I did take issue with one "when to shoot" scenario, but each to their own.

I renewed with an ex-LEO up in Magnolia. Had a nice Shelby Cobra. He cited the $50k bullet adage. I agree, but shoot if I must. I can't find his name or I'd give it to you. If you are interested, I can try to run him down.

Top Bottom