APOD Firearms

Best way to send in CHL application packet?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SiNNiK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Austin, Tx.
    Should I drop it in the mail or drop it off at the DPS office. Red's mentioned something about Building I, but I don't recall what exactly.
    DK Firearms

SiNNiK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Austin, Tx.
    Ok, thanks. You had them sign something that shows they had received the application, was that a form they had already, or did you make one up?

SiNNiK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Austin, Tx.
    i made one up but i modeled it after an Army form known as a DA-200, you should be able to find a copy if you google it.

Had you received your license already? If so, do you think you shaved any time off of the waiting period by turning it in in person? Turned mine in yesterday. I knew the guard that was on duty, I wonder if that gets me any "points"? :)

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I was actually declined because the state required me to get a PyscEval done since im a Vet and the VA refuses to do that Evals and i cant afford a private practice shrink to do the eval. But it cuts out the postal service which is slow and the mail room at DPS which is even slower. Plus they will check you packet when you turn it in by hand and tell you if you need anything else so that if you do youre not playing tag through the post office.

Moss_Berg5150

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Is it necessary to do this or is this just something you might want to do to expedite the process? I only ask cause I'm taking my class next week and will be sending off my packet and I don’t want anything to delay the already outrageous processing time. How long is the turn aronund anyway?

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Its not that big of a difference in turn around time you can mail it in but since i live relatively near the DPS office i hand delivered mine and gave the advice to SiNNiK because he does aswell.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I was actually declined because the state required me to get a PyscEval done since im a Vet and the VA refuses to do that Evals and i cant afford a private practice shrink to do the eval.

Huh? I am also a vet (retired) and didn't have to do a psych eval for my CHL. Were there extenuating circumstances?

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    how long since you applied for yours? Mine was back in July and they said it was a new Policy because of all the PTSD and Traumatic Brain Injury reports in vets.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I've had my CHL for several years now, it's due for renewal in 2011 so I guess around three years. Still, I have not heard that new policy, does anyone have a source for it? It's not listed on the DPS site for eligibility, nor was it listed in the 2009 Legislative Changes to the Concealed Handgun Licensing Act.

There was a proposal for that would have required a psychological evaluation for licensing proposed during the 78th Texas Legislature back in 2003, but it failed to pass (source) and it wasn't specifically directed towards veterans.

Certain types of psychological diagnoses can disqualify individuals, but I can find no requirement for psychological evaluations for veterans. I would be very interested in seeing what law requires it...

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    It was the State Dept of Health Services Medical Review Board that sent me the paper work. when they first asked for it i sent in my Separation Eval that i had to do since i was medical retired. They said that it would not work because it didn't specifically say that i "have the the mental and emotional stability to properly and safely handle and store firearms". So i went to the VA and they refused to do the eval and I'm too poor to pay a private shrink. The VA has been working my claim since April and from the way they talk when i call to check on it it sounds like they are going to deny my claim. I also applied as a recently separated Vet for the discount so that might have had something to do with it.

Top Bottom