• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Good post Jeremy. I dispatch hundreds of hogs per year, and what you say is pretty much spot on with the exception of 7.62x39 ricocheting off a hogs skull. I have put enough of them down in traps to tell you that a .22LR will put down a 200 pounder fired from a MKII pistol with a head shot{usually right behind the ear or right between the eyes} and I have never had any other result but a dead hog.

What you most likely witnessed was a glancing shot{ a hogs head is shaped like a ramp and if you shoot head on, from the wrong angle, the bullet will crease the skull and ramp off.}

FMJ is certainly not the best thing to use on any wild animal but if you have good angle and good shot placement it should be ok. The down side is the wound in the body cavity will close almost immediately and you will have no blood trail{ this had led to many tales of the hog "shield" stopping high power bullets at close range} This is why I use a 150gr Core-Lokt in .308. Nice big exit wound that bleeds well.
    ARJ Defense ad

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks Hoji what you described is mostly what happened however i used the term Ricochet because we heard the famouse noise after it most likely deformed a little and went spinning off. You are also right about the placement of shots of the FMJ. Again though I have seen first hand people shoot pigs from 60-200 lbs with decent shot placement and the damn things run off. You are spot on about the wound channel and lack of blood.

What do you think about 125 nosler ballistic tips in .308?

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Also another thing that I forgot to address was a coyote gun! I feel the .223 round is good for coyotes .. good ballistics. However bullet selection is also very important for coyotes because you don't want to much damage to the pelts if that's your thing. Again a light ballistic tip i feel would be appropriate. you are going to be able to get the bullet into the body and have good expansion right off the bat. I would not use hot loads for this application though.

My friend has a Thompson center .223 that has a 1:10 twist Barrel. he shoots them with what i believe is 36 grain vmax? maybe its 42?

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Thanks Hoji what you described is mostly what happened however i used the term Ricochet because we heard the famouse noise after it most likely deformed a little and went spinning off. You are also right about the placement of shots of the FMJ. Again though I have seen first hand people shoot pigs from 60-200 lbs with decent shot placement and the damn things run off. You are spot on about the wound channel and lack of blood.

What do you think about 125 nosler ballistic tips in .308?

A little light{for my tastes} but perfectly adequate. Happy{and safe} hunting.

JoeinTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    The .223 is a great smaller all-purpose round. Will it knock a buck or boar out of its tracks at 100 yards? No. With good shooting and knowledge of the prey can it kill your target? Yes.

I take a .223 along with me for a number of jaunts since I know the gun and round and have a pretty good idea what it, and I, can do with it. I'm not always the best shot and it isn't the most powerful caliber around but it does a lot of good on a lot of occasions.

Top Bottom