Military Camp

Best way to touch up a parkerized barrel?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Today I picked up a Mossberg 590A1 Tactical (#50779) with an 18.5” parkerized heavy barrel and bead sight. I was actually looking for the non-A1 version of this SG which does not have a heavy barrel (#50778) but this one was too good to pass up and includes 4-shell Speedfeed stock set.

Now the bad – it was an Officer’s cruiser gun. Cruiser guns typically don’t get shot much, which is good, but they sure do get marked up. This one has lots of handling marks on both the receiver and barrel where it scraped something going into or out of the cruiser or on a barrier.

So, back to my original question – for those of you that have tried it, what have you found to be the best way to eliminate or minimize the handling marks? Mind you, the metal underneath has not been gouged, just surface finish has scraped up against something. I am looking forward to your collect wisdom. Thanks!
    Target Sports

kenboyles72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    Try the Birchwood Casey Super Blue
    better yet
    https://www.brownells.com/aspx/search/productdetail.aspx?pid=1108

Placing some on 0000 steel wool accelerates the darkening process. It reacts with the steel wool and accelerates the reaction on other metals as well. The steel wool surface area is the key here. Use this to darken the metal as you see fit. Follow the directions, degrease, wipe clean, apply, stop with water and repeat. Steel wool can always be used to remove any light blue sheen that is sometimes seen if directions are not followed. Reaction is 100% stopped by oil addition. That is why you must degrease first.

There is really no good way of touching up a parkerized finish, cold blue or blue black will be as close as you can get. Just be careful when applying the blue, get a small brush and apply as little as you can to just the scratches, that way you don't get to much on the surrounding area and make it to dark.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom