• ...and so much more!
  • Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I was eating oxtails and skirt steak back when those parts were often thrown away because no one wanted them.

Skinny jeans? Please!
    Haha, ya Dad (pre boomer) told me that skirt steak was bottom rung when he grew up. That, and Velveeta. My how things have changed Queso and fajitas demand top dollar now

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    LOL! Even meat cuts are political.
    Look I cut meat in Houston for 36 years, and yes meat is politicized by the regions of the country it was made popular in. New York Strip or Kansas City Strip, Delmonico steak or Chuck Eye Steak, Flat Iron steak or Blade Steak, Hanger Steak or Butchers steak. Most times the person asking for these items has an annoying accent & bitching about people being stupid.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Hotdogs and Jello have to come from somewhere
    th-2198464195.jpeg

th-1855154200.jpeg

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Hotdogs and Jello have to come from somewhere

For phucs sakes nothing get thrown away! You might not see the hooves & hide being retail at the store but it being sold. Bones, brains, blood & lets not forget rennet.
    We always had a feedlot calf or two when I was growing up, and we ate pretty much everything but the hide and hoofs.
    Hardly a week went by that Mom didn't pack a fried brain sandwich in our school lunch sacks.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    For phucs sakes nothing get thrown away!
    Of course, you're absolutely right and I was exaggerating for emphasis.

I have no idea what the little butcher shop in the small town in which I grew up did with skirt steak and oxtails after they sat in the display case for too long but I assume it was something useful.

Prisondoc210

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Converse
    Gonna pick up a half beef Friday.
    3rd one from the same ranch/processor in 5 years.
    Grass fed. Grain finished.
    Cut to my specifications.

I probably won't buy store beef for another year or more.

It's much better and averages out to about 1/2 price on the premium cuts.
    Ground is a little higher, but way better.
    How many pounds does a half beef yield?

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    I remember when I was a kid in the 50’s. I used to go with my dad to a local meat market where I can remember the sign out front proclaiming they had Grade BBB meat! We would go in and my dad would buy a bunch of those big round steaks and they would wrap them in paper. When we got home my mom would sharpen a knife then slice the round steaks in half lengthwise to make them about 1/3” thick, then she would fry them in a cast iron skillet until they resembled shoe leather. As kids we knew no better so we just tore into them. Life was much simpler then

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    Look I cut meat in Houston for 36 years, and yes meat is politicized by the regions of the country it was made popular in. New York Strip or Kansas City Strip, Delmonico steak or Chuck Eye Steak, Flat Iron steak or Blade Steak, Hanger Steak or Butchers steak. Most times the person asking for these items has an annoying accent & bitching about people being stupid.
    I just bought "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" by Julia Childs - looking to expand my cuisine repertoire LOL! Reading through the Beef section last night - depending on which side of the pond you are on - different names for different cuts but sometimes the same name for a cut of X here which is a cut of Y there, apparently different butchering methods as well...of course, the book is 50+ years old (club steak? LOL)...I knew a lot of the cuts as I've done enough traveling and EATING at overseas restaurants and here.....entrecôte? Si vous plait!! (ribeye? Yes please!!). I love to learn...especially when it's about food...especially meat...where's that grill? LOL!!

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I just want to know where or if I can ever find cheap oxtails... :(
    Yeah it's nuts they are so expensive these days. They aren't as gelatinous as oxtails, but I like slow cooking shank. Fortunately that's still reasonable.

For supermarket steaks, I usually stick to ribeyes. Easier to find a nicely marbled ribeye than other cuts.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    As a kid, (50;s) I recall grass fed was considered inferior to feed lot beef - Now it's the opposite.

Why?

Is it for the weight conscious or...?

Top Bottom