• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • long_tall_texan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2021
    DFW
    So... I have built a few custom AR15s. I've put a few rounds through them. They run great. But, really, I just enjoy building them so much. It's soothing and fun for me. I don't need a lot of them just sitting around, so I'd like to sell a couple, to just turn around and build a couple of new/different ones.

Was planning to just sell them consignment at Frisco Gun Club, because they do have consignment. T sales there. However, I went in today to leave one with them, and they would not take it, because they have a boat load of Sons of Liberty ARs on order that they will have for sale next week. Not happy, but I get it. They are a gun dealer first and foremost, and they'd rather sell their guns than mine.

So, I'm looking for suggestions on where to sell off a couple AR15s. Would prefer local, face to face sales rather than shipping one...

Obviously, l'll post them here, once my newb status is behind me.
    Military Camp

long_tall_texan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2021
    DFW
    Yeah. I'm not planning to build and sell very many of them. Maybe a couple per year, if even that. To be on the safe side, already considering the FFL route, because I love my dogs, and my wife would shoot ME if they came for me and hurt the puppers

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    The reason why gun shops won't touch your home built ARs is because they don't know you or your abilities. Factory rifles come with warranties by the manufacturer. They trust the manufactures. Assembled rifles from various parts never sell well. They never will be as sought after as factory rifles. They were built to the way you want them, and the probability of you using the exact parts that someone else wants is low. When you do list them keep in mind that lots of people can assemble a rifle. They probably also trust their own abilities more than yours. Those who buy factory rifles will trust a reputable manufacture over the Frankenstein rifle built in a garage. As long as your expectations of selling are low, you won't be disappointed.

long_tall_texan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2021
    DFW
    Oh I fully understand that. I was just planning to sell them consignment, since I know, from being a member at Frisco Gun Club for a while now, that they do consignment sales all the time. They just did not want to take mine this week, since they are getting a large shipment of ARs from Sons of Liberty Gun Works next week. They would rather sell new guns that they likely make more profit on than any consignment sales. And I get that too. Just looking at alternatives locally. May go check out the gun show in Allen tomorrow. Might find some toys to trade for!

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I have built a half-dozen AR's, never with the intention of selling them, because as noted above who wants to buy from an unknown source with unknown skills and zero product liability insurance? Each of mine were built for a specific application/use, and it's just fun to know that I can.

long_tall_texan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2021
    DFW
    I have built a half-dozen AR's, never with the intention of selling them, because as noted above who wants to buy from an unknown source with unknown skills and zero product liability insurance? Each of mine were built for a specific application/use, and it's just fun to know that I can.
    Agree completely. I like knowing how to build things I own, so I know how to repair, upgrade, service properly, etc. I do the same on pretty much anything I can do myself. 30+ years since I bought my first car, and I have only had someone else change my oil 2 times. I do it myself, because I enjoy it. I got a 3D printer for home use. I bought the kit version that you assemble yourself, instead of the pre-assembled version of the exact same printer just because I like to build.

Royalecheese

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2017
    Maybe you could get involved with some of the local clubs? Dallas Arms Collectors or Texas State Rifle Association, gun clubs at a range near you... etc.

From there you can network with others face to face, like you said, instead of on an anonymous message board or consignment. People can then see you, your skill and workmanship, and you can build trust with them.

No offense, but the last thing I would ever buy from anyone is a cobbled together garage-made gun unless I knew the person, and I don't like the idea of explaining to my wife why I have a bolt carrier sticking out of my eye because the gun I just bought exploded.

Anyway, check out some of the local associations and best of luck to you.

long_tall_texan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2021
    DFW
    Thanks . I believe the show in Allen tomorrow is hosted by Dallas Arms. I'll check them out.

And I agree regarding someone else building one for me. UT I have encountered a lot of people that are on the opposite end of mechanical confidence that would be happy to buy one built by someone else, at half the price of a (insert brand name here) when they will likely just take it to the range once per year, and then let it sit in the safe the other 364 days.

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    Federal law does not require identifying marks for a 'home made gun' as long as it remains in the possession of the original maker.

I thought the firearm needed identifying marks (serial number) if is to be legally transferred?

(asking for a friend)

Royalecheese

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2017
    Thanks . I believe the show in Allen tomorrow is hosted by Dallas Arms. I'll check them out.

And I agree regarding someone else building one for me. UT I have encountered a lot of people that are on the opposite end of mechanical confidence that would be happy to buy one built by someone else, at half the price of a (insert brand name here) when they will likely just take it to the range once per year, and then let it sit in the safe the other 364 days.
    I just sent you a private message. There's a bit of info I wanted to share about the show.

Last edited:

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Federal law does not require identifying marks for a 'home made gun' as long as it remains in the possession of the original maker.

I thought the firearm needed identifying marks (serial number) if is to be legally transferred?

(asking for a friend)

Thinking sure gets a lot of folks in trouble around here!!!:spank:

Top Bottom