• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    For those of you new to guns, the 10/22 is probably the best selling and most popular rim-fire rifle since its creation circa 1964. If you have been shooting guns for even five minutes(and don't already own one) you should immediately add one to your collection. Anyways, the question posed here, what is your favorite target bullet for the 10/22 ? Please include details like,your barrel size/type, group sizes, price point, consistency(no ftf's or fte's), cleanliness,etc. Personally, I think winchester's Dynapoint is the Bee's Knee's, grouping around 1.25" at 50 yds. in my standard blue barrel with slipover flash hider. However, a close second is the Eley sport(purple box cheap stuff $2.50-3.00/50) which duplicates the performance and reliability of dynapoint w/o the winchester price tag. If I had deep pockets, I suppose I would buy some Eley Tenex or RWS ammo but my favorites keep a little cash in my pockets and bullets on my shelves. Anyhow, thank ya'll for your time and I hope to get some good posts ! - Texmex
    Hurley's Gold

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Have not had a 10/22 in at leasy 9yrs but I had great luck with the bulk Federal can't remember specifics on groupsize though sorry.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    I get 1/2-3/4 inch groups with PMC Zappers or Aguilar Hyper Velocity in
    my 10/22 with bull barrel, that is at 50 yards have not tested out to 100 yards but plan on doing so.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    My 10/22 eats anything, is scoped and hits what I aim at. I agree, Federal does best but CCI is super, too. Off subject but my Ceiner conversion in the M4 Bushie dislikes Remington, FTFs about ever 5 rounds, never FTF with Federal or CCI....Whatzamatta with Remington? Don't they put in sufficient primer compound in the manufacturing process?

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I have a Ruger Single Six and been getting a few failure to fires with alot of them lately Federal, Remington, and Winchester.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    OK...my new favorite...the Eley Sport(purple box UK primed/mexican ammo). After 3 different sessions(over 100 rds ea.), only 2 fte hiccups and no misfires. Groups much better than almost anything I have ever put through it. For a stock gun(18.5" blued) w/a cheap-ass scope, this bullet does the trick. My next test for the Eley sport... to see how it will group in my new 10/22(16" factory blued bbl) with a hogue over-molded stock !

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    I have had some under 1 inch groups with my heavy barrel 10/22 using PMC Zappers at 100 yards however can't find that round now and I understand it was discontinued.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I had an old German K98 look alike single shot 22 that was a training rifle for the German army and there K98's. I could hit a spent 12 ga shell at 100 with that odd little rifle every time I tried. I always shot what ever was cheap ammo wise, mostly Remington bulk box. I miss that little riffle. My dad took it back for some reason.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    -Hey Burt, what barrel lengths are your guns ? In my 18.5" stocker the mini mags(CCI) outshoot the velocitors or stingers. All CCI premium rounds do well in my guns as far as reliability.
    -Old guy, I have seen those zappers at the guns show(Saxet) for 4-5 bucks per box. I was curious but have never shot any PMC ammo in 22lr.
    As far as the bulk packs, I only buy winchester dynapoint, the fed hp's and win xpert always give me a least 2 ftes or ftfs per 100. I guess no matter what you put through 'em, at least we can all still afford to shoot them.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    quote(-Old guy, I have seen those zappers at the guns show(Saxet) for 4-5 bucks per box. I was curious but have never shot any PMC ammo in 22lr)quote

Thanks for the tip will check them out at next show,I've been testing different brands the PMC works great in my 10/22, I'm using a Mueller APV 4.5-14x40, excellent glass for the price and I can see bullet holes at 100 yards a big plus for old eyes.

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    -Hey Burt, what barrel lengths are your guns ? In my 18.5" stocker the mini mags(CCI) outshoot the velocitors or stingers. All CCI premium rounds do well in my guns as far as reliability.
    -Old guy, I have seen those zappers at the guns show(Saxet) for 4-5 bucks per box. I was curious but have never shot any PMC ammo in 22lr.
    As far as the bulk packs, I only buy winchester dynapoint, the fed hp's and win xpert always give me a least 2 ftes or ftfs per 100. I guess no matter what you put through 'em, at least we can all still afford to shoot them.

Both of my 10/22's are stock. My first one from when I was 15 is now practically a smoothbore from all of the bricks of ammo I put through it in my high school years before the Army.

The accuracy was better for the Mini Mags in my Rugers (open sights) but I would bet the Stingers had higher velocity. I used to deploy my 10/22 for squirrel extermination in those days so accuracy was way more important than velocity.

CCI Mini-mags all the way for me.:patriot:

Edited to add;
    The old white box Winchester Wildcats (cheapest at the time) used to misfire a few times every 50 rd box. I think my firing pin used to hit somewhat light and they had probs with the Win. ammo.

Top Bottom