• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    Did a quck search but didn’t find any recent threads. Wanted to ask about supermarket steaks, specifically filets and t-bones. I have been underwhelmed by Brookshires (including Fresh), Kroger and Sprouts. I shop at the Marketstreet in Mansfield when I visit my son and their meat counter looks pretty good but it’s a two hour drive home so I only buy bakery and dry goods there. Don’t have a H-E-B close by and the local butcher shops and ranch beef suppliers are pretty expensive.

Looking for recommendations within an hour drive of Tyler. Heard the Blue Store in Noonday is good but haven’t been there yet.
    Venture Surplus ad

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Good luck. Good beef is expensive, I should know because I buy a lot of it.

A couple of thoughts; the USDA grade of beef makes a lot of difference…Prime is top of the pyramid, then choice, with select on the bottom. Compare prime to prime pricing. I opt to support my butcher as often as possible, but HEB occasionally puts prime on sale for $10/lb cheaper than anybody else. That savings may get eaten up if you’ve got to drive a ways, though. If you’re already there though…get a styrofoam cooler and some dry ice to keep the steaks cool in the way home.

We generally buy one thicker ribeye or strip instead of two smaller steaks since we both eat them rare. That helps make the step up to prime a little bit cheaper overall.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    I sell beef from my own heard but until the animal is hanging we don't know how good each one will be. Point being, even if you buy direct from a rancher you may end up with a lot of select grade meat.

Some places use ultrasound on live animals to try and grade the meat before slaughter but that's a niche thing.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    If possible, look for smaller family owned grocery stores with a meat market or a dedicated meat market that will cut steaks to order for you. It's not the cheapest route to go for steaks, but it's probably the best way.

Personally, I'd steer clear of most supermarkets for quality steaks.

SrsTwist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2022
    Austin
    Central Market has good grass fed beef. It's expensive, but they have regular sales. Trader Joe's has some decent packaged small steaks for a good price. Randall's has really low prices, but if you dig through what they have you can usually find some gems.

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    This is where I order my REALLY good stuff, American Wagyu, it arrives vacuum packed / sealed / frozen with dry ice in a styrofoam cooler. AMAZING steaks! I still have some steaks left from my last order (1 lb NY Strips at $40-50 / lb or thereabouts - not sure what they are now).

For "everyday" steaks it's really hard to beat Central Market. Pricey but very tasty!

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    Amber Oaks Farm is a butcher who shows up at our local farmer's market -- good stuff. Grass fed, grass finished, the whole 9 yards.

Also, 1915 Farm (https://1915farm.com/pages/about-us) is a Texas farm that will ship free within Texas, we've been very happy with the quality of their meats.

There's a Costco about 30 miles from us, and their Prime cuts are often quite delicious. The price is also miles better than a boutique farm, if you have one of those near you, I'd check it out.

But if you're committed to only buying beef from an actual supermarket, I'd say Whole Foods is probably best, then Central Market (kinda the same thing), then HEB prime when it's on sale, as Todd mentioned above.

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    We've had the best prime tenderloins from HEB, except their waygu. It was tender but had no flavor at all. Sam's Club sells whole tenderloins, we've bought many over the years and they are always great. Since wal-mart gets their meats from the same place as sam's, they should be as good. Wal-mart hamburber is the best we've found, but I don't remember buying steaks there. I'm sure we have, just don't remember.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    I googled meat markets in Tyler and found this. 4.9 stars and the reviews seem good.
    Screenshot_20220815-182412_Maps.jpg

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    I know when our local Brookshire Brothers marks down their meat. I always get some ground chuck and when available, I'll get roasts or cut up stew beef. Put some in the freezer and eat it whenever the notion strikes.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Not all cattle are known for flavor. When the cattle are processed makes a big difference too. That being said their are only so many National slaughter house processing beef for the consumers. It’s here where the grading is done by the USDA. Some of it it now down with a camera where the rid meets the loin. Prime is top, there are grades below select. They generally go in to prepared foods.

While prime is king, prime briskets, ground meat, skirts & short ribs is the consumer getting hosed. Branded beef is marketing, not to be confused with grade of meat. If I want “Angus Beef” I want Certified Angus Beef, because on the criterial in choosing traits of the animal.

Cutting makes up a big part of it too. I have seen lots of crappy meat cutters. Cooking is the biggest thing. A tard meat cutter with a tard attempting to table a great steak out look not so good.

I have ate more bad venison then store bought meat simply because of how it was handled from death to table. Venison can be way more enjoyable is only it got colder down fast then hung at the right temperature for a while.

Top Bottom