• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vvllbs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    I got a good deal on a clean used Tasco (Japan) World Class Scope. I want some suggestions on a rifle to fit it with. I thought about my AR15’s but I’ve got those ready for spring turkey season, I won’t put on rimfires because I want to try this scope at 200 and 300 yards, all of my Handi’s are pistol caliber so where do I turn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gun Zone Deals

dw257

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2016
    Gunwerks and Surgeon make some nice rifles that would be good at 200 and 300 yards.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Gunwerks and Surgeon make some nice rifles that would be good at 200 and 300 yards.
    So does Winchester, Remington, Savage, etc.....
    Fixed 24x. ?
    500 yards or more.

Shit. I never tried to fit a gun to a scope before.
    Usually try to fit a scope to a gun.

22.250 bolt action. That'll probably outshoot the glass.

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Aren't you kind of going about this backwards? Starting with the glass, then picking the rifle to put it on, then picking the distance to shoot... not a normal way to go about things to say the least.

That being said, I have 24X scopes on my Anschutz 1710 (22LR), Air Arms TX200 (air rifle), and Anschutz 2002 SuperAir (also an air rifle) and they work great for me.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I use 24x at 100 yards and 1000.

A fixed 24 is going to be a bench gun, or varmints maybe (prairie dogs).

2-300 yards is a lot of options.

What caliber are you interested in because it will probably work.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Ruling out rimfires is a mistake. 200 and even 100 yards with a .22 LR is very educational. You'll learn to pay attention to wind. Heck, there are active communities of pistol shooters who shoot out to 200 yards.

How about setting up your favorite metal chassis for a short Rem 700-pattern action. Put the scope in a good QD mount. Then have two barrelled actions, one in the CF cartridge of your choice (I'd probably opt for 6.5CM) and the other in .22LR.

See: https://www.texasguntalk.com/thread...to-and-video-thread.84507/page-6#post-1683525

PS - I know far less about rifles than many people here, so take the above with a pinch of salt, OK?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Aren't you kind of going about this backwards?
    Sometimes that's the best way to do things. Remember how many AR uppers people made back when 7.62x25 ammo was dirt cheap? Building a rifle for otherwise useless ammo just because the ammo is cheap is working backwards but, for a couple of years when other ammo was missing or high-priced, those were the guys out shooting and having fun.

Of course, those uppers are now worth essentially nothing but if someone was smart enough to buy a pallet of ammo at the time, they'll be on the range for a long time to come.

I once placed an order with a New Jersey High Power rifle supplier for ammo. They had gotten Wolf to do a production run that used Hornady 75-grain match bullets. At the time, the delivered price was just a touch under $0.09/round, iirc. The ammo was running sub-MOA in any decent gun. I didn't have a .223 but I was going to build a pistol just to shoot the stuff because it would have been an easy way for me to return to match shooting.

Unfortunately, the ammo was all recalled before I could get any but the point remains - sometimes you get a good buy on one part of a system and you just work from there to fill in the blanks.

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I want some suggestions on a rifle to fit it with.
    When I think 24X, I think of benchrest. If you're interested in shooting off a bench, only, it's always a mistake to fail to check The List.

If some other type of rifle floats your boat, look around the site; they also have lists for varmint, tactical, smallbore, and high-power rifles. The descriptions are accurate and the pictures are uniformly good. Sometimes you'll even find rifles that are used slightly past their competitive lifespan priced so low you'd pay that amount for just the action. That site is always worth a perusal.

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Thanks for that link Ben. I had not heard of that website before and it looks like they have quite a bit of stuff for sale.

jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2008
    Jacksonville, Tx, W.Monroe, La
    Aren't you kind of going about this backwards? Starting with the glass, then picking the rifle to put it on, then picking the distance to shoot... not a normal way to go about things to say the least.

That being said, I have 24X scopes on my Anschutz 1710 (22LR), Air Arms TX200 (air rifle), and Anschutz 2002 SuperAir (also an air rifle) and they work great for me.

Mid summer last year I found a Leupold vx3i 3.5-10 on sale and bought it, in anticipation of the release of the CZ 527 American in 6.5 Grendel. I got the scope and the rifle almost 5 months later.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Mid summer last year I found a Leupold vx3i 3.5-10 on sale and bought it, in anticipation of the release of the CZ 527 American in 6.5 Grendel. I got the scope and the rifle almost 5 months later.

That still fits the "have a rifle in mind and pick a scope for it" process.

You just hadn't purchased the rifle yet.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    WTH happened to the post by "belus"?!

I got an email notification, and can see his post, but nothing is here.

Even if he changed his mind and deleted everything, there would still be something here from him?

Top Bottom