Best snake blastin' gun

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by TexMex247, Jun 24, 2009.

1. TexMex247

TexMex247 Well-Known TGT Supporter

May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    So a friend of mine recently decided to get his gun collection started. He was inspired by seasonal visits to his property by Rattlesnakes. He has been eyeballing a Mossberg 590A-1 12ga. w/18" barrel. Personally I think any standard bird gun will perform better from greater distance. And I am not the type to want to get close to a Rattler. Anyhow, anyone with some snake blastin' experience, please let me know what works best for you. Also, I know a .410 can get it done but I think he's lookin for a multi-purpose gun so think 12ga. Thanks - Texmex:fighting0010:

2. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I think that your buddy is right on the money. The shorter barrel is easy to keep in the truck and quicker to get out. But you are also right, any standard bird gun will do.

3. cowboy45

cowboy45 Active Member

May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    I think, pretty much any shotgun will do with some bird shot for a tight pattern. I usually kill them with the noise. That would be me screaming like a little girl "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY! BAMBAMBAMBAMBAM etc!!!.

But thats only my 2 cents worth.
    Be Safe

4. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Yeah I think as long as it is a powder burning firearm i.e not a pellet gun you can kill snakes with it for sure. And yes some pellet guns kill snakes.

5. cowboy45

cowboy45 Active Member

May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    A pellet gun is hard to hit with while you are high stepping. That is where the shotgun rules.

6. country_boy

country_boy TGT Addict

Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    a 20 gauge works. Although a 12 gauge might be overkill, its my favorite choice with a 20" barrel and mag extension.

7. hoytinak

hoytinak Active Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas of course
    I know this is the shotgun section but I just use my GP100 with CCI .38spl shot shells, used it many of times on rattlesnakes in the yard with good results.

[​IMG]

8. wegriffin8642

wegriffin8642 New Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Houston
    Like HOYTINAK, I've loaded a few .38 shotshells and carry a .38 Ruger on my hip when walking about the fields and streams...the #7 shot makes a deadly pattern to about 15 feet, enough so to stop any snakes I've ever encountered.

9. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    My dad has killed countless snakes with an old .22 revolver. At first glance, it may seem a bad choice. However, it is very easy to handle, accurate, and doesn't make too much noise.

10. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    For the shot gun route, a short barrel isn't going to make any difference in kill proficiency. Even a smooth bore 18" slug barrel with no choke will have enough patter to kill a rattler up to about 20 yards. Kinda hard to even see them at that distance.