Best place to take TCL ?

Discussion in 'Houston' started by crash83, Dec 17, 2017.

1. theneko

theneko New Member

Nov 3, 2015
    I took it at Carters Country on Cypresswood a while back. Can’t recall the cost but the class was ok. Honestly the instructor wasn’t that great but I am experienced and have had permits before. I mostly wanted to get it over with and it was efficient. Don’t know if the same guy is doing it but he mostly went off the DPS curriculum and covered what needed to be covered. I would say 6/10 but I don’t have any other place in TX to compare to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. NewToTX

NewToTX Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Houston, TX
    I just took mine at Boyert on Westheimer this past Saturday. I snagged their December special of $50 for the class, regular price is $85.

I highly recommend them. The instructor was hilarious and that is needed with 4 hours of dry/serious info.

3. DwnRange

DwnRange Member

Jan 5, 2015
    ain't gonna happen in 4-6 hours..........

My CHL was obtained in 1996 by becoming a CHL Instructor at the DPS in Austin, where as a NRA Instructor already, I qualified for the 3 day class (non NRA Instructors had to go for 5 days - and there were actually 3 NRA Instructors at that time that "graduated" to the 5 day class via errors/mishaps on the firing range during their 3rd and what was their final day of classes - 2 guys shot after the DPS rotating targets had turned and 1 woman, had a pistol problem and swept the firing line w/ her semi-auto sending a group of us diving to the ground).

One entire day, (8 hours) of my 3 days of instruction was devoted solely to "dispute-resolution" and I still have my copy of "The Games People Play" by Dr. Eric Berne on which this part of the CHL Instructor's class was taught.

As to the shooting portion of the test - I can teach a blind person to pass it and have done so several times myself "blindfolded" just to prove it can be done while instructing others back when it required 2 days due to the 10-15 hours of instruction required back then in order to complete the CHL process.

crash83 likes this.