• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    I have using CCI CB Shorts in my Heritage revolver for general pest control in my two acre yard but I have had difficulty with one shot kills on two of the larger critters I have to deal with. The CB does a good job up to the large squirrels but it requires multiple shots on feral cats and possums. We are just on the edge of the city limits and people dump their cats in the area because they see the large lots and think that Mittens will enjoy the country life without any regard for what they will do to our chicks or flower beds...nothing is worse than going out to the garden to pick some veggies and finding cat crap all over. The possums are the worst because those ugly critters can take some good lead and can get nasty when cornered up against the house.

Anyway, because of the extra noise from the cylinder gap and 5 1/2" barrel, I am looking at going to either the CCI Quiet-Segmented HP 40 gr or the CCI Suppressor 42 gr. I like the higher bullet weight of the suppressor round but think the segmented hp on the Quiet might provide a better wound channel for quicker kill. If possible I want to avoid chasing a screaming wounded animal around the lot while trying to deliver a fatal second round. Most of my shots are at 50 ft or less because beyond that they are usually out of sight and I don't like to use the pistol at anything farther out.

Any suggestions? BTW I have considered the Aguila 60 gr SSS but not to keen on some of the reports on how dirty they are and their potential for poor accuracy.
    Military Camp

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Most .22LR is subsonic from a pistol. It’s the actual report that is loud.

Going heavier while keeping reasonable velocity will still be louder than a regular CB short.

I’d recommend using a rifle. Many varmints have been dropped with a single CB round from a bolt action or single shot rifle. It’s all about wound channel placement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Know the Bandido hit squads used to prefer Winchester Wildcats in their silenced .22s. Pretty sure those run sub sonic. What are the pesky possums doing to cause problems? They are generally considered beneficial critters in these parts and very unlikely to spread rabies as per other mammals particularly skunks. The dog catcher lady said they have some kinda unique saliva which dont lend itself to being a problem. Thanks.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I'll second the advice on moving to a rifle, at the risk of getting off-track from the OP's original query.

I fired many a round of super colibri in a rifle and never drew attention even when I lived in the city. The same round in a revolver was 10x louder.

Where are you located? I'll give you a handful of the Aguila SSS's if you are local.

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    I'll second the advice on moving to a rifle, at the risk of getting off-track from the OP's original query.

I fired many a round of super colibri in a rifle and never drew attention even when I lived in the city. The same round in a revolver was 10x louder.

Where are you located? I'll give you a handful of the Aguila SSS's if you are local.
    Best advice I ever heard. Thanks. I thought he couldnt or wouldnt use a rifle for some reason. I used to have an old Marlin lever action which made a short sound like a finger snap. Hey hes in town and prob dont want to walk around with a rifle in view least the swat team dont arrive to neutralize the threat. Yep..bet thats it.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Best advice I ever heard. Thanks. I thought he couldnt or wouldnt use a rifle for some reason. I used to have an old Marlin lever action which made a short sound like a finger snap. Hey hes in town and prob dont want to walk around with a rifle in view least the swat team dont arrive to neutralize the threat. Yep..bet thats it.
    Most likely.

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014

That's downright neighborly of you! Problem is that I am 200 miles due north of you...long drive for a handful of free .22lr. No, honestly, I think you have answered my question about the SSS being the way to go. Problem is I currently don't have a .22 rifle so my back yard shooting has been between my .410 and the .22 pistol. I really like shooting with a handgun but there is no getting around the noise and reduced ammo performance. I guess I should bite the bullet and spring $250 for a decent rifle. That will bring up a whole new set of choices...

Oh, and about the SWAT team coming out if I am carrying my gun....in this hick town they think SWAT stands for Southern Womens Azalea Tour. The local Barney's are all about speed traps and not much more. I had to call them out once when my neighbor's cattle got out into my yard and the guy who responded was afraid to get out of his car!

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    That's downright neighborly of you! Problem is that I am 200 miles due north of you...long drive for a handful of free .22lr. No, honestly, I think you have answered my question about the SSS being the way to go. Problem is I currently don't have a .22 rifle so my back yard shooting has been between my .410 and the .22 pistol. I really like shooting with a handgun but there is no getting around the noise and reduced ammo performance. I guess I should bite the bullet and spring $250 for a decent rifle. That will bring up a whole new set of choices...

Oh, and about the SWAT team coming out if I am carrying my gun....in this hick town they think SWAT stands for Southern Womens Azalea Tour. The local Barney's are all about speed traps and not much more. I had to call them out once when my neighbor's cattle got out into my yard and the guy who responded was afraid to get out of his car!
    Would venture to say as we are going for stealthy and expecially using the weak loads would think a cheap old bolt action or single shot would work ok Anything with a closed breech and definitely not a semi auto should be just what the doctor ordered. I had two Marlin 39As over the years. Best .22 a person can buy in my book. They will cycle anything if you hold it level when working the lever.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    You should rethink killing opossums.

Here is why;

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/know-opossums-eat-virtually-ticks-yard/

Unless you like ticks.

Feral cats on the other hand.......

I am positive the SSS in the 60 grain Aguila .22 ammo means something other than SubSonicSniper, lol.
    I’ve read that too along with another article that claimed they were nomadic and would be gone soon anyway. I’ve decided to let the ugly critters live.

Raccoons don’t get that option though. Either by trap or by lead, they don’t stick around. Same with dillos, them tearing up my yard and burrowing under the house. I see one it goes down.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I never took issue with dillos and enjoy watching them rummage around. First time I ever had a problem was last year when one uprooted an entire row of black eye peas.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    IBTW I have considered the Aguila 60 gr SSS but not to .

the 60 gr Aguilla are hard hitting and plenty accurate out of a pistol.

They do not stabalize and will tumble and go through a target sideways which is just fine if the target is something you want dead.

One of my 22 cans (Gemtech I think) mentioned, in the instructions, NOT to use them due to tumbling baffle strikes.

Out of a rifle they slam pretty hard.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    The one problem I have with opossums is that are the one creature dumb enough to keep wandering around the place with a big dog on constant patrol duty.
    So the big dog keeps bringing saliva-covered opossums through his doggy door into the kitchen, proud as can be!!!
    Better than Lyme's

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    the 60 gr Aguilla are hard hitting and plenty accurate out of a pistol.

They do not stabalize and will tumble and go through a target sideways which is just fine if the target is something you want dead.

One of my 22 cans (Gemtech I think) mentioned, in the instructions, NOT to use them due to tumbling baffle strikes.

Out of a rifle they slam pretty hard.

At what range are they accurate? Seems like a tumbling bullets would get off track pretty quickly.

I’ve shot some SSS out of an old bolt action and they didn’t seem to bad but we were just shooting a largish plate at 100yards. No idea if they were tumbling but I assume they weren’t.

jetcycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Shoreacres, TX
    For small critter control, I really like the CCI segmented rounds, but my experience is based off of running them through a suppressed rifle so I can’t speculate on the noise. I second the Henry recommendation!

Top Bottom