• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    So a friend of mine recently decided to get his gun collection started. He was inspired by seasonal visits to his property by Rattlesnakes. He has been eyeballing a Mossberg 590A-1 12ga. w/18" barrel. Personally I think any standard bird gun will perform better from greater distance. And I am not the type to want to get close to a Rattler. Anyhow, anyone with some snake blastin' experience, please let me know what works best for you. Also, I know a .410 can get it done but I think he's lookin for a multi-purpose gun so think 12ga. Thanks - Texmex
    Hurley's Gold

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I think that your buddy is right on the money. The shorter barrel is easy to keep in the truck and quicker to get out. But you are also right, any standard bird gun will do.

cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    I think, pretty much any shotgun will do with some bird shot for a tight pattern. I usually kill them with the noise. That would be me screaming like a little girl "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY! BAMBAMBAMBAMBAM etc!!!.

But thats only my 2 cents worth.
    Be Safe

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I think, pretty much any shotgun will do with some bird shot for a tight pattern. I usually kill them with the noise. That would be me screaming like a little girl "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY! BAMBAMBAMBAMBAM etc!!!.

But thats only my 2 cents worth.
    Be Safe
    Yeah I think as long as it is a powder burning firearm i.e not a pellet gun you can kill snakes with it for sure. And yes some pellet guns kill snakes.

hoytinak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas of course
    I know this is the shotgun section but I just use my GP100 with CCI .38spl shot shells, used it many of times on rattlesnakes in the yard with good results.

93480130.jpg

wegriffin8642

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Houston
    Like HOYTINAK, I've loaded a few .38 shotshells and carry a .38 Ruger on my hip when walking about the fields and streams...the #7 shot makes a deadly pattern to about 15 feet, enough so to stop any snakes I've ever encountered.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    My dad has killed countless snakes with an old .22 revolver. At first glance, it may seem a bad choice. However, it is very easy to handle, accurate, and doesn't make too much noise.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    For the shot gun route, a short barrel isn't going to make any difference in kill proficiency. Even a smooth bore 18" slug barrel with no choke will have enough patter to kill a rattler up to about 20 yards. Kinda hard to even see them at that distance.

cpf3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    << ...but I just use my GP100 with CCI .38spl shot shells, used it many of times on rattlesnakes in the yard with good results. >>

Then skin them with your Native?

Me too.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    know this is the shotgun section but I just use my GP100 with CCI .38spl shot shells, used it many of times on rattlesnakes in the yard with good results.

93480130.jpg

That's a nice looking snake killer, you got there... hoytinak.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    So far I think my buddy will stick with his initial plan. It looks like the shorter barrel will be a non-factor for snake blastin'. I like the thought of the shotshells too, much more conveneint than bringing out the bird gun. Thanks for the input ya'll - Texmex

ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    I like the .22 pistol option myself. So long as you don't plan on missing and getting the critter cranky you should be fine. Since this was posted in the shotgun section a single shot 410 would be a fine choice to leave in any truck.

Top Bottom