• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I started off my journey in .223 reloading with IMR 4198 which many bench rest shooters seem to swear by. However, my experience with it has been less than pleasant. I worked up several loads with 55-60gr bullets over 19.0-21.5gr of powder. Almost no batch, crimped or not, seated at 2.200" or 2.250" ever properly cycled my AR. Even bullets with cannelures loaded over max(most manuals said 20.5max) and well crimped still had issues. Accuracy was always good to excellent but reliability has been poor. In my mini-14 they all fed and fired flawlessly. I have recently acquired some Varget which I expect much better results from. However, I have heard of people having great success with H335, Win748, AA2230 and 2520(for larger bullets) as well as Varget. We'll see how results come in, but if you have an opinion, let it be heard.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    I have used Varget with very good accuracy results (I forget the exact load).
    W-748 is my preferred powder with BLC-2 as a back up choice. They are very close on the burn rate scale and are fine grained ball powders. They meter very well through the Dillon.
    IMR powders tend to burn cleaner but hotter. The longer granules make metering a little less consistant.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    I started with IMR 4895 cause that's what I had on hand. I have since tried RL 15, Varget and H335. Of those, I've had the best success with H335. With my RRA Nat'l match service rifle at 100 yards I had a 3/4" group using H335 and Nosler 80 grain HPBTs. One of my reloading manuals states that H335 is "the" powder to use in the AR and I have to agree.

I'm using IMR 4895 strictly for my .308 M1 Garand. What I have left of the Varget is a back-up for the H335 in case I run short.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I just got in an 8 pounder of 2230 but I have to say, the varget was very clean and grouped well. I think my next purchase will be some h335, so I can do some side by side comparisons.

captain-03

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    You may have to see what "Your" weapon likes. Different twists in barrels will make a difference in the weight of the boolit; thus, may influence your powder choice.

I have 4 ARs and a couple of them LOVE the Varget - 24gr under a 55FMJBT (both Colts) - the Bushmaster likes the H4895 and want shoot the Varget worth a da%%.

Try a few different powders and loads ... I believe all the powders listed above will produce some "good" loads - but again, see what your rifle likes.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    I asked the same question of an old timer and he told me he used to shoot matches and he used Winchester 748 ball powder, (25.5 grains) in his .223/5.56 rounds behind 62-63 gr. bullets with excellent results. I

have now loaded and fired hundreds of rounds of my reloads and they seem very accurate and I am satisfied...

sharky47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    4198 is not the right powder.

I like H-322, works flawlessly, meters flawlessly, most places carry it, etc.....

ForneyRider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    Forney, TX
    AA 2230 works pretty well with common bullet sizes, is easy to measure and is cheap.

Varget and R15 are nice with the heavier bullets, 55gr and up.

I picked up some Benchmark for 53gr Sierra match bullets. Hoping it does better than the R10x I was using.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    AA2230 vs Varget

So, I've had good luck with Varget although compressed loads kinda scare me. Even with only 25.5gr and a 55gr bullet, they seemed a little crunchy when being seated. At 26gr they were starting to compress so much that you could feel the powder resisting. Now AA2230 on the other hand, leaves plenty of breathing room beneath the bullets and pours/meters like sand. I definitely like the ball powders ease of use but wonder how much the empty space in the case will effect accuracy.

marshs313

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    central texas
    Ive been working on a couple of loads the first being a 53gr barnes tsx and the other barnes 36gr varmint grenade the 53 gr my max load is 26.5 gr. of w748 and the other 36gr my max ive loaded to 28 gr of w748 haven't shot them yet but am curious to see where my rifles sweet spot is. started both at about 24 gr for the 53gr and 25gr for the 36gr and moved in half grain increments. Ive heard good things about w748 and varget for 223 and ramshot tac for the 36gr.

As far as the bullets not cycling what reloading dies are you using?

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I had a chance for a field test recently. The loads with Varget grouped a little better and had a bit less recoil than the same loads(brass,bullets,primer,etc.) with AA2230. Now I do believe the AA2230 loads were moving much faster, but both loads cycled my AR flawlessly. Looks like I found some powders that work.

iratollah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2008
    Varget has worked very well for my daughter's long range match loads and we load them rather hot. H4895 worked well for the medium range (<500yd) loads.

I bought a lot of Varget last year and it's not been easy to find. Primers are a story in and of themselves.

Major Woody

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    I'm getting good groups with Varget, BLC[2], and RE-15. Try 26 gr of Varget behind 69gr Sie or 25 g of BLC[2] /69 gr. My 1:9 Bushy Carbine is getting bulleyes at 100 yds.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I use IMR 4895 in all of my rifles including the AR-15. The IMR 4895 is a powder that is shaped like short, little tubes.

Using Sierra 69 grain Match Kings, it has worked great at 200 and 600 yards. In fact, my best AR-15 scores were fired using IMR 4895 as a propellant at 200 and 600 yards.

A word of caution here......... I set up my Dillon progressive for .223 using IMR 4895. The neck of the powder funnel is very small on the .223. The powder tended to partially bridge or clog in the powder funnel which shorted one cartridge and over charged the next round.

There are ways to reduce the chance of bridging. Disassembling, degreasing and rubbing down the powder charge parts with Bounce dryer sheets helps a lot.

Bypassing the powder charge stage and doing that outside of the press also works but that negates the reason for using progressive loaders.

Using single stage presses, I charge all of my cases and place each batch of 50 in a loading block. I use a bright light and visually check each case for improper charges. I check every case every time.

Unfortunately, that is not as easy on a multi stage progressive loader and although there are ways to do it, I am not OK with any chance of overcharge. Consequently, I can not recommend loading .223 on a progressive loader using IMR 4895.

Flash

c_m_shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Paradise
    The only powder I have used in my AR is Reloader 15. It works great with 55 grain Remington bulk bullets, so I never tried anything else.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    reloading

I am new to this forum but not to the question of reloading for the AR. I prefer to use Winchester 748 powder. I use 25.6 grains of the 748 pushing a Sierra Matchking 52 gr. BTHP. I use whatever primers I can find, but I prefer the benchrest designated primers when i can get them. I set my overall cartridge length to 2.20". I have several Rock River Arms ARs and each one will produce sum 1" patterns at 100 yards. That is if I do my part. The Winchester powder is in the midrange for burn temperatures and I find I can go three or four hundred rounds before I need to clean the rifles. As with anything else in life you have to find something that works for you, but this combination works well for me. Sierra does not recommend the Matchking bullet for hunting. Since I mostly shoot little hole in paper, this is no concern for me.

NekisoriaGera

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Ecuador
    Thank you everybody

I would just like to take time too Thank all the people for doing what you do and make this community great im a long time reader and first time poster so i just wanted to say thanks.

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    I have had really good luck with H335 for 55 gr FMJBT in the AR. I have a buddy that swears by Reloader 15 and another that swears by W748. All these powders meter well and the H355 burns clean. Gonna try Ramshot TAC; another guy thinks it is the best thing since sliced bread.

Top Bottom