• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vellcrow

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    I use a Mossberg 500/590 or Remington M870...can't go wrong with either.

18422M870.jpg

U235

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Pflugerville
    I went shotgun shopping this weekend in Houston. I didn't shoot any but I handled about 20 different shotguns at Collector's Firearms on Fondren Rd. They're a bit overpriced, but their selection is the best I've seen.

Anyways, after talking with Alan some time ago, I was leaning towards the 870, but after handling 15+ variants of 870 and about 5 Benelli's, I thought the Benelli's felt the best.

The collapsible Remingtons didn't feel good at all for me. They felt too long and just uncomfortable. I did like the Marine Magnum and a Police version; they felt nice and solid. I also liked the feel of one of the 870 tacticals (also really inexpensive compared to the police and marine); finally, the Wingmaster also felt nice. I need to do some reading to determine exactly what the difference is, but it feels mostly like material.

Anyways, all of the Benelli's I handled just felt natural. What's the 411 on Benellis? I particularly liked the Supernova with the pistol grip, whereas I didn't like any of the Remington pistol grips. I did really like the non-pistol grip Supernova as well.

U235

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Pflugerville
    Benelli makes a good shotgun.
    Cool, still on the fence. I guess part of the reason I didn't like the 870 so much was I tried so many different 870s and most didn't feel good (different stocks, lengths, etc.), but the ones that did were fine. There were only 3 Benellis and they all felt great.

Need to do some more research!

Thanks

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    Benelli GOOD

Benelli makes one hell of a fine shotgun. I am not all that familiar with their tactical offerings, but my dad has a Montifeltro 12ga that we have put over 15,000 rounds through on the sporting clays course. We both shoot different guns but always come back and pull out the Benelli when we just wanna have a good time and not worry with our competition guns. Long story short, I will never hesitate to buy a Benelli product.

U235

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Pflugerville
    Thanks for the positive notes. One hesitation I have, or more one thing I can't get past on the 870s is the amount of aftermarket goodies there are for it. You can do so much with an 870. I don't know how much I'd do to it, but I like to know I can.

There are tons of different barrel options, etc. I don't even know if you can get an external shell holder for the Supernova.

I'm glad to hear it's a sound firearm though.

WhiskeyRunner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Austin
    best shotgun for home defense.

The best shotgun for home defense is a noisy old Winchester Model 12.
    Racking a round is an unmistakable sound. If it is loud enough, pulling the trigger is not typically necessary.
    All scumbags know that sound like their drunken mother's gravelly voice. It is a sound that turns the highest and bravest perp into a rabbit.

Texas Patriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Spring
    I have a Mossberg 500 & a Win 1300 under my bed. The Mossberg is a smoother action, but the 1300 has a bigger magazine and has a fiber optic sight that glows well especially when I use the flashlight mounted underneath the barrel. Also have a side saddle shell holder on my Win 1300 for that extra Umph if I need it.

Then there's other stuff in the night stand, but this thread is about shotguns only.

Bad guys beware. :cool:

U235

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Pflugerville
    While on this subject because I do plan on getting a tactical shotgun soon, where do you keep your shotguns? I do not have kids nor do I EVER have kids in my house so with that in mind, what are your recommendations.

As it stands now, the nightstand has the HK and the Sig in it, although I hope to ultimately move the Sig to my girlfriend's nightstand (still working on that).

Our bed is on a sleigh, and the sleigh's headboard curves outward so there's plenty of room for it behind the headboard and still within arm's reach while sleeping. It'll also be relatively invisible to anyone in the room unless they're specifically looking behind the headboard which requires a relatively awkward position between a nightstand and a lounge chair. I like that it's within arm's reach and out of sight. Although guests rarely if ever go into our master bedroom, I don't want it to be painfully obvious where the heat is. That's the location I'm leaning towards now, what are your thoughts.

Texas Patriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Spring
    I actually keep mine under the bed. I keep the Win 1300 with an empty chamber, loaded magazine, safety off, with the bolt barely open so I can rack one into the chamber quickly. I also have a flashlight mounted under the barrel which I can switch on very quickly if necessary.

I also keep the Mossberg under the bed, but in a zippered case. It likewise has an empty chamber, loaded mag, safety off and bolt barely open.

By the way, both of mine are the 18" barrel variety.

Viper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Copperas Cove
    I keep a Police model Mossberg 500 under the bed and box of buckshot in the nightstand...it helps me sleep at night. Though the way I figure if you are using a pump action shotgun for home defense unless the intruder is deaf or stupid as soon as you load a round they are going to be bolting out the way they came in.

Texas Patriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Spring
    I keep a Police model Mossberg 500 under the bed and box of buckshot in the nightstand...it helps me sleep at night. Though the way I figure if you are using a pump action shotgun for home defense unless the intruder is deaf or stupid as soon as you load a round they are going to be bolting out the way they came in.

That action (running away) by the bad guy is okay with me. But if he chooses to stay and fight, it won't be good for him to do so. This is one of the reasons I use a shotgun for home defense. The noise of loading factor then the sudden devastation at the business end of a 12 ga with 00 buck factor. And lastly, I grew up with shotguns and am very comfortable with one in my hands.

TXSWFAN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    Dallas
    I think my Saiga 12 would be fine for home defense. 10 rounds of 00 in semi-auto mode. But my first go to gun is still the AR.

66akk7.gif

Top Bottom