• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rrtex1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Round Rock
    I shoot at Eagle Peak most of the time even though they are strict and only allow bench shooting.
    I am off work Friday and was thinking of driving someplace new to shoot my AR and 45ACP. Any suggestions?
    Sorry in advance if this is in the wrong area.
    Capitol Armory ad

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I had a pretty bad experience at Eagle Peak when I took a CHL class and we ended up going there for the shooting proficiency test. The instructors were both a good bunch of guys, one was ex-military and has his own private security company (obviously a very educated and experienced individual) and the other is a Bastrop county active LEO and on their SWAT team. Before we went out on the range and got started, both of them asked the manager what their policy was on rapid fire since the CHL class is of course self defense based and they wanted to give us a little demonstration afterwards. The manager said they typically don't allow rapid fire, though since they were instructors they would let it go. Well, long story short after the proficiency test they showed us several things regarding retreating from an attacker at angles, etc and rapid fired a few times in a controlled manner with tight groups. The manager came over and started complaining to the instructors and told them "We don't do that around here!" even though he specifically said beforehand it would be alright that time. Once we went to the main building to pay our fees and leave, the manager/owner (I'm not sure if he was the actual owner or not) had obviously been steaming a bit and wanted to have a talk with our instructors. He decided he wanted to ban the instructors from the range permanently and ordered them to hand over their range cards. One did, the other instructor wasn't sure where he put his and told the manager he wasn't sure where his was but, that he understood and that we would leave. Well the manager got even more steamed for some reason and insisted the instructor give him the range card. The whole time the manager was standing in his way preventing him and several of us from the class from walking out the door. Keep in mind, this whole time everyone from our group including the instructors acted in a very professional manner, had already paid our fees, and just wanted to leave. Well, the manager did something pretty stupid and after ordering the instructor to give up the range card, he actually thrust his hand out so as to attempt to reach in the instructor's pocket to try and get the card himself?! Sorry but, that is a big no no invading someone's personal space like that. Needless to say the instructor was a bit shocked, took a step back and basically asked him what he was doing and told him that's not very nice to do. Long story long, thankfully nothing happened and we ended up just walking out. I will never go back to Eagle Peak PERIOD! I do not know the name of the manager responsible for this incident, however he was incredibly unprofessional (especially considering the backgrounds and professionalism of the 2 instructors). I can understand ranges not wanting people to rapid fire as usually the average individual will do so in an unsafe and uncontrolled manner. However these are two professionals we're talking about, and on top of that they had approval from the same manager beforehand. He could have simply said "Look, I know what I said before but, we would prefer that you don't do that in the future".

Rrtex1, you might consider going to Red's Pflugerville location as that should be really close to you: http://www.redsguns.com/ Other than that, the next closest range I can think of is Red's south 290 West location.

rrtex1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Round Rock
    I go to Eagle because it is close and my kids like it. Red's is good but for two reasons I do not go there. I had the luxury of being laser tagged by someone there showing off their new toy. I gave the range employee a look and he did nothing. I am not a big fan of looking down the wrong end of a barrel. And whenever I go to indoor ranges I get a bad headache afterwards. Is there anywhere else? Waco? San Antonio? East? West?

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Oh wow, sorry to hear that Rrtex1! The south Red's location isn't like that at all, and they are a good group of guys to deal with plus they don't put up with that kind of crap.

Here's the link to Bullet Hole: http://www.bullethole.com/

There is also Dietz Gun Range in New Braunfels: Link

Here's a good link to plenty of other ranges in Texas: Link

SteveW

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Austin TX
    I have the same negative experience at Eagle Peak, but over FMJ 7.62x51 ammo. I knew in advance that they didn't allow FMJ mil surp, so took some Silver Bear softpoint for my FAL. When he saw the FAL the guy running the place nearly strip searched me and then just 'hovered' all the time, glaring at me. I am done with them.

Now Crazy Richards (AKA Hill Country Rifle Range) has closed I joined the Austin Rifle Club. Not as, err, exciting as a visit to Richards, but sanity reigns.

Steve.

ctxpta

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Lockhart, Texas
    Lone Star Gun Range

Our longest rifle range currently is 100 yards with plans to expand to 250 at some point. We do allow FMJ and rapid fire with a semi. Just so you know I have most of Richards shooting benches. We can only hope that there was nothing planted in the benches by the feds before I got them.

SteveW

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Austin TX
    > Just so you know I have most of Richards shooting benches

Have you noticed those black helicoptors making looong slow circles over your range ? :D

Glad to hear that some of all that stuff was reused. Are you open at the weekend ? I should come down and join..

Glad to have you here.

Steve.

rrtex1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Round Rock
    Lonestar in Lockhart

I always thought those lit up for the aliens to see when landing at Richards????

I was at lonestar about two weeks ago, had a great time. Definately worth the trip. Matt was great.:D

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I have been shooting at LSGR for a while now, since before he was open to the public, and I have to say, it is the best range I have been to in the sense that you are allowed to TRAIN, as opposed to shooting from a station and firing one round every 2 seconds.

I did like Richards place on Hamilton Pool Road, but it is gone and with it the spaceships.

TexasHK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    Seguin, Tx
    For anyone wanting to shoot outside of San Antonio, there is a nice place - really cool hang out to shoot - up in Bandera off of HWY 173 on FM 1077. It is a gun club also, pistol/rifle ranges although pretty much the 100 yard variety.
    Two Skeet Ranges Also.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Texas HK,I am going to Ingram this weekend.Do you have a phone number?Or do you know if they will allow me to bring my class III stuff.I inherited my Grandfathers stengun and mac 10 from his estate and want to try them out.

ETH77

ZAP Rules
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2008
    Houston
    In Houston try Shiloh - the sponsor of this thread

Of course I'm biased, they're only 4 miles away, but they are friendly knowledgeable and have a choice of distances. They've also got good prices on their merchandise.

Gratuitous plug for Jeff and the guys at Shiloh

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Bias aside, I was pretty pleased with Lone Star Gun Range in Lockhart. If you are in Houston, I also suggest Shiloh. Both have a superior service to other ranges I've been to. I know Shiloh sponsors the forum, but I had nothing but positives to say about them when I went there before they became a sponsor. The staff is fun, the range isn't overly loud or crowded, and they allow you to do rapid fire.

If I could get Ngoc to bring a drink tray around, maybe make a good brisket sandwich, then I'd probably never leave, haha.

JMATT199

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Magnolia,tx
    Hard to Beat

Its hard to beat the guys at Shooters Station in Conroe. They have the best range in the North Houston and Mongomery County area. More guns and ammo than all the rest.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Lakeway, Tx
    I must admit I'm surprised to hear these stories about eagles peak. I shoot there usually at least once a week. everything from ak's to ar's to skeet etc. I have never had anybody be rude, or anything of the sort. I usually go on the weekends. :confused:

The only times I have ever even seen the range officers get mad is when some bozo decided to start to walk down range when the range was hot, and another time when some asshat accidentally shot through the roof.

Most of the people who go there are real nice folk.

I'll keep on going there until I get kicked out I guess.

Top Bottom